Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 50 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2012, 09:25 PM   #491
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for finding the patent Dave. I admit I didn't look as you did. I noticed that when you look up Daniel, you'll find a number of patents but not the speakers just computer stuff.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:32 PM   #492
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Progress, and I want to tell you about a sign from god. [must be 'cause I'm not that smart and I don't know who else to give the credit to.]

I have been wondering about attaching the trim pieces. I want it to be fairly fast as I am an impatient person. I want it to be fully adhered, not just spot adhered to reduce the chance of buzzing. I would like to use hot glue but the run is too long so I was settling on wood glue. Damn, wood glue takes a while to set up and needs lots of clamps. Hmph! Then it hit me. Lay a bead of wood glue with small gaps at set intervals. Use hot glue in the gaps and voila! Fully adhered and the hot glue does the clamping. They were done in no time. Wahoo!

I have a lot of cleaning to do before I mount the drivers so no pics yet but I'm sure I'll have them in a bit.

I also notice how the quality of workmanship goes downhill post-rum so last night's effort was well, how do you say...

...nah, I not saying anything, they'll be fine.
I did the same thing by using combo hot glue to clamp or tack in pkace and white pva to glue and seal the foam channels on my first one. The truth is I was running low on glue sticks and did this to conserve but found it works well as a clamp. Serendipty and necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:14 PM   #493
Doug R is offline Doug R  United States
diyAudio Member

From the Peanut Gallery:

For attaching trim, tightly-stretched blue masking tape every two inches (perpendicular to the joint) or so works fine with wood glue. It's routinely used to apply trim to kitchen countertops, etc. Also, if you feel rushed, Elmer's white glue is just as good as Titebond and sets up more slowly.

Doug
Old 8th December 2012, 12:24 AM   #494
diyAudio Member

OK, I printed Dave's PDF, dimensioned it, built an AkAbak model, scaled it to Cal's size (70 x 70 x 11.5 cm) and used Fostex FF125K T-S specs. The results are attached.
- The dimensions are "all over the map". The plan needs redrawing to make the horn sections taper more evenly. The "round spiral" cornu plans may be better.
- There are multiple resonances, as indicated by the SPL and impedance curves. Note the behaviour around 150 Hz. I did not include stuffing, so real life won't look as bad as the model.

Next step is to make an "ideal" AkAbak model - regular horn tapers. I have my doubts about the multiple path length horns, I'll try it with single length paths too.
Attached Images
File Type: png Cornu 1 SPL.png (34.1 KB, 471 views)
File Type: png Cornu 1 Impedance.png (33.6 KB, 449 views)
Old 8th December 2012, 12:45 AM   #495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
OK, I printed Dave's PDF, dimensioned it, built an AkAbak model, scaled it to Cal's size (70 x 70 x 11.5 cm) and used Fostex FF125K T-S specs. The results are attached.
- The dimensions are "all over the map". The plan needs redrawing to make the horn sections taper more evenly. The "round spiral" cornu plans may be better.
- There are multiple resonances, as indicated by the SPL and impedance curves. Note the behaviour around 150 Hz. I did not include stuffing, so real life won't look as bad as the model.

Next step is to make an "ideal" AkAbak model - regular horn tapers. I have my doubts about the multiple path length horns, I'll try it with single length paths too.
Great! Someone finally modeling this thing. How do you model the split lengths? The sound that Cal describes appears to be lots of bass, whereas the sim is low on bass with lots of mid range peaks. Do you mind scaling it to 20 in (50 cm) and running it with the Vifa tc9fd- assume round spirals if it helps? Also, at the 70 cm, the longest path should get down to about 38 Hz, the sim shows falloff below 50 Hz. Thanks for tackling this.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:50 AM   #496
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R View Post
For attaching trim, tightly-stretched blue masking tape every two inches (perpendicular to the joint)
That would work if the baffles weren't freshly oiled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
The sound that Cal describes appears to be lots of bass
Yes, but that peak at 200 Hz is very apparent. Stuffing will be the key here.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:54 AM   #497
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have the trim applied and did the following stuffing:

First is the horn throat stuffing, worked into place with fingers and a spoon.
Next is the birds nest I created for the driver.
Last is the view of the chamber when stuffed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00614.jpg (83.6 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00615.jpg (72.8 KB, 424 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00616.jpg (90.1 KB, 424 views)
Old 8th December 2012, 12:58 AM   #498
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

That stuffing sucked the life out of the system. Limited bass but the mids returned. I guess that was too close to aperiodic.

Removed the throat insulation and left the chamber with the birds nest. We are getting close now. Some of that 200Hz is still there but with a touch of throat insulation I am guessing we can look after that.
Old 8th December 2012, 01:01 AM   #499
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Pics:

I see there is still a little glue string and a grill cloth tuck needed in the middle pick. Oops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00624.jpg (114.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00622.jpg (95.2 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00623.jpg (91.4 KB, 259 views)
Old 8th December 2012, 01:04 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
The stuffing sucked the life out of the cabinet. Limited bass but the mids returned. I guess that was too close to aperiodic.

Removed the throat insulation and left the chamber heavily stuffed. We are getting close now. Some of that 200Hz is still there but with a touch of throat insulation I am guessing we can look after that.
Cal,
Thanks for the minute play by play with your adjustments. Are you using a spectrum analyzer? Even software one using the computer mic is helpful.
I am listening to mine now and think that I must have just gotten lucky with the light stuffing i put in the throat.
Xrk971

Hide this!Advertise here!