Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You could just tack the foam board in place with hot glue and then fill the gaps with caulk I suppose.

Yes, that's what makes this project workable. I used nothing but hot glue on phase 1 of the spiral but I had to keep telling myself not to tool it like caulk.

The skin has almost grown back on my finger.

I just dripped hot glue on my arm today. Ouch! I actually smooth the hot melt like caulk with my fingers but there is a trick: flip your finger around so that the finger nail does the tooling. Don't do too long of a stretch and you won't burn.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Based on comments that a pleated paper surround isn't necessarily bad, I went ahead with those cheap drivers into my 'Wedge' mp3 player stereo foam core build. Here is the box getting stuffed with pillow fill. The amp and transformer go into the right TL.

Attachments

• aframe-06-328479933.jpg
    aframe-06-328479933.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 643
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I finished the build of the Wedge TL mp3 stereo player using the cheap Microcenter drivers and amp. I put some magnets on the original grill covers to hide the ugly drivers. First listening impressions: not so good, I think I have to play with the stuffing but it sounds tinny, maybe worse than original plastic cabinets (which I modded with pillow stuffing so they weren't too bad). This also might be a case of the odd triangle shape of the TL contracting and expanding. Usually, a basic TL sounds better than tiny box. The form factor is convenient though and it sits nicely flush against wall on the back of a desk if your desk backs against a wall. I will post before / after sound once I finish tweaking stuffing - good or bad. I am hoping to make it the norm that folks share the sounds of their creations as well as photos. :)

Attachments

• aframe-10-328479933.jpg
    aframe-10-328479933.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 585
  • aframe-121337329190.jpg
    aframe-121337329190.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 571
May I offer a tip? As one who has experienced the 'kiss' of hot glue, I now wear disposable latex gloves when using the glue gun. This has saved me considerable pain.

And looking towards the new year, when I hope to have a bit of free time, I am planning on giving the 27" Cornucopya a try. An old friend who died a couple years back left me a pair of DIY speakers containing Altec Lansing 405A (4.5" ?) drivers. The small sealed cabinets produced nothing in the bass region, so I have been wanting to try them out in something fast, cheap, easy...

Cheers, Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just looked at the specs for the Altec 405a driver. Looks like it could work well in a Cornu, but lacks a sparkling high end which may be needed to balance the large bass output of the horn. You can always add stuffing to balance out though. It's an older driver but has high sensitivity of 92 db. It's a good size though at 4 inch nominal size.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=altec%20lansing%20405a&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.greatplainsaudio.com%2Fvintage_altec%2F405A_ceilingspkr_spec_sheet.pdf&ei=JU_PULWZCO7q0QHI6oBA&usg=AFQjCNG0S436JKhKDVm_ChzaQEODyIoB0A&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.dmQ

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Couldn't this enclosure be converted to a two way with something like the Audax 10 mm Dome. I have used several over the years and consider them quite a bargain.

Bob,

I have thought about this 2 way idea too. I was looking at the Pioneer TS A878 3.5 inch coaxial two way. It has some nice specs and good efficiency. It might be a drop in swap for the Vifa cutout? Your suggestion of a discrete tweeter could be done by putting the tweeter a little offset, or stretching out the driver cavity to an oval or rectangle rather than square. We had a discussion about rectangular cornu's earier. Someone should try it or my coaxial idea.

Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

I have two of the Audax on hand. Can one of you gurus suggest a super simple crossover to match them up with the Vifa TC9FD-18-08. I know that's a full range, but a split in the spectrum might relieve some of the load on the Vifa. I have some 3" woofers also, but I'll have to find the specs.

We had a discussion about rectangular cornu's earier. Someone should try it or my coaxial idea.

Ive been considering a pair of cornus with my little Alpine 4inch coax drivers. but would also like to do a rectangular horn with my (also) Alpine TypeR 6x9 drivers.

if bass is where its at, id like to have a set of speakers that effortlessly pumps it out. im very much disliking my BR speakers for this reason, they seem very strained to do any real output.

so, i guess the Q comes to what happens to the horn path when its stretched one direction only? someone said it shrinks in sections?

There's nothing magic about the Cornu's "split horn" design. (Short "primary" horns, each splitting into long and short "secondary" horns.) Modelling indicates that the area discontinuity where the horns join causes the main resonance to be higher than it otherwise could be.

You could just as easily design it as a single length horn in Hornresp, then coil two horns each half the area of the single horn so that they exit from the short sides of the (rectangular) enclosure.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have two of the Audax on hand. Can one of you gurus suggest a super simple crossover to match them up with the Vifa TC9FD-18-08. I know that's a full range, but a split in the spectrum might relieve some of the load on the Vifa. I have some 3" woofers also, but I'll have to find the specs.

The TC9FD needs no tweeter, you would be adding the messy crossover into an otherwise Nice FR. Maybe a sub to make it into a FAST but no tweeter.