Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 107 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 01:30 PM   #1061
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
For your viewing pleasure: Henkjan's desktop TL in foam board.

Compared to my cornus, these are much more quick-and-dirty, however I am much more pleased with the result. I'll definitely be making a real pair as soon as I am able.
I LIKE those speakers! Did you take any internal pics? How big is the mouth in the rear?
Old 10th January 2013, 01:38 PM   #1062
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Nice work Chaz.
Old 11th January 2013, 01:50 PM   #1063
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default BIB with Foam Core and Vifa

I might try this next with the Vifa's and foam core - based on Jhutka's build in wood and burlap.

diyAudio

The box will be 27 in tall and 6-3/8 in x 8-3/8 in deep assuming 3/16 in thick foam core boards. The 27 in height is perfect as it is under 30 in length of Dollar store foam core stock.

The BIB Calculator (xls spreadsheet) is available here: diyAudio
Old 11th January 2013, 03:45 PM   #1064
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
I LIKE those speakers! Did you take any internal pics? How big is the mouth in the rear?
BP1, I didn't take an internal pic but there is still a hole in the side that I could snap a photo of. Actually, just take a look at this thread and you'll get an exact idea of what I did:

desktop TL with 3" driver (with real bass)

So you can see that the mouth is very small. These speakers have a lot of promise though! Even with foam core, I tested the bass as being good to the mid- to low-fifties and I'm sure the sound would be much better in wood. I expect to get around to making a proper version of these as well as some other speakers in March or April.
Old 11th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #1065
diyAudio Member

Chaz,
Those TL speakers with the small opening do look really nice. Awesome to hear that they go down to the 50's. They make me think of a BIB flipped around. I guess it works either way but BIB will have more output due to bigger mouth

A camera on hand during builds is a must in this forum!
Old 12th January 2013, 04:58 PM   #1066
diyAudio Member

Default Micro Stereo BIB - new build

I had left over cuttings of foam from the last horn build and decide to make a little stereo mp3 player box with some drivers and amp pulled from the Logitech S120 pc speakers. I was inspired by Jhutka's little Vifa BIB and wondered what it would sound like if taken even smaller. Using the BIB calculator spreadsheet, I plugged in the Fs, Qts, and Vas for a Visaton FRS5 which I think looks closest to the drivers from the S120. The calculator gave a box size of 5 in x 7 in x 13 in tall with a 10 in long divider. I wanted to make a stereo pair so the overall box will be 10 in wide. Accounting for the 3/16 in thick foam cores, the overall dimensions were just a little bigger. The build was extremely easy and I can see why the BIB design is so popular. That is about as far as I got, I will fire it up and report on the sound later.
A very easy 2 hour project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIB-micro-01.jpg (123.6 KB, 534 views)
File Type: jpg BIB-micro-02.jpg (124.5 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg BIB-micro-03.jpg (121.3 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg BIB-micro-04.jpg (133.4 KB, 464 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 12th January 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12th January 2013, 10:13 PM   #1067
diyAudio Member

Default Update on BIB

The sound is very nice, too much bass actually, if that is even possible with a 2 in driver. I had to add extra stuffing all the way past the fold point to balance the sound. It's a very nice sounding mp3 player now. I can only imagine what the bass from an 8 in driver and 72 in tall cabinet sounds like.
Old 13th January 2013, 11:24 AM   #1068
diyAudio Member

Used a 7 year old 4" CSS driver no xover. Powered by a Lepai 2020A+. About 5w of clean output.
Very clean, clear sound and good bass until 60hz.
Box: 4.5w x 7.5h x 10d
Made the box as small as I wanted for a computer speaker, no box calculations were harmed during this build. The driver flange is 5" so it overhangs the box.
Used packing tape as a sealant! Ugly...but its only a quick test...that may last a long time.

The foam core box is semi-transparent to the music, giving it a pleasing, open, room filling sound.
Foam core is 3/16 thick 20x30 sheets from AC Moore for $1.97 each.

The foam patch on front is where I tried a port and covered it back up.
Stuck a 4" x 1.5" port tube in the back side of the box.
Using this youtube video:Ultimate Bass Test : 100 hz - 1 hz | Sine Wave Subwoofer Tester Tones : 100hz to 1hz - MY BEST EVER - YouTube
The bass output is very flat until 60-65hz then rolls off. Yeah, too lazy to pull out the mic and stuff to measure it!

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by makingmoney; 13th January 2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:17 PM   #1069
diyAudio Member

Try hot melt glue with the foam core box. It makes a difference and your bass will improve. Tape leaks and flexes. Nice to see others trying the foam core builds out though.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:10 PM   #1070
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=makingmoney;3304380]Click the image to open in full size.

I got some plastic boxes (heresy on this board!) that I want to glue these Aurasound drivers into.

What glue would create a lasting and airtight seal for metal (driver) and Plastic (box)?

Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!