Foam Core Board Speaker Enclosures? - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2013, 10:20 AM   #1031
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

ChrisRiggle,
Hey thanks! This project is a lot of fun but I would say it is one of the more advanced builds compared to the spiral horn. The curved wing turned out better than I thought it would. How this one will sound remains to be seen (urh, I mean herd....), but I have a feeling it's gonna be great!
Old 6th January 2013, 01:41 PM   #1032
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel Foam 3 (FF3) First Impressions

I mounted the Vifa this morning, used a small amount of stuffing behind driver and no more than 2 inches below it. I only have a mono setup so I will have to say that it may be different with stereo but... what I have heard, I really like. I put it through maybe 6 different songs I use to test sound and they all sound very nice. It is very different in character to Cornu which has a very wide soundstage and has much more mid bass. This FF3 sounds more even in character and the bass appears to go lower in frequency or is more pronounced than Cornu at sub 100 Hz. I almost want to say that it sounds more neutral - almost like a studio monitor. The trebles and and vocals sound fantastic, and there is a nice tight and punchy lower bass. However, it needs more volume before the bass kicks in whereas the Cornu is better at lower volumes. This may have to do with placement - I have it about 2 ft from a wall right now. When I place my hand at the vent, you definitely feel the pressure wave on the kick drums. Amazing bass for a 3.5 in driver actually. It will be interesting to see how it measures and compare to the sims.

I really like the sound which can now do rock much better. I think it is a great speaker in a 30 in cabinet paired with the TC9FD. I highly recommend this build. 3.5 sheets of foam per speaker is required.
Attached is a quick sound clip for you to get the idea of the sound. I had a lot of fun building this and the best part is the speaker looks great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foam-FH3-build-finished125137105.jpg (106.8 KB, 559 views)
File Type: jpg Foam-FH3-build-finished2866336856.jpg (91.9 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg Foam-FH3-build-finished3-960557547.jpg (97.6 KB, 542 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip FrugelFoam3-clip.zip (971.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by xrk971; 6th January 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 6th January 2013, 03:08 PM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Xrk,
Those look great. Got to thinking on finishing, these could be fiberglass coated, of course that adds a bit to the project. Even a simple cotton material, think t-shirt, could be stretched accords the surface and then coated with resin. Many times this method is used for odd angles or custom boxes, then covered with the fiberglass mesh. May not have to go that far with the foam core providing the strength. Just an idea...
Old 6th January 2013, 04:02 PM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Zayne,
That's a good idea that I will have to try one day. The polyurethane resin is a sticky noxious mess. I think that pva glue and cloth saturated with it will do a lot. This is cheap and non toxic. The speakers don't really need the strength, they seem to sound pretty good as is. It would add durability to the cabinet and probably raise the resonance frequency. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 6th January 2013, 04:18 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I mounted the Vifa this morning, used a small amount of stuffing behind driver and no more than 2 inches below it. I only have a mono setup so I will have to say that it may be different with stereo but... what I have heard, I really like. I put it through maybe 6 different songs I use to test sound and they all sound very nice. It is very different in character to Cornu which has a very wide soundstage and has much more mid bass. This FF3 sounds more even in character and the bass appears to go lower in frequency or is more pronounced than Cornu at sub 100 Hz. I almost want to say that it sounds more neutral - almost like a studio monitor. The trebles and and vocals sound fantastic, and there is a nice tight and punchy lower bass. However, it needs more volume before the bass kicks in whereas the Cornu is better at lower volumes. This may have to do with placement - I have it about 2 ft from a wall right now. When I place my hand at the vent, you definitely feel the pressure wave on the kick drums. Amazing bass for a 3.5 in driver actually. It will be interesting to see how it measures and compare to the sims.

I really like the sound which can now do rock much better. I think it is a great speaker in a 30 in cabinet paired with the TC9FD. I highly recommend this build. 3.5 sheets of foam per speaker is required.
Attached is a quick sound clip for you to get the idea of the sound. I had a lot of fun building this and the best part is the speaker looks great.

Very nice indeed! I'll have to add this one to the cue. First I need to tidy up my previous projects and make my final 20" cornu for myself. I'm getting backlogged already!
Old 6th January 2013, 06:23 PM   #1036
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
polyurethane resin
Polyester?

Man that FH3 looks great!
Old 6th January 2013, 06:25 PM   #1037
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by surface tension View Post
I'm getting backlogged already!
lol. I haven't even mounted the drivers in the 20" yet and I'm already thinking about the next one.
Old 6th January 2013, 06:27 PM   #1038
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
the Frugel Foam cabinet
xrk, I like what you are doing, but please don't call it a Frugel-horn, it is not. FH3 inspired yes.

dave
Old 6th January 2013, 06:29 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Polyester?

Man that FH3 looks great!

Thanks Cal!
Whatever surfboard fiberglass resin is, I thought it was polyurethane? You better get cracking with mounting those drivers!
Old 6th January 2013, 06:33 PM   #1040
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
xrk, I like what you are doing, but please don't call it a Frugel-horn, it is not. FH3 inspired yes.

dave
My original post did say it was an homage to the FH3. I have been referring to it as the Frugel Foam but can call it something else then.
My apologies.
Xrk971

Hide this!Advertise here!