Which TB fullrange 6" to 8" CC in small BR enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My friend has a pair of 2 way Paradigm (8"+tweet), a 12" JBL sub. Space is limited to 1.5 cu. ft. for the Tang Band.

I don't have a polar response of the tang band w8-1808 but it should be conical I suppose. This fullrange seem to be well appreciated for it's midrange. The CC doesn't need to go low (100Hz). What would be the best for it? Ported or sealed? He doesn't want OB because of space constraint.

I talk about the 1808 but any TB between 6" to 8" that would fit in a small enclosure would be ok.

I would like the simplicity of a fullrange and a good horizontal dispersion. Probably a carpet on the floor for 1rst reflexion because it should be under the 52" plasma.

What do you think?

Thanks

I would like the simplicity of a fullrange and a good horizontal dispersion.
:confused:
fullrange speakers, especially larger ones (4"+), beam/aim the high mids and highs = not much dispersion in any direction! so there is only a small spot where you receive the full frequency range. an added bass/sub does not aliviate that problem imo.

if you are looking for a larger listening area two (or three) ways is called for.

Here, Bob Brines uses the lower Q model. It will have the same dispersion.
http://brinesacoustics.com/Pages/B18-T772/Main.html

as seen in the first graph (frequncy response) an bobs page, starting at 2k the dispersion narrows considerably...

edit:
Sayrum is correct though only if many people are sitting around the TV.
If it's for 1 or 2 people sitting next to each other a full range is perfectly fine.
i have listen to and enjoyed the w8-1772, but the only spot with decent highs was right smack in the middle between the two speakers = only enough room for one person imo.

Last edited:
If what I see is the 6" would be preferable dispersion wise. The distance at the listening area is about 7 feet. The paradigm are (I guess) around 87db efficient . I should take a look to the size of their woofers too. TB 6" are around 91db(W6-1916)

A two or tree wayy (would prefer tree way dispersion wise if it is in a d'apollito config) but xover and cabinet height are of concern.

So in a sealed box for the W6-1916, the dispersion could be ok for the listening distance?

I'm shure that for what I've listened from hi CC d'Apolito (WTW) the dispersion is so bad, the sweet spot is much narrower compared to a single full-range or coax...

Maybe it's just mee:confused:

Planet 10

This is expensive, but you only add MDF, no xover, no BS for center channel. I say good midrange and treble and "satisfactory dispersion". If it comes at total CAN$250 for a complete (cabinet included for excellent mids and highs with a good SPL efficiency)CC, this is not bad, and simple! Why not ?;)

...in a sealed 1,5cu.f. I mean.

But thanks planet10 and all other for your comments. If I could find an easy solution for CC with less money and predictible results , I'm open to any ideas (considering size constraint)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.