3"or 4" driver with very good dispersion and high xmax? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 28th September 2012, 06:32 PM   #41
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Seems a pretty complete description of how they were measured to me. What more do you want to know? Mark may have given a bit more detail in his Alpair 7.3 thread.

dave

Old 28th September 2012, 06:39 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Seems a pretty complete description of how they were measured to me. What more do you want to know? Mark may have given a bit more detail in his Alpair 7.3 thread.

dave
Maybe I missed it but what is the mic distance, test signal, frequency resolution, smoothing, windowing, driver mounting?
And again, I believe it's important to look at all angles and not just 0-30. The walls in our rooms care about other angles too

Last edited by markus76; 28th September 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Old 28th September 2012, 06:50 PM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No smoothing AFAIK, likely 1m mic distance since that would be far-field for a 4" driver (ref Toole: measurements need to be taken in the farfield and scaled to 1m distance), driver mounted in an IEC box, with thin aluminum baffle. Taken with LEAP i believe.

Measures ideally go out to at least 90 degrees, but still this is better than just on-axis.

Go over to the Mark Audio forum and ask him for details.

dave

Old 28th September 2012, 07:00 PM   #44
Banned

Well, I thought people here actually have measured drivers themselves that's why I've started the thread.

Old 28th September 2012, 08:04 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Here is the off axis of the EL70.

Click the image to open in full size.

Take a look at the bunching happening at 5khz. People who know more about driver mechanics than I do could say, but I think this is indicative of the first signs of cone breakup. The phase is changing from the outside of the cone relative to the inside. It may also be related to moving the treble onto the dustcap. Either way, that spreadat 3khz followed by gathering at 5khz would technically be considered bad.

Despite this, you can see that it has uniform dipersion up to the top octave out to 45d. It resembles the alp7. This is a Mark Audio built driver, and some here (Dave?) may be able to tell you if it's similar to the alp7 cone. I believe the alp7 cone is superior because it's a later gen product, and my ears tell me it is

EDIT - note my measurements are on a 5db scale and Mark's are 10db, just so it isn't confused. They're actually fairly similar (trends).

Last edited by tuxedocivic; 28th September 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Old 29th September 2012, 05:00 PM   #46
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus76 View Post
Well, I thought people here actually have measured drivers themselves that's why I've started the thread.
Many do. The big advantage in DIY is we can measure in OUR box, our baffle etc. I only worry about 15 degrees. because I know how I am going to use my speakers.

Old 29th September 2012, 05:28 PM   #47
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Many do. The big advantage in DIY is we can measure in OUR box, our baffle etc. I only worry about 15 degrees. because I know how I am going to use my speakers.
In an unechoic chamber?

Old 29th September 2012, 07:18 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Are you interested in the sub 200hz or something? 200hz+ is pretty easy to get. I just measured an SDX7 woofer outside with reasonable accuracy down to 150hz. Then do a near field for 200hz down.

Old 13th July 2013, 11:29 AM   #49
Banned

Hi guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but can anybody provide off-axis data for the Tang Band W3-1797S?
Any other interesting new 3" drivers with wide dispersion and high SPL capabilities on the market?

Old 17th February 2014, 01:54 PM   #50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
This is a nice one:

dave
Here's the Alpair 7.3 in a 43x43cm box from 0 to 90:

(90cm mic distance, gated at 4,7ms)

Looks like a totally different driver.

Here's 0-90 - pretty ugly:

Attached Images
File Type: png alpair7.3-0-15-30deg.png (26.1 KB, 905 views)
File Type: png alpair7.3-0-90deg.png (64.3 KB, 505 views)

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!