New Jordan driver - preliminary details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It is reasonable to believe that most will not like the extra woodwork to make the driver look good/finished in a cabinet, me included. However, that extra woodwork would not deter me from buying an extraordinary driver, albeit this remains to be seen with this Jordan. It is also reasonable to believe, given the increased competition (Markaudio and Dayton, etc.) which was not present when the JX92s was first released, Ted Jordan would not create another obstacle for potential diyers, unless it yields much high higher performance.

Having said the above, and as much as I liked the original JX92s and think Ted Jordan is a talented designer and gentleman, I would opt for a similar performing driver without the hassle of doing extra woodwork.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The whole speaker is smaller in width/height and depth, which will make it easier to fit in triangular enclosures, narrow cabinets, etc.

The wider circular bezels of some of the drivers we commonly use have certainly precluded them being designed into some of our standard shaped designs, and have provided challenges to cabinet design.

dave

The new shape doesn't bother me other than requiring a bit of extra woodwork. I prefer my speakers behind grilles, especially the alloy cone variety; the shiny surface is too tempting to the "ooh what's that made of then?" brigade.

My complain on the new shape is just because to replace my damaged Jx92 drivers in my vtl cabinet i have to go again for the EAD drivers.

Northernsky

Call me old-fasioned, but I will need to hear this driver before complaining about it.

OK, Mr Bond, you're old-school

add me to that list - I'd be happy to hear Ted's latest work ( my only experience with products bearing that label were very underwhelming - due to one pair being damaged, a second pair from the group buy of several years ago, and a pair in what I think was a compromised enclosure design)

If this new offering meets the high expectations, the issue of dealing with the frame shape could be considered as a test of DIYer's skill; if not, then even the simplicity of a round shape and the brand name won't assure market success.

... 84 db sensitivity?
Progress or just... a fools errand?

That's given on the preliminary spec and it looks like the new driver is rated at 8Ω. It will be interesting to see what the final spec looks like but good drive unit design is like any other field of engineering - a balance.

And it depends what you want to use it with - if the power handling is better, there isn't an issue. 100w will give a respectable 104dB output at 1 metre on peaks. The Jordans have never been candidates for sticking on the end of mini-power valve amps. They're modern drive units.

I have the "old" Jx92, and in my opinion, they need plenty of watts to come alive... and they are 87 db or so... but I like them for their ability to make decent bass in a pretty small box.

I guess we all have different sonic preferences. I prefer high efficiency drivers ;)

But, of course, let's wait and see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.