New Jordan driver - preliminary details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Interested to see if other companies follow suit and go for phase plugs, I think this is the way forward imo

It's the way forward if the cone (physical profile, microresonant structure) and motor design require it. It isn't if they don't. ;) No panaceas or automatic 'improvements' in audio, alas. What applies in one case doesn't in others. For e.g., the Fostex MG-850, Thiele CS-2.4 & some others have the dustcap physically attached to the end of the VC. It's part of the design. Bit tricky to use a phase plug in such cases.

I have no recollection of the Lowther basket shape. I heard them some time in the '80s in a number of different cabs and all I can say is that their sound put me off whizzer cones for life.

Tannoy has been using that shape since 1979 and it is a pain in the neck to route rebates for them.

The Lowther PM45C Drive Unit

Pincushion style frames are probably more widely employed than circular for wideband drivers. Fostex, TB et al all extensively use them.

It's the way forward if the cone (physical profile, microresonant structure) and motor design require it. It isn't if they don't. ;) No panaceas or automatic 'improvements' in audio, alas. What applies in one case doesn't in others. For e.g., the Fostex MG-850, Thiele CS-2.4 & some others have the dustcap physically attached to the end of the VC. It's part of the design. Bit tricky to use a phase plug in such cases.

you forgot dual concentric drivers :)

I'm just interested to see if some companies making metal cone drivers follow suit.. if the cone / motor are suitable of course

Last edited:
I love the look of the new driver and imagine it cd be popular for in car use. Interested to see if other companies follow suit and go for phase plugs, I think this is the way forward imo

That polepiece extension isn't a "phase plug," except in the eyes of optimistic marketers.

Its effect on the on- and off- axis FR is going to be de minimis. It will slightly lower efficiency, though.

(The phase plugs used on the tweeters of concentric drivers - Tannoy Tulip, KEF Tangerine, etc. - are very different. They actually do what's claimed, and note that they cover substantially all of the tweeter's surface.

It does, however, trade materials/tooling costs for assembly costs: with the polepiece extension, Jordan doesn't have to spring for somebody to glue on dustcaps.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Let's hope Jordan updates the chassis to a nice simple 150mm round design...

Not likely. Unless someone upfronts the 5-10 K$ for new tooling. Small manufacturers usually have to use an existing basket.

I'm fine with the shape. I always found this shape more aesthetically pleasing, and i started rebating drivers with B139/B200/B110.

dave

The JX92 used a standard Vifa chassis. It sounds like it has been a long enough haul to get the driver made in the UK at all. It is shocking how much expertise has vanished.

And the new Jordan perhaps a standard Lowther chassis then? One mans gravy, I happen to think the new design is hideous in comparison, and really you look at your speakers as much as you listen to them!

Still at least EAD is still chucking out the old JX92 design.

Tannoys are a similar shape, or were the last time I looked at them (some years ago). The whole speaker is smaller in width/height and depth, which will make it easier to fit in triangular enclosures, narrow cabinets, etc.

The new shape doesn't bother me other than requiring a bit of extra woodwork. I prefer my speakers behind grilles, especially the alloy cone variety; the shiny surface is too tempting to the "ooh what's that made of then?" brigade.

Tannoys are a similar shape, or were the last time I looked at them (some years ago). The whole speaker is smaller in width/height and depth, which will make it easier to fit in triangular enclosures, narrow cabinets, etc.

The new shape doesn't bother me other than requiring a bit of extra woodwork. I prefer my speakers behind grilles, especially the alloy cone variety; the shiny surface is too tempting to the "ooh what's that made of then?" brigade.

+1 on grilles for metal cones

Re the frame style; to whatever degree Ted has choice in the matter - it could well be an accountant with a spreadsheet telling him "y'all can save X dollars / lbs/ yen per pair by using existing parts" - as long as his name in on them, let's stop second guessing the reasons, engineering or otherwise for any aspect of the design , and just listen to the damned things

anyone heard them yet?

yes, dealing with rebating of any none circular shape can be "fun" the first time, but isn't that what DIY is all about?

spend an hour making a perfect pattern, then you can replicate to your heart's content with a router (or work in a commercial shop with a $150,000 CNC and blast them out at the rate of dozens an hour)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.