Full Range driver/enclosure - Goldwood 1858 H-Frames

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave,

I am definitely interested in the two speakers you mention, the FF85WK and MA7.3, but am not too sure i get what your description really describes.

The 7.3 has scales dynamics better means its able to convey the differentiation in dynamic range better and more smoothly than the Fostex?

And the 85, goes higher... do you mean louder or extends to a higher frequency? and what was that bit about jarring?

I listen to a bit of everything from punk and metal to jazz and classic rock to hip hop. I'm running Magnepans now and not enjoying them as much as I know I should, but I just feel like I am a cone guy.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 7.3 has scales dynamics better means its able to convey the differentiation in dynamic range better and more smoothly than the Fostex?

The larger cone lets it move more air, so ultimately can play louder, with similar DDR it just gives that much more on the loud end of a dynamic swing. The larger cone also allows for a lower XO point.

And the 85, goes higher... do you mean louder or extends to a higher frequency?

It extends to a higher frequency. Response to 25kHz, and with the smaller cone and trick dustcap has better HF dispersion (that being a subjective observation not objective).

and what was that bit about jarring?

A FAST with FF85 is jarring (particularily for new listeners) in that such a small speaker can produce such a BIG sonic picture.

I listen to a bit of everything from punk and metal to jazz and classic rock to hip hop. I'm running Magnepans now and not enjoying them as much as I know I should, but I just feel like I am a cone guy.

You need to factor in room size -- my room is on the largish end, and if things fill my room they'll also fill a smaller room.

A lot of how well these FRs do in a FAST on material with challenging mid & upper-bass depends on your choice of drivers to do the bass range. Push the XO up and they will do more of the heavy lifting, the cost being that less of the critical voice fundementals are coming from the mid-tweeter. The ability to play with XO point allows you to fine tune to your room and tastes.

We XOed Tysen at 333 Hz, MTM at about 350 Hz, and set the uFonkenSET + woofT XO at 160 Hz to start -- and will try 240 Hz next to see if we can fatten up the upper bass a bit.

dave

What does FAST stand for? Full range over a sub? Trying to google it is difficult as is your WoofT because it give stupid results.

My room is 15x12x9ft. I sit about 10 ft from them and they are out from the front wall a few ft.... You say the dispersion on the 7.3 is better, this means wider sweet spot? So would you say the fostex has a narrow sweet spot?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What does FAST stand for?

Full Range and Subwoofer Technology officially, but i have heard better expansions (like Fullrange ASsiTed)

as is your WoofT

With only 3 prototypes built and WoofT being a product series moniker, Google won't likely catch anything but what can be found on this forum already. A woofT is a helper woofer for any of the Trapezoidal miniOnken/Fonken with the goal of having the same footprint and to act as a stand.

My room is 15x12x9ft

A medium small room. that 9' ceiling is a help.

You say the dispersion on the 7.3 is better, this means wider sweet spot?

No.

The smaller Fostex has better dispersion. Althou no one has been able to prove it with measures, the EnABLed drivers so common around here have, subjectively, a wider sweetspot.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I see the Behringer 2496 is popular and feature laden

But really bad sounding until you replace all the analog bits.

With careful driver selection is is very feasible to use a PLLXO in a FAST. Besides introducing no electronic haze, as even the best XOs you plug into the wall, they are dirt cheap -- as little as 2 resistors and 4 small caps.

dave

Passive would be my choice ideally... Is that what a PLLXO is? Do I still need 2 amps?

I am heavily considering the Fostex 85 and Goldwood 1858, very similar to Bob's FAST at the start of this thread, but I see that there is an efficiency mismatch between drivers... Am I best finding a different driver?

Last edited:
I see the design of one of these crossovers is specific to the amps and preamps being used. While I am fine with this, I have to ask, what would be a bad setup to use one of these crossovers? I think my amp is 25kOhm input impedance and my battery preamp the Bottlehead Quickie, no clue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.