taming harshness of fostex FF125WK - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2012, 01:06 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

I liked the poly/mica mw144 by morel (5") crossed I've no clue.

And I don't have much experience otherwise, but I was looking at the scanspeak paper/kevlar thing 18w/8545-000.

It's a 7" used in in the Odyssey Loreili speaker.
Odyssey Audio: Lorelei floorstanding speaker. Call us (317) 299 5578. IN, USA.
Madisound Speaker Store
Odyssey Khartago Candela Lorilei review
6moons audio reviews: Odyssey Audio Lorelei

But that's for a 2 way.

I believe wild burro betsy went away from kevlar/paper back to all paper drivers. He said they sound better.

Norman
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:02 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Look at the SCALE of the graph. It is not slight!

Well I could have miss used words. To me it's not as bad as a lot of other fullrange drivers I have seen.jm
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:13 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
Well, after listening extensively to the FF125WK's over the weekend, I can safely say that these don't need any tweeter help (at least to my ear), and the peak at 7khz (6,7khz actually) becomes much less objectionable once you apply the zig 2-way glue to the back of the surround and listen a bit off-axis (5-10 degrees)

Regards

Nick

I have a question whats this zig- 2 way glue I have never heard of it? Why would you put it on the back of the surround? Didn't fostex already use glue on this surround? Have you done a stock and a driver with glue on it side by side testing? Just seems odd that you would have to mess with the drivers to get them to sound right after they have been built by fostex and sent out? Please explain? I hope I am not sounding rude just wondering? Thanks Mr. jeff

P.s. I googled the gule zig-2 way and found it a k-mart. jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 03:27 PM   #54
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

jm,

On that note, can you post a pic of the floor standing boxes?

I have several 125wks pics...but nothing new to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
Well now for my 2 . I just put the Fostex FF 125wk in a floor standing speaker boxes I made back in march if this year. It is a rear ported trapezoid box.
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:07 PM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
jm,

On that note, can you post a pic of the floor standing boxes?

I have several 125wks pics...but nothing new to post.

Yes I would love to but, How would I go about posting the pictures? I will try to figure it out? Jm
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:20 PM   #56
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

very easy....go to "Go Advanced" click paper clip....upload from your pic folder (or where ever)
Old 3rd September 2012, 05:50 PM   #57
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODougbo View Post
very easy....go to "Go Advanced" click paper clip....upload from your pic folder (or where ever)

Got ya I will try that thanks.Jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:12 PM   #58
hajj is offline hajj  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural sound View Post
I have a question whats this zig- 2 way glue I have never heard of it? Why would you put it on the back of the surround? Didn't fostex already use glue on this surround? Have you done a stock and a driver with glue on it side by side testing? Just seems odd that you would have to mess with the drivers to get them to sound right after they have been built by fostex and sent out? Please explain? I hope I am not sounding rude just wondering? Thanks Mr. jeff

P.s. I googled the gule zig-2 way and found it a k-mart. jm
Not rude, worry not

The zig is applied to the back of the cone, on the portion where the surround in glued to the cone. The glue stays sticky and is used to damp what BudP (Bud Purvine, he's the one behind the concept) thinks are raleigh waves affecting the cone's resonance.

In the first 2 pages of this thread I have posted waterfall plot measurements (time decay measurements) of the same driver before and after applying the glue...

The plots quite strikingly show the differences, but I'm still waiting for someone to duplicate the results just to make sure my measurements are not faulty.

Regards

Nick
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:17 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

IMG029.jpg

IMG030.jpg

IMG031.jpg

IMG004.jpg

IMG002.jpg

IMG019.jpg

IMG013.jpg

IMG025.jpg1.Well here are my trapezoid boxes I made back in march of this year. Here are the ff125wk drivers in them and they sound very good indeed. I have changed the color of the boxes and the wires inside and out and 2 types of stuffing and 2 types of damping on the side walls and behind the drivers. I upgraded the binding post to better binding post. I have left the ff125wk drivers as stock. You can see the front,side and back with a port close to the bottom of the boxes. This is my own design inside of the box. The outside I thank the late terry cain and anyone else who has had a tilled box all around a trapazoid box. I am working on a way to make the air flow more smoother and better out of my boxes. I already have a proto type in this box. The next one will be even better at the air flowing thru the boxes.I think its all together thinking not just inside the box but, outside as well and around the drivers as well. I am pretty close on having a box that works well with the stock fe126en drivers with out modding the cones. Sorry dave at planet 10 I know your stuff is good and bud has a great product but, its like ice cream. You like mint and I like superman. I am seeing if I can build a box around the fe126en drivers to cure the peakness? Never know this could work? Now Theres a sucker born very minute but, I am not a sucker and I enjoy a good challenge. More to come. Also it was a killer to cut all the angles by hand with a cirular hand saw. I had to hold the wood down yes I used clams so it would not move. I had a kinda broken table I was using by my self. I did have someone helping me but,it To long of a story to type here. Well again I can't wait to build my next pair saving up now.

2. The next set of pictures are the fe126en drivers I mod. the cone and the basket. I have them in a corner loaded horn box sounded muffled. Then with all 2 of them. I have the corner loaded horn box with a t.l. tang band box sounded to dull next to the fostex. Then the book shelf is a fe126en driver in a front ported bass reflex sound okey to small for this driver.

3. The same box as #1. but, a different finish and clear coating and and the wires and stuffing and damping in the boxes. I built this box around the fe126en drivers but, the boxes are to tall and need to be deeper. I will be reworking this type of box in my next project. I took them to a local hi-fi shop and theytold me I could market my product. Well its been alot of hours testing and more to come. Jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 3rd September 2012, 06:28 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj View Post
Not rude, worry not

The zig is applied to the back of the cone, on the portion where the surround in glued to the cone. The glue stays sticky and is used to damp what BudP (Bud Purvine, he's the one behind the concept) thinks are raleigh waves affecting the cone's resonance.

In the first 2 pages of this thread I have posted waterfall plot measurements (time decay measurements) of the same driver before and after applying the glue...

The plots quite strikingly show the differences, but I'm still waiting for someone to duplicate the results just to make sure my measurements are not faulty.

Regards

Nick

Okey sounds good. If the glue stays sticky will that attract dust? I Just thinking more dust more problems?Just a thought? jm

Last edited by cross reference; 3rd September 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!