Suitable Driver advice for use in a small volume box ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to build a pair of full range speakers but the box has to be quite compact it cannot exceed about 7 to 8L volume: smaller is a plus.
The driver must be capable of working well using little power as they will be run using a TA2020 D Class amp, so maybe 12W
They will be used in a 9 X 8 boat cabin.
Ready plans would be a plus for the box design but not necessary.
Most of what I listen to is Relaxed Jazz and Female Vocalist and a bit of Piano.
Most of my music is in FLAC files.
My maximum budget for drivers is about 200-250 at a stretch.
I have loads of plywood and mdf around the house.

Last edited:
I can't imagine getting anything small to go really low.
I would like hear some bass but it doesn't have to be really low.
I think ported would probably be better.
Off axis would make the speakers more useful in the boat situation.
I love detail and mid range.

Well, personally, I wouldn't port a speaker any higher than 30-40 Hz. Or else you will here the port ringing through the midbase.
I would get the alpair 10 and do an aperiodic enclosure. You could make it 6lt box and still have a butterworth alignment. With a -3 at 70 Hz. With cabin gain, I'm guessing -3 at 40 Hz.
If you want better off axis response, you will need a smaller driver, but then you give up sensitivity and or extension.

Last edited:
Jason, thank you for your help, I am a little green in the area of speaker building, I have only ever built one pair of speakers and they are Audio Nirvana 15" cast drivers in the 5.6 ported box.
Dose the butterworth alignment mean additional electronics?

No, not in this case.
We are talking about the box alignment.
Basically, its a flat response with a 2nd order slope. (12db per octave)
Q of. 707
I personally prefer a critically damped alignment, but that requires a large box.
You will get a little bump in midbase with butterworth, but not to much with a corner frequency this high.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Zia, Thank you for that, I am drawn to the larger Alpair 10 driver as I am assuming it will move more air and therefore be capable of producing more bass.
I might be wrong in this assumption, not sure!

As a generalization maybe, but given the small box size requirement you are going to throttle the A10s in the bass.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Aperiodic vent just lowers the Q.

What i was getting at is that it is a complex system and that saying that given 1 dimension, driver size in this case, will result in more bass is not the case.

dave

Attachments

• alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    alpair10g2-sealed.gif
    19 KB · Views: 68
  • A10g2-6L-sealed.gif
    A10g2-6L-sealed.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 67
Yes, larger drivers are not always the best way to get more base, but I believe in the case of going full range, they will prevent the Doppler effect for high frequencies (garbling) while still being capable of producing base. Where as a smaller driver has to work harder and use more excursion causing more ID.
Also the larger diver is more sensitive for his t-amp. He can get a butterworth 2nd order alignment with 7 lt. If he goes aperiodic, And have a -3 at 40 hz in his small cabin.

While I am not on top of Thiele Small Parameters and don't pretend to understand them I realize that a larger diaphragm will have the capacity to move more air and will have the potential to produce more bass with less driver excursion.
Conversely a smaller driver with a much greater driver excursion COULD potentially provide more more base if the excursion is great enough.
That's my simplified grasp and I think it's somewhere around correct without to much in the way of mathematics and equations which have the capacity to confuse me terribly.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
He can get a butterworth 2nd order alignment with 7 lt. If he goes aperiodic, And have a -3 at 40 hz in his small cabin.

My sim says 9.2 litre. F3 to 40 hz is making some assumptions about room gain.

But no matter, F3 is mostly meaningless except for the filter theory (Toole), but with an F10 of ~70, and the assumption that aperiodic will bring the Q down to butterworth (enuff damping would as well), 40ish flat is a reasonable guess.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.