Dallas II vs Kirishima - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Default Dallas II vs Kirishima

Dallas II vs Kirishima

does anyone have the predicted plots for both these cabinets handy?

if not what would the difference between them be, apart from ease of construction?

experiences with either of these with the 206 would be appreciated.

thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
castorG is offline castorG  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Italy
Gafhenderson, if you don't mind, I would use your 3d to add a question to yours..

Is it possible to take off the 'head' of the dallas II, makind it a kind of dallas III?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by castorG View Post
Gafhenderson, if you don't mind, I would use your 3d to add a question to yours..

Is it possible to take off the 'head' of the dallas II, makind it a kind of dallas III?
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
thats exactly what i was thinking of doing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:02 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Very pretty - in fact it already has been done with the Austin:


Click the image to open in full size.


Other than the obvious significant complication of fabricating curved shapes (regardless of materials/method used), don't automatically assume that "fairing" the length of internal pathway will improve sonic performance over hard/sharper folds.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Very pretty - in fact it already has been done with the Austin:


Click the image to open in full size.


Other than the obvious significant complication of fabricating curved shapes (regardless of materials/method used), don't automatically assume that "fairing" the length of internal pathway will improve sonic performance over hard/sharper folds.
i've found a local man with one of those electronic shape cutter contraptions who will give me very good rates, so whichever design + driver i finally commit to, it actually will work out easier for me to have it fabricated in single stacked sheets. the curved shape may also allow it to pass unnoticed under the WAF radar.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
i've found a local man with one of those electronic shape cutter contraptions who will give me very good rates, so whichever design + driver i finally commit to, it actually will work out easier for me to have it fabricated in single stacked sheets. the curved shape may also allow it to pass unnoticed under the WAF radar.

if you're talking about fabricating a front mouthed horn with a pretty enough finish to pass unnoticed under the WAF-dar using the stacked lamination ( "layertone" ) method, you might want consider not only the substantial time involved in prepping for a decent paint or veneer finish, but also the outrageously poor material yield on a shape such as this one, that has very few parts that can be nested

the electronic shape cutter contraption ( I assume you mean CNC) could be much better utilized in fabricating jigs around which Kerf-core, rubber ply, etc could be wrapped

if it sounds like I'm not a fan of this technique, which often employs MDF - yep, and no apologies for that
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
castorG is offline castorG  Italy
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Italy
Chrisb, what do you think abouy simply taking off the head of the dallas II? I guess it want be detrimental from a sound point of view, since the dallas III does the same thing.

Ervin
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if you're talking about fabricating a front mouthed horn with a pretty enough finish to pass unnoticed under the WAF-dar using the stacked lamination ( "layertone" ) method, you might want consider not only the substantial time involved in prepping for a decent paint or veneer finish, but also the outrageously poor material yield on a shape such as this one, that has very few parts that can be nested

the electronic shape cutter contraption ( I assume you mean CNC) could be much better utilized in fabricating jigs around which Kerf-core, rubber ply, etc could be wrapped

if it sounds like I'm not a fan of this technique, which often employs MDF - yep, and no apologies for that
all i know is that it's a laser, and it needs to be special treated wood that is suitable for use with lasers.

i'd not pay the extra expense for practise boxes that i'm messing around with now but for the finally design i'd be happy to pay for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:43 PM   #9
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Just a thought...........
Think of a ring of wood, multiples stacked to make a cylinder, to cut this using cnc / laser is wasteful........
Divide each ring into segments, glue the segments so the joints at say 45deg to each other, from curves to strait sections can be formed as 'J' sections, the majority of the straits can then be cut on a table saw. Yes its slightly more complex to make / glue up a horn enclosure in this manner.
Thinking about it a little more, one could have just the curved sections cnc/laser'd and flat material joined in to make the strait sections........BIG saving in cost there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:53 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by castorG View Post
Chrisb, what do you think abouy simply taking off the head of the dallas II? I guess it want be detrimental from a sound point of view, since the dallas III does the same thing.

Ervin

I can't see any problem with that
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fostex Dallas II maartentje Full Range 5 25th April 2010 01:18 PM
Dallas II plans Novacaine1968 Full Range 6 13th February 2010 12:42 PM
Dallas II + 208E = ? Mr.Mekulic Full Range 13 15th December 2008 05:20 PM
Where is the Dallas II amisdad Full Range 16 5th November 2005 04:57 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:00 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2