Spawn Olson/Nagaoka Horns the Next Generation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st February 2012, 05:10 AM   #1
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Spawn Olson/Nagaoka Horns the Next Generation

No not yet, but really close...

Thr 3 optimized horns for the Fostex FE126En, FE166En, and FE206En have been approved as drawn. I have a bit more tidying to do before official release.

They could have been called Saburo v2, Hiro v2, and Sachiko v2, but that is a bit boring. They will be known as Kongō, Haruna, and Kirishima.

Here is a preview of Kongō. As can be seen differences from what preceeded are only in the details.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif kongo3D.gif (193.8 KB, 7458 views)
Old 1st February 2012, 05:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Welcome new guys!
Old 1st February 2012, 01:38 PM   #3
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

Not to be greedy but are there any plans for a half-Kirishima?
Old 1st February 2012, 02:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm afraid not. You can't just saw one of these boxes in half; it would require a new design. Since there are already several designs for the 206 with a single terminus, I've no plans to do one at the moment.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Never mind smaller, how about bigger? Am I right in thinking that horns, broadly speaking sound better the bigger they get? Hence the Kleinhorns and such. How about a design that used the length of sheet material as a limiting factor, so 8ft/2440mm.
Old 2nd February 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Awesome!! Are there any plans for double mouth front exit horns for the bigger MA drivers? I thought I remember there being one for the A12 before but I could be mistaken.

Scott
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:40 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
Never mind smaller, how about bigger? Am I right in thinking that horns, broadly speaking sound better the bigger they get? Hence the Kleinhorns and such. How about a design that used the length of sheet material as a limiting factor, so 8ft/2440mm.
Broadly speaking, yes - up to a point, but don't ever forget the room as the biggest variable in the equation. Just cause you could shoehorn something as large as a pair of Kleinhorns in a space doesn't mean everyone would appreciate how they'd sound.

I heard this system at VSAC2008 Click the image to open in full size. .

in a very long executive suite, playing vintage Jimi at "realistic" ( very loud ) levels, on an evening when there happened to be a thunder and lightning storm going on - obviously very memorable. These were one of the hits of the show, but simply too over the top for me - maybe this perspective gives a clue as to the potential WAF

If you count, you'll see 4 front loaded horns, and a big-a$$ sub woofer

Click the image to open in full size.

clearly these boys, or Nelson, laughed at the constraints of 4x8' materials or real world domestic considerations

Last edited by chrisb; 2nd February 2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 04:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter99 View Post
Awesome!! Are there any plans for double mouth front exit horns for the bigger MA drivers? I thought I remember there being one for the A12 before but I could be mistaken.

Scott

yes, there were, but the revision to drivers required redesign of enclosures, and Scott got busy with other things
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
Sort of. Depends what is meant by 'better.' When it comes to horns, more is more: for a given tuning frequency, the larger the cabinet, the less compromised the horn expansion is likely to be, assuming it's well designed and efficiently uses the internal space available. However they're also general DIY designs, so they need to have at least a chance of domestic acceptability for a reasonable number of people, and they're already at the top-end of that in size-terms.

Quote:
Thanks. We did some initial designs, and a couple were prototyped, but a lot more work would need to be done, partly to refine the boxes, and partly because all the drivers have changed. Maybe in the second half of this year. Possibly.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 2nd February 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
and Scott got busy with other things

Crazy as it sounds, I think it's called life outside of audio?

Hide this!Advertise here!