Cloning IDS-25s - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2012, 07:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I wonder how did it go with the IDS25 clone?

Sorry if taking over this thread, but I have question regarding similar idea of speaker but still different one. I am considering in-wall speaker using array with same element TG9FD10-04. The elements woudl be mounted flush on wall and box volume would be very large (not sealed).
The number of elemenst would be less than the IDS25, perhaps 12-14 units and I would use subwoofer crossed at around 80Hz.

What do you think about taht - would I be on the wrong track?

jokomoko
Stockholm
Old 20th September 2012, 08:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Edit:
I sent above post without checking typos - Sorry for the poor English !
Old 20th September 2012, 09:12 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Also, for clarity, what I meant with "box volume very large" is that the enclosure behind wall is large and insulated (practically whole wall) so from the element's point of view the "box" has infinite volume as well as infinite baffle. I also incorrectly wrote "not sealed" but it shall be sealed in the sense that no noice generated inside box (i.e the wall) can leak back to the listening room.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:38 PM   #14
haraldo is offline haraldo  Norway
diyAudio Member

I would be very interested to hear about results of the IDS-25 clone.

I auditioned some Adyton speakers that's built on very much the same prescription as the IDS-25, actually they look like an IDS_25 clone but without the bass-bost and with an added ribbon tweeter
Click the image to open in full size.

Imagic 2.0 Loudspeakers

Speakers are sensational, listening to Pink Floyd, The Wall I could swear this had to be another mastering, it's out of this world dynamics, sensational clarity, no distortion at any sound level, incredible

There are some other drivers now that seem to provide even better ,linearity and less need for eq in the treble, and priced so low.....
Speaker Building Supplies from Madisound

Is there any reason why these drivers can't be set into one (or two) transmission line(s)?
Old 5th October 2012, 02:33 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

25 x tc9

post 37 and 43
"Honestly, it's not that big of deal. As speaker dave mentioned a while back, if you're playing pink noise, and standing within a meter or so of the loudspeakers, you can definitely hear the lobing effect by moving your head up and down. It's also very easy to measure with a measurement mic. Once you're out around the 2 meter mark, it's barely noticeable, and any farther than that, you simply can't hear it anymore. Same applies with music, except you need to be about half the above distances to get the same effect. In other words, if you're playing music, and you're more than a meter from the array, it's not an issue."

Stupid Cheap Line Array
Old 16th October 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm wondering where this went also?
No one seemed to know there was an article by Roger about his prototype version years ago, then a follow-up a year later in one of the AudioXpress or Speaker Builder mags. I have copies of those articles.
Old 16th October 2012, 03:44 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

AudioXpress. I have them as well. As good as you would expect, given who the author is. I imagine most people here are aware of them, even if they don't have copies.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:01 PM   #18
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

I think much can also be gained from his web page (not the IDS-25 web page). Speaker Dave has reitterated the important points, following up on Roger's professional work. I beleive there is merit to this configuration. I cannot deal with 12+db of boost at either end however "making up" for the design difficencies. That goes to show where the system limits are and where you can't expect FR from these configurations even with the the most appropriate drivers available. I think it is possible to have 1 helper driver at 1 end of the spectrum and the line cover the rest sufficiently. Personally, I want to develope a dipole line.
I'm a dog. What do I know?
Old 17th October 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

In that design, I think we are trading phase shift for smear.

Comments on the ids-25 were favorable, even from people who didn't want to like them, except from those with the 2 and 3-way line arrays using a row of ribbons. But they get phase shift, and that isn't annoying to most people.

To each their own.

I like the idea of the honker tweeter in the middle of the array.
But can it take 6db crossover while keeping up with a row of midranges ? Probably not.
Old 24th October 2012, 02:47 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Wink I am calling you out, Planet 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
IMHO you can get small FRs as good for less money.

dave
Okay Dave, I think it would benefit this thread to see your list

What are your thoughts on the smaller Mark Audio drivers also, say, if one was to take the chance and carefully cut the bessels for closer driver spacing.

There is also the Fountek FR88 and FR85 - much harder to cut steel bessels thou .

Your wisdom is always welcome!

Allen

Hide this!Advertise here!