Designing a cabinet for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Turning that mdf teardrop shape started to get a little hairy as my gestimated maths was way off.

Ill try and get another mock up made soon.

Just for fun, a new design, ala KEF Blade.

Alpair 7.3 (in a tapering snail shaped mdf box, and x4 8" mid/woofers mounted to cancel out vibrations. With curved solid wood baffle

Thoughts?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Turning that mdf teardrop shape started to get a little hairy as my gestimated maths was way off.

Ill try and get another mock up made soon.

Just for fun, a new design, ala KEF Blade.

Alpair 7.3 (in a tapering snail shaped mdf box, and x4 8" mid/woofers mounted to cancel out vibrations. With curved solid wood baffle

Thoughts?

Check out the Boenicke audio SLS speakers ;)

front enclosure for A7 looks a bit shallower than I'd like to try

and yes, there are likely more than a couple of DIYers "inspired" by the Blades, although to do full homage would require a fair degree of skill with glass or carbon fiber fabrication, among other things

have any forum members heard, not "read about" them?

I heard them last year. At a kef demo and last week again.

They were very impressive. Although not in my opinion worth anywhere near the money.

The goal of both in emulating them was to use create a speaker with apparent single point source. Something the blade does very well. The use of twin drivers to cancel out vibration seems logical too.

I is too short. When posting I noticed you can see the magnet. (Was made in 5 mins)

My thinking was to turn a come shape that would sit over the magnet like and omni deflector to bounce the sound into the larger cavity. Perhaps tapering the ends ala nautilus.

I heard them last year. At a kef demo and last week again.

They were very impressive. Although not in my opinion worth anywhere near the money.

probably a more important question is whether they're known to be a serious production model (perhaps just custom / bespoke builds), or a technology statement piece with only a (few) traveling demo pair(s)

The goal of both in emulating them was to use create a speaker with apparent single point source. Something the blade does very well. The use of twin drivers to cancel out vibration seems logical too.
something quite well documented by many DIY projects herein

I is too short. When posting I noticed you can see the magnet. (Was made in 5 mins)

My thinking was to turn a come shape that would sit over the magnet like and omni deflector to bounce the sound into the larger cavity. Perhaps tapering the ends ala nautilus.

I've probably mentioned this in other threads, but after a couple of builds a few (5 or so) years back, I'd be concerned about very shallow enclosures in general, and most particularly with very lightweight cones, whether metal or paper.

Your quickie sketch appears to indicate a separate enclosure for the A7 that is tall and very shallow - I'd think a deep, perhaps tapered aperiodic enclosure might work better . Well, indeed I know conceptual drawings for something like that exist.

One quick side related question...

Im building 4 pairs of Alpair 10.2's small BR cabinets for a bar.

Im trying to decide on how to power them (cost effectively) Doesn't have to be excessively loud. The easiest solution i can think of it using a 7.1 receiver, running on all channel stereo.

Then I thought that perhaps I can wire them together, run as a sort of line array with one good power amp?

Is this possible, would need 20ft of cable in between each speaker, could do 4 for the left channel and 4 for the right to shorten the overal length. Shall i put this idea away and focus on the multichannel approach?

Im keen to try and make these.

Invert the colours, Walnut case, and a ceramic baffle.

The horn shape can be made from the surplus from the teardrops.

Dovetailed solid walnut cabinet Ceramic baffle, Accuton ceramic drivers, good quality compression driver with tractrix profile. Could be very very good.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.