Designing a cabinet for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
*My CNC guy is on board, hopefully get some prototypes of the ceramic baffle made this month. Any other ceramic drivers that arn't as expensive as Accuton?

*Update; My box of 8 Alpair 10.3's just made it through customs and are waiting for their new cabinets.

I plan on building simple BR cabinets, as these are for a cocktail bar with low curved ceilings and the boxes need to be as petite as possible.

I have one question for you all, how best to drive 8 speakers?

Either I have some splitters and 4 power amps, or maybe use a good quality home cinema receiver?

*My CNC guy is on board, hopefully get some prototypes of the ceramic baffle made this month. Any other ceramic drivers that arn't as expensive as Accuton?

*Update; My box of 8 Alpair 10.3's just made it through customs and are waiting for their new cabinets.

I plan on building simple BR cabinets, as these are for a cocktail bar with low curved ceilings and the boxes need to be as petite as possible.

I have one question for you all, how best to drive 8 speakers?

Either I have some splitters and 4 power amps, or maybe use a good quality home cinema receiver?

If you're not needing huge amounts of power, and all the control function can be upstream, I'd be inclined to look at multi-channel zone amplifiers. I recently installed one of these in a small restaurant, and the flexibility was quite impressive.

Dayton Audio MA1240 Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier for Distributed Whole House Audio Systems 300-815

I never got a chance to try this guy out in a home situation, and the sound quality might not measure up to a stereo unit of comparable price, but in a cocktail bar that might not be the biggest concern. Also note that to accommodate connections for 12 speaker channels in an under 19" rack-mount package, the little green plug-in connectors don't allow for garden-hose thick cabling and spades/bananas etc. Other than that, it was a cinch to set up and set independent levels for all zones.

The issues I can envision with HT receivers for such an application include:
- a single errant press of any of several buttons can take you from 5 channel stereo to any one of several synthesized surround modes wherein some channels will have very little information,
- not all have power supplies sturdy enough to drive 4 pairs without risk of overheating.

Last edited:
I have purchased a Rotel RMB 1048 for myself.

This should give me 8 clean channels of amplification, loosing some of that spagetti junction behind my black boxes.

Set up as follows;

Mac mini (radio and dvd as input two and three) - MiniDSP 2x8 (with digital source selection and volume control - Rotel RMB 1048 - Alpair 7.3's and 2x Beyma 10BR60 (If I buy them)

Gives me a spare two channels for either subs, or trying out new speakers such as my Betsy's which arrived yesterday.

It's still on the back burner. Doing some basic Cnc work this week for another project. Hopefully my guy will be on board for helping out soon, when we both have time.

At the moment I would rather get the bass cabinet sorted as the alpair's are sitting happy in their simple walnut boxes.

I might try and sneak in 20 circles to turn some large wooden horns when I get around to using his machine.

Bass cabinets can take over from where the horn tails off.

Last edited:
No I have not, I started drawing it up in google sketchup, and it came to me that doing a laminated build will be easier then slices along the length.
It was easy to calculate the sizes also for the internal shape.....but I see that with slices along it could be good to make the internal shape, to guide the wave out of the enclosure.

Danny

My new rotel RMB 1048, starting to make me reconsider the need for bass cabinets, Oh well I have to use those 8 channels of power amplification on something...

Compared to the RB 960BX with bass on full, this new one with nothing sounds so much better. If only I could get my minidsp mic to work

Suited for what application / enclsoure exactly?

Many of us are awaiting availability of the latest G3 & P versions of Alpair 10. The 7 has been my daily driver for a couple of years now, but by the few accounts so far, the 10.3 and 10P could surpass them for a lot of folks.

Alpair 7 in TABAQ

FYI

I have simmed Alpair 7 in TABAQ, will do fine.

Hi from
Bjorn

Attachments

• Alpair 7 TABAQ.png
    Alpair 7 TABAQ.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 592
What's a TABAQ?

I have a box full of x8 10.3's just cut the baffles out today. Can't wait to get them all wired up. Sadly not for myself though.

Goal is to create a teardrop shaped b&w style 'perfect enclosure'.

As this will be crossed 250hz and up, up is the key word. Some of the MA range go to 30khz. I want the best midrange. Without needing. Tweeter.

Right, I am installing Parallels so I can finally install some native modelling software. Been trying to run HornResp with some Mac-Pc software with no joy.

CHR-70 are a third the price and have a higher acoustic drop off, worth considering?

If you're talking about the "teardrop shape B&W style perfect enclosure"* considering that the total cost invested in its development would be many times the price difference, I'd recommend the Alpair series over a similar sized CH R or P. It's no secret that my personal favorite of Mark's currently available drivers is the A7.3, which I think is particularly well suited as mid/tweet when XO in the 200-300Hz range.

* Granted the Nautilus series head enclosure for mid/tweets is striking - certainly a great combination of industrial design and production engineering- can we be sure it's "perfect"?

What's a TABAQ?

I have a box full of x8 10.3's just cut the baffles out today. Can't wait to get them all wired up. Sadly not for myself though.

Goal is to create a teardrop shaped b&w style 'perfect enclosure'.

As this will be crossed 250hz and up, up is the key word. Some of the MA range go to 30khz. I want the best midrange. Without needing. Tweeter.

Do you mean 10.2's?? I didn't think 10.3's were available quite yet.?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.