Visaton B200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wow! What amplification did you used?

Quite a few different amps. Mostly tubed.

What are the good sides of the B200? Is your tweaked B200 really so good?

Its a pleasant, fairly well behaved, fairly detailed driver that is happy on an OB. Without phase plugs i couldn't live with them, you are alternately trying to find the spot where they are balanced, decrying them because the top is taking off your head, or wondering if a ribbon tweeter could be made to mate with them.

I always thought that you were in love with the Alpairs.

I was not a fan of the original Alpair10, it had some of the same issues as the JX92. The Alpair10.2 is a very different, and much better driver. I prefer the A7 to a 10.2. A7.3 looks to be better yet. There are some very nice Fostex too... i'm thrilled with the new FF85, and the FF125wk looks like it will give me the driver to do aFonken v2 series.

dave

I have a pair of B200 in OB

They sound so terrifically musical and well that without exception everybody who hears them in the setup used is impressed

but also i agree on most points raised about them in forums
what did I do to make them shine?

1) painted them backside and frontside with Ennemoser lacquer This made a BIG difference .they sound after that very transparent,musical and precise as if with more focus. The lacquer made them a lot stiffer.
2) EQ ah yes that takes away any shrillness they may possess. now they have a zero flat response between 100hz-10khz. EQ done digitally by DEQX
3) the B200 only plays between 125hz and 8khz with phase linear 60db/oct filters.
4) wooden phase plugs

Still within that range they sound heavenly with modded Jadis tube amps

Regardless where it is made of, more important the QC of a particular product.
Most of the products having factories in Asian countries. Like Intel and AMD have their factory in Malaysia, but are they low built quality? We may have their factory in US, but can we still enjoy the cheap price?
Back to topic, I would agree that B200 are not the best driver, as it is a 96dB driver, I found it quite harsh especially at the 3k-6k region....
As for B80, just placed my order on this, waiting it to be shipped from Germany, but being a 85dB driver, I think it won't pierce my ears like B200 does....

You are wrong with B200, it has been used in many OB projects and quite successfully.

Also high SPL does means it will not sound good, there are many drivers, with high SPL eg. Lowther, etc that sound quite good.

B200

Hello,
are you know my experience with the B200,

sat- horns over 100 Hz, the Trumpet (measurements)
the horn (measurement by Visaton), Schalmei,
double bass horn RDH20 down ~30 Hz,
between 95-98 dB 1W 1m

Attachments

• sathornb200web.jpg
    sathornb200web.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 754
  • rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 744
The B200 is clearly a candidate for ob loading with its high qt. "Vintage"...not sure what you mean. If you mean it has a sloping response then eq it..if it beams at hf which it will as with all "fr" drivers, cross it over to a tweeter. The Visaton tl16 is a cracker.

It's time folk moved on and used the tools available...dsp is cheap as is using more than one amplifier. Enough of subjectivism..bring some objective measured research to the table or just keep pulling levers on the off chance of getting a result!!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.