Markaudio fullrange + Woofer 6 (FAST)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
zman, you are absolutely right. With bigger main (fullrange) driver you can cross even lower ... of course active /bi-amp/. For example, my current FAST is using 8" Fostex 206eN in a rather large (200l) horn, with 4x12" woofers and active crossover :rolleyes:

However, crossing the CHP-70 (which the thread is about) at 80 Hz isn't really the best solution I think. And I wouldn't want to think of a passive (which the thread is about) 80Hz crossover. :)
----
This thread is trying to come up with a solution that will cover 4x Hz - 20 kHz with a small budget drivers and (small budget) passive crossover, all in a small footprint "pretty" floorstander speaker. It should be able to play all types of music at decent volumes.

A tapped horn could cross in the 200 range if appropriate driver was used. There is a Beyma that gives wide band frequency response on lower end, but it is expensive. As for the OP's goals, you simply have to decide whethr you are ready to put time and effort into designijv an enclosure. You could always go find a completed 2.5 way design with good mating characteristics, drop the tweeter, and just put FR on box on top of remaining 1.5 of 2.5. You will be interested in its bottom end, so just cross it where you want to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.