1.5 way crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Like a thick felt grill that would absorb the high frequencies. I think a narrow baffle would work better for this, as the felt wouldn't be very effective until quite high up. Just speculating.

Usually 0.5s are used in 2 ways. I think the 0.5 might play to high without a stronger filter than a single inductor. Especially as the impedance increases towards higher frequencies. May need a 2nd order electrical with a large L and smallish C to make it work. Perhaps a combination of a single inductor, and a physical filter/reflector or something.

Not a bipole necessarily. Point one of the drivers to the side. My guess would be 30 or 45 degrees to avoid too much HF interference and get a wider sweetspot.
My experience with reflectors tells me that while they are alluring, they steal way too much HF detail and are very unpredictable and have to be of a considerable size to work.

Well one of the only real drawbacks of FR, is the smaller sweetspot. There will always be interference when you add more drivers. Question is how much? Having the waves travelling more towards orthogonal to each other will definitely lessen the problem.
It just seems a terrible waste of such a fine FR unit to cut back it's range, when you could use them both to their fullest and get an even better result.
Look at the altec lansing Laguna, the Bose 901 or the Timewindow for an example of something similar.
Personally if I were after bass without the cabinet space for it, I'd use a low passed sub or dedicated bass drivers.

Last edited:
With the CHR-70 being a 4R driver, it's not the best option for a 0.5 woofer as it can't be wired in parallel unless you bi-amp or have an amp that is 2R stable.

Series wiring that gives 8R does not give the full 0.5 woofer benefits as that only comes with parallel wiring (2R nom).

0.5 woofers with the right drivers do have the benefit of providing BSC, lower excursion, less distortion and higher power handling.

You only have the option of using dual drivers with series wiring to do a bipole or a dual front firing arrangement. If you are game and want to try the 0.5 paralleled woofer arrangement, try a 2mH - 3mH inductor in series to the 0.5 woofer..... warning-the amp could fry due to the excessively low impedance!

but double the cone area (running wide open) = less cone motion = less strained sound, always a plus.
Mine sounded better to my wife's ears than trying to use one for baffle step.
"Sharper, less blurry" she said.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

But the lack of vertical dispersion can be quite bothersome.

Do you want it to sound great, only when you sit down ??????

Norman

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.