1.5 way crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just the answer I was looking for--thanks Norman!

Yes, I want my desktop speakers to only sound great when I'm sitting down. Always wondered what you were up to but from what I gather (or attempt to understand) Using two of them in vertical fashion will narrow the sound field so off axis is limited?

Still trying to wrap the cranium around that--that would be a GOOD thing, right? At least for a desktop/computer use it should limit reflections? :confused:

Generally directivity is rarely a good thing, esp. when it only applies to a rather limited part of the spectrum. It can be tolerable with FR drivers if it's not to much and because they more than make up for it in other ways.
Two or three ways speakers are also directional in parts of the spectrum, and that can be even more objectionable/unnatural sounding out of the sweetspot. IE. a valley in the upper midrange will sound weird compared to a gentle roll-off of the top range, that we are already familiar with from natural circumstances.
But generally the FR guys saying the beaming is "good" because of less reflections are just sour grapes and probably defending their preference for penis substitute large drivers that beam like crazy and but can play louder. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.