Super simple RLH for 8" GRS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• new 8in horn.jpg
    new 8in horn.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 334
  • hornresp.jpg
    hornresp.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
I guess I didn't even know Nelson Pass designed speakers. I also tried modeling this driver in a ported enclosure and the horn plays much louder. Didn't try a sealed enclosure but then I've never really liked them. I guess what I'm most curious about is the mid and high frequencies of this driver as I haven't ordered any yet (I don't even have the $25 for a pair at the moment.)

Well I think the Pioneers are discontinued, which is why the GRS were introduced. I wish they would come up with a replacement for the 4" pioneer that was discontinued last year, as it seemed to perform on par with the Fostex FE126E in most aplications (in theory I never actually tried the pioneers). I will buy a pair of the GRSs and probably the Pioneers too if I can find them it's just not going to be in the next couple of weeks. I've already experimented with the Fostexes.

Better yet, clone the 4" RS 40-1197, an inexpensive knock-off of the Foster FE103 that performs better overall and requires less tweaking than the Pioneer. Best would be the '60s era FE103 with vocals to rival some fairly high end drivers. With its cream colored cone and red cloth surround, it was snazzy looking to boot. ;)

Then there were all those lovely Corals...........

GM

Yep, they were so smooth I was able to use just a cap at ~500 Hz and run them full range to a RS (Motorola) tweeter horn capped off at whatever 2.2 uF worked out to. The bottom end was typically RS's 'el cheapo' 12" guitar driver in what was essentially a semi-aperiodic tower that rocked down to around 40 Hz, plenty for the times.

Good times for DIYers, everything wasn't so @#$% technical/expensive to stand out from the crowd! That speaker today probably wouldn't draw flies at one of the bigger DIY Meets any more than a hot rod 'backyard special' from back then that would 'blow the doors off' anything available to the masses would today at even a local car Meet.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.