keele line array, bad start...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did the bottom of the box open up during transit? If so, make sure to photograph it. Or was it sometype of vandalism after delivery? If so, call the cops. If you are not sure do both and make sure you document everything. Alert Madisound and make a claim with the carrier (UPS?).

I am interested in Mr. Keele's line arrays too and have e-mailed him several times. He is very patient and genuinely sincere in providing information about his array. His videos are informative; he reminds of a professor I had in college. If you do get around to building the array please keep us posted.

Wow, I just wrote and posted above and an entire page of replies appeared. You guys are on it. Anyway, make sure you call the police and make a report, perhaps, your homeowners insurance might cover the loss- if substantial enough to file a claim.

WRT, to the CBT array, the curvature must be very precise according to the video, Keele said if it is not a curve from a circle (needs a certain percentage of the circumference) "it won't work." You may consider making a big compass and tracing the arc on your garage floor as a blueprint. I would take a long board for the baffle precut the holes and then underscore it between the cutouts, wet it and then bend the the baffle until it conforms to the arc. Then place the baffle over the side boards, trace and then cut out leaving a bit of overhang, glue, then route flush with a flush trim bit. The back need not be as precise as the front so it would be much easier to fabricate (to be safe ask Keele first).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose some kids were having fun...
Yes, someone cut to top of the box with sharp object, even some speakers inside were cut.
And yes, there is bunch of them missing.
Fedex should not leave box like this just in front of the door. I have the side door, like the covered porch, thats where the parcels are left most of the time.
Well, will see what Fedex says.

Sorry to see this, and I thought I was the only one who had this problem. :eek: Despite specific instructions on file at the Post Office, Fedex, and UPS some drivers still deliver to my front door with similar consequences. Like you I have a safe place for deliveries to be left, just can't always get them to do it. I usually call and have a heated discussion with their supervisors. Hope you get some satisfaction.

The Police here have been sympathetic and write and file a report, but there is very little they can do unless they stumble across a large stash of stolen items.

Once the item is delivered the carrier will disavow any responsibility for its safety. Deductibles being what they are home owners insurance never seems to cover it.

Last edited:
adason, a regular line array is very good... don't be so quick... read Keele's papers, and
then you will see what is what... apparently he is willing to help people too...

Regarding the claim - YOU have to call or email the shipper and make the claim.
You do not collect, the shipper collects, since the shipper has the contract with the carrier.
The shipper can reimburse you later or now, if they wish to.
Ask Madisound what they want you to do first, imo.

The carrier has the right to pay out and take the broken parts, or the entire shipment, depending on who agrees to what, or take nothing (often the case). Either way, keep the original shipping materials as received, if you can not open it more that is better, but at least make a photographic complete record of all the details including closeups that illustrate the damage points showing how the box opened... keep in mind they may claim that the item was improperly packed, well it may have been given the weight and type of contents...

_-_-bear

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
thanks for info bear
Madisound is cool, they will replace damaged and stolen speakers no problem
yes, I supplied pics, Madisound will deal with Fedex, the carrier
I read Keele's papers and listened to his presentation. I built line arrays before, I just do not believe
"the curvature must be very precise according to the video, Keele said if it is not a curve from a circle "it won't work.""
Audio Pages: Line array speakers
Picasa Web Albums - Eduard - Audio Pages

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Of course it will "work" - the question is whether or not it will have the directivity characteristics its designer intended, and whether or not that matters to the overall performance and to you..

I'm wondering whether there is some way to mock it up in easily worked materials. (Cardboard, plaster-of-paris, foam board, etc..) Or cast it out of something? (I struggle with building in wood too..)

if it is not a curve from a circle "it won't work.""

"it won't work" is the modus operandi. The difference between a straight array and a focused (arc) array is stunning. The straight array is good for parties (multiple listeners) while the focused array is about as good as a set of headphones (single listener). The two really shouldn't be compared but it is critical to know which you want.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The straight array is good for parties (multiple listeners) while the focused array is about as good as a set of headphones (single listener). The two really shouldn't be compared but it is critical to know which you want.

Cal, what you talk about is absolutely right, but I believe Keele's array is neither of those.
I built straight line array, I like it. But its not ceiling to ceiling, so its not "constant directivity". I tried focused (in) and I hated it. Too narrow sweet spot. I accidentaly experimented with Keele's type (which I would call "un-focused" with regards to two you mentioned), which is curved on the other side...

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cal, here it is...Keele himself and his array

Attachments

• Keele.JPG
    Keele.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.