Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

If you're referring to Planet10 cut plans, I 've noticed more than a few minor such discrepancies myself on the literally hundreds of Dave's drawings I've seen and built from over the years.

I always redraw in my own CAD program, as I often construct with different configurations of parts overlay/ insets, add dadoes / rabbets - which will change dimensions of parts drawn with butt joints- and forward some pieces to CNC production. I also always cut slightly larger than drawn and trim to dry fit on the first time build of a design from any source that is not a simple rectangular box.

Oh i Think im the one who made a mistake this time, the plan is correct, I didn't notice that the angles will have impact on the hight for example.:cool:

I managed to take a few crappy pictures with my phone today, next time i will bring my nikon. :) Still better than nothing.
tumblr_nyyi4wNMOl1rn2120o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyyi40NRvY1rn2120o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nyyi2xn1ov1rn2120o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks like there is some errors in the cut sheet. For example the "top" parts are 172mm in the cut sheet and 171mm in the plan where you see the speaker from the side. The baffle is 898 mm tall in cut sheet and 894mm in the drawing.

Could well be. What cut sheet, and what plan please so i can check it and correct where needed?

dave

Hope this isn't a dumb question and reading 115 pages is a little daunting....

I'm looking to build a set of speakers that aren't overly difficult (the flat packs are a major benefit here, along with the fact it ships inside Canada) to replace my speakers (tanoy and celestion - which while nice don't come close to sounding as good as my KRK RP8 G2 monitors)

I have read these sound really good, but my concern is they might not be suitable to what I listen to - mostly electronic music that is bass heavy.

I guess I'm looking for something that is louder/will fill a room better (and sound equal or better) than the RP8's and will let me focus on the diy amp stuff (right now my system is a LM3886 and a PGA2311 for volume control)

Hope this isn't too ambiguous of a question.

I'd second Zia's suggestion re the XLs, although if their footprint is daunting, then the FH3 with A7.3 high passed around 100Hz to a mono sub, or another octave higher to stereo co-located woofers would be work a look.

Where it not for the floor space required, which even in large rooms can be constrained by domestic acceptance factors, I'd probably be running FHXLs with Alair 10s (metal or paper, I can never decide :D) in my downstairs little 7.1 system. I hooked up a pair of small boxes with CHP70s to the front height / width effects channels a couple of weeks ago, and I kinda like what it adds on appropriately mixed material.

Whether a pair of Full range driver based speakers, even larger diameter such as the Alpair10s or Fostex FF165WK which have been implemented in the XLs, or other makes / models that you could expect to see suggested any time soon ... would satisfy your ear is another story.