Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Poultrygeist,

How are finding the sound after installing the MA drivers in the FH3?

I really like the 7MS but don't see them for sale on Madisound anymore? With them my FH3's have never sounded better. I used the Fostex FE126En for years and liked it's higher sensitivity but they weren't as smooth and easy to listen to as the MA. My room is not treated and has lots of windows but the FH3's in near field take much of the room issues out of the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
All the links to plans seams to be broken, where can I find the latest plans for the MK3?

I have a pile of Oak-planks in the garage, at least wide and tall enough for the baffle, maybe not for sides. Would there be any issue with making the baffle a little wider than recommended? I like the estistics with a baffle a few cm wider than the box. I.e. box inner dimensions will be unchanged, it is just the baffle which are wider on the outer dimension.

All the links to plans seams to be broken, where can I find the latest plans for the MK3?

I have a pile of Oak-planks in the garage, at least wide and tall enough for the baffle, maybe not for sides. Would there be any issue with making the baffle a little wider than recommended? I like the estistics with a baffle a few cm wider than the box. I.e. box inner dimensions will be unchanged, it is just the baffle which are wider on the outer dimension.
I think there will be no problem if you keep inner dimensions. Maybe Dave or Scott can confirm.
Working with real wood can be more difficult than plywood. You must check all joints are perfectly sealed for the horn working properly. Good luck with your project!

Reactions: 2 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Above the horn cutoff, ie 250-300 Hz, the driver’s FR is pretyt much what it is in any other box, below that frequency stuffing, driver, room, room placement becme dominant and a measure means little to anyone not in that room with that loudspeaker.

FE126 struggles with bass (minimum damping, corner placement really needed), and the driver needs some work to get rid of some of the rough edges. The A7 is pretty good out of the box and was the original target for the FH3.

With A7 in FH3 one gets something like 40-50 F10 typically, not quite an octave more with the bigger XL.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I did these for Sally.

Green-on-green-FE126e.jpg

dave

Reactions: 1 user
These speakers look fantastic, thinking of making the lite version. The plans are very detailed but on the lite there is only the construction with 12mm panel, where 12, 15 and 18mm are on the original plans. Sorry complete idiot here but can the lite be made from thicker. Also, it recommends ply or MDF but no mention of solid wood, is there a reason for this. :unsure: