Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Oh, that's just wonderful. Thanks for the heads up / warning Bob, I hadn't realised they decided to go that far. Our friends at Microsoft really do like making life difficult for their end-users don't they... yet another reason not to buy the new version of Office. Or Windows 8. Sorry to hear you've been caught by it.

Actually, I like W8.1. Once I got used to "start", I find it easier to organize than the desktop. Anyway.

David Ralph has a rewrite of PCD called WinPCD that does not require Excel. WinISD Pro alpha does everything that UniBox does. Pete Leonard's "Transmission Line" does everything that MJK's worksheets does in Part 1 (and then some, like 3-port DBR's) without MathCAD. I never found that MJK's part 2 modeled my room very well.

So.... For me, no Excel, nor MathCAD.

Bob

Depressing thought all round really. I suppose I'll look at 8.1 if finances permit (some hope).

WinPCD is certainly looking promising -I don't like the interface quite as much (did I just say that?). Better in some ways, not quite as good in others. Agreed re WinISD; just as good as UniBox & better in some ways. I always had some reservations about the vent dimensions in the latter, though it's quite accurate for damping in my experience, notwithstanding any standing waves of course. I must spend more time with Pete's software -might finally get chance over the holidays. From what I've seen, it's going to get a big thumbs up from me now that Martin's worksheets have been discontinued. I still use the latter; the 2nd half for room-loading was always a YMMV situation given the number of variables; assuming solid construction / boundaries & no major discontinuities I found they gave a reasonable indication of broad trends.

Scott,

MS is in the process of disabling the VB functions from Excel. If you intend to use spreadsheets with VB functions, you need to keep an old copy of Excel. I did't. Now Unibox, PCD, etc are broken to various degrees. MS wants everything done in .Net framework.

Bob

Have you tried Open Office's spreadsheet?

I've had pretty good luck with Excel sheets running in Open Office's Calc....

FYI, YMMV, Yadda Yadda....

John

Frankly, I find Numbers to be no great shakes either

I quite liked Quattro Pro and WordPerfect back in the late '90's - both quite intuitive enough for the basic work I was tasked to at the time. But then I was content with a steam powered CAD program by Autodesk, called AutoSketch, which still runs quite stably in XP virtual mode in W7

I can draw a fully dimensioned enclosure faster using that than by hand;) - then export a DXF to our CNC production department

MS

Scott, MS is in the process of disabling the VB functions from Excel. If you intend to use spreadsheets with VB functions, you need to keep an old copy of Excel. I did't. Now Unibox, PCD, etc are broken to various degrees. MS wants everything done in .Net framework. Bob

Hi there: My older copy of MS/Excel that I use for HR and LDC6 has been running well on an older lap top disconnected from the internet (several years now) to keep MS from screwing around with this computer by constantly updating, also has prevented other internet nasties. regards Michael

Not quite that simple... the CNC software often has trouble with the AutoDesk DXF, i often get them, import them into VectorWorks and re-export them as DXF which the CNC sw can read...

dave

well, actually it's not quite that cut and dried, but seems to be a matter of unidentified issues with some of my DXF -others work perfectly fine without the sight-seeing trip up the mountain

Geez, I can't remember the last time I had to export a DXF.:eek:

jeff

Every CAD/CAM industry environment will be different no doubt, but in our case, the CNC production machines (Giben Smart SP beam saw, Morbidelli Author 600KL point to point) by the time the tool bits touch the material, there may be up to 6 individual steps of conversion / compiling from the original AutoCAD DXF /DWG file.

Neither of them would know exactly WTF to do with a raw DXF.

I perhaps used the term "export" incorrectly - what I meant was my drawings are not made on either of the same PCs in which these conversion steps are made before being transmitted over the network to the shop floor.

but you knew that

Just took my first listen to the Alpair 7.3s that are going into my FH. I have one in a USPS (postal service) box that is 12" square on the sides, 6" wide, with internal baffles a la FH. The other is just bare. Listening to Norah Jones and she sounds pretty nice at low volumes. I'll put this on repeat and drive the rest of my family crazy with it for break in. While I generally don't believe in break in I'll follow the recommendation since the real boxes aren't ready yet anyway.

At least another 2 days of cutting, measuring thrice, cutting once, and then doing a mock glue up. Still trying to figure out the order for glueing, as the chamfer I put on the front/side joint is difficult to get right. There is one big drawback of using pre-finished wood in that you can't cover up your mistakes easily.

Last edited:
I've moved on from Norah. Even I get bored, never mind my daughters.

They've been playing non-stop since about 11, so I'm almost half way to the 20 hour mark, then I can start increasing the volume. I may be able to clamp together the first box tomorrow as I found some time today to cut some wood. It would be without the curve.

One thing I'm finding is using a router on the flooring I'm using for the build is a lot slower than on MDF. That oak layer is extremely hard and leaves a very sharp edge, as my thumb will tell you. It sliced right through, ouch.

I've put the Pandora Standards/Vocal Jazz station on and they keep playing Sinatra even though I've given it the thumbs down 4 or 5 times already today.

Here's a pic of where I am. I still need to cut the driver opening and curve but otherwise I'm ok with the fit of everything else. The front is chamfered, the back is dadoed, the rest is butt joints.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    845 KB · Views: 364
Cutting the curve is proving to be difficult. I built a long extension to the circle jig on my router and tried using that, but I needed to anchor the jig on my bench and use a separate table to hold the template I was making. The problem is the table shook, the router dug in, and the piece broke (it was already broken but holding together, that's why it was going to be the template). I ended up with a not very even curve at a 1/4" depth in a 5/8" piece. I've tried to sand it even, but I'm going to cut all the way through, use a flush trim bit to get the whole thing even, and then sand the curve fully smooth. It isn't off by more than an 1/16th of an inch in the worst spot.

Maybe by EOD tomorrow I'll have a box fully shaped and clamped and I can take a listen. The drivers have about 25 hours on them at this point. I'll resist the urge to turn it up.

Last edited: