Boxes or Not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Screw blocks = corner blocks = cleats

If you are using a brad nailer or stapler, chamfer strip is often used. Works great if you only have a few bar clamps like me

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 120
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Don,
The resilient coating actually works very well. The high pitched "tock" sound lost the high frequency components after coating the wood. Our first use was on the HDF boxes. Those darn things can be machined. In fact, it's best that you think that way when building them. As for end "grain" screws - no problems. Particle board does not have a grain, so the only thing to worry about is splitting. Pilot holes remove that thread, and it's good to over-drill the hole. That allows the excess glue to go somewhere. There may even be some compressed air (a very, tiny little bit).

We began using dowels and later biscuits for bonding and holding things together. Once the glue has cured, any hardware is completely superfluous. You're further ahead to remove it if the cabinet will deal with high SPL. For normal home speakers, your only concern is having the filler fall out later. The one large plus screws do have is that they align and apply pressure to the joint until the glue sets and cures. With dowels and biscuits, you need to apply pressure evenly with straps or bar clamps.

I only use cleats or blocks in shelving or drawers. Speaker boxes don't need them any more unless you are building a Karlson or horn types. I'm sure that other fancy enclosures could use them as well.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Don,
I just can't ever imagine myself using OSB, but some people must love it. To each his own.

I once had a customer who used flexible material (no idea what it was) to make perfect spherical enclosures. He swore it would be superior to any other box. My thought on the matter were simple. Talk about one heck of a single resonant mode! That and being flexible never made sense to me. Perhaps in a sphere, flexible is good? I don't know, it simply doesn't make any sense to me. A guy I worked with paid this guy to make 10" boxes for his car (1977 Malibu). They went into the rear parcel shelf.

It looked like a large <unprintable words> frog was coming up behind him. Sounded horrible on top of that.

-Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Well, now that it happens Im working on a speaker, heres a few pictures
still lots of work to do, but knocking test is already very promissing, yeah

Attachments

• IMG_0860 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0860 (Large).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0863 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0863 (Large).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0864 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0864 (Large).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 176
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
one major important thing, be it expencive plywood or cheap particle chipboard, all cuts needs to be 100% straight and perfectly angled, or it will suck big time
and still a good idea to check angle when assembling

managed to assemble bottoms, and shoot a few pictures showing soaked joints
I keep applying glue to both joining parts, layer by layer, multiple times until its fully soaked

Attachments

• IMG_0866 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0866 (Large).JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0874 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0874 (Large).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0889 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0889 (Large).JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 77
There is simply no reason why the DIYer's out there shouldn't seal the inside of their boxes. It is not that difficult and really only represents a little more money and another step or two. You can tape out the joint areas before painting or spraying. Too easy.

I'm trying to fill the (quite wide) gaps in my knowledge: Should I silicon all the edges in the box or also completely cover the insides of the box with something?

About bracing, should battens be used to secure the edges of the box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.