Boxes or Not

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've build 12 and 15" Karlson enclosures and they always worked best with ply. With MDF they would reverb tremendously, particle board was better and ply was the best.

IME I have found that particle board laminated both sides (ie. the stuff they use for kitchens) is pretty good for enclosures. Lacks the stiffness of ply, but better than MDF (again IME).

Cheers,

Alex

Last edited:
Agreed to a point.
The changing amount energy applied to the system thing was Dave's contribution. However, there is a major point that I think is being missed here. There is also a coupling efficiency at work. That operates in two ways, both energy into storage in the enclosure materials, and coupling that energy back out into the medium (air).

Radiation resistance is another point which I didn't mention in my previous reply. See below.

I think a corrected statement could be worded as "If you only change the mass, "the amount of energy transferred to the enclosure as a system" does in fact change. Italics mine.

I still disagree. Read on:

The reason is that although the system with added mass is exposed to the same energy sources (so that remains constant), less of that energy can be coupled to the box. Even if exactly the same amount of energy had been stored inside the box system, the free motion of the panels will be less than in the case of a lighter material.

Look at the equation F=ma. Force = (mass) X (acceleration). So for any instant in time, the force being fixed at each comparison point, added mass must decrease the available acceleration. That means less movement of any parts of the box system that are heavier.

You're missing the energy term. E=MC^2. You have to transfer energy from the enclosed air into the box in order to transfer it from the box into the surrounding air. Doubling the mass will halve the acceleration, but the amount of energy transferred per time unit is unchanged.

So a heavier box will vibrate at a lower amplitude and frequency, but it will vibrate for longer. Radiation resistance...

(All of this assumes no change in compliance with the change in mass.)

Actually, that was done so that the terminal area could be recessed into the rear panel.

On the 3 cabinets I have seen this in:
Two used a plastic terminal cup recess. One had the crossover mounted on the inner side.
The other box used a thin piece of hardboard to mount the terminals inside a cutout in the back panel.

If I were directing a speaker manufacturing line and was required to have inset speaker terminals, I would most definitely use the woofer cut out waste. Wouldn't you?

No. Most terminals are too short to mount through the thickness of a back panel, let alone through the thickness of a (usually thicker) piece of baffle material.

In the case of any wood used in speaker boxes (indeed, in anything) needs to be sealed to prevent long term damage due to water vapor or mist.

I recommend flooring grade particle board. It is dense, stiff, and water resistant (designed to withstand rain until you get the roof on.) And I have a good stock of aged and finished solid oak sheets waiting for a deserving design. Remember when beds had wire bases, and solid oak head and tailboards? The thrift shops and junkyards here were full of the boards some years back. They could hardly give them away. I bought a couple of dozen for a buck or two each. How much would you pay now for a dead flat sheet of solid oak, about 3/4" to 7/8" thick, and about 3 by 5 feet? (Usually made from 2 or 3 planks, joined so well the joints can only be seen by the grain change.)

I like brick boxes and baffles. They rock out. Unfortunately all baffles sound like garbage. That's why everyone isn't running out to buy those little bolt or stick on voice coils and just pasting them to any old thing that ain't actually a speaker cone. Arguing the right "tonal balance" from a baffle by choosing various materials and and construction is a bit humorous. The fact is, unless you are dealing with insanely high mass, strength, and damping, you're talking about tradeoffs in terms of sound quality. Anything you do to make a speaker box dainty is going to make it sound worse, with exception to controlling the thicknesses and contours around the drivers and edges for various reasons.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Don,
You're missing the energy term. E=MC^2. You have to transfer energy from the enclosed air into the box in order to transfer it from the box into the surrounding air. Doubling the mass will halve the acceleration, but the amount of energy transferred per time unit is unchanged.
Actually, the first part of your statement is exactly what I'm trying to get at there, and I agree with you 100% on that. Note that if you reduce the acceleration, you do reduce the amount of energy transfer - per unit time. Your next statement follows nicely though, the logic is fine.
So a heavier box will vibrate at a lower amplitude and frequency, but it will vibrate for longer. Radiation resistance...
As the box vibrates at a lower amplitude, it transfers a lower amplitude to the air resulting in a less audible sound. That's how a speaker cone works. So the unwanted contribution is less audible with a heavier box, even if we accept that the transferred energy is identical.

The entire reason I use undercoating on the interior walls of an enclosure is to disrupt energy transfer from the air to the box material (whatever it may be). Plus, this increases the damping and kills off surface waves too.

(All of this assumes no change in compliance with the change in mass.)
That's fair enough.

Two used a plastic terminal cup recess. One had the crossover mounted on the inner side.
The cut out is simply used as another bit of material. The thickness doesn't matter since the plastic cup holes are normally cut clear through anyway. The plastic is the only thing separating inside from outside. I have seen long binding posts used through both thicknesses. Don't ask me why, but someone thought it was a good idea.

I'm sure both of us can select examples for either side of this argument. But I will say that a speaker manufacturer will do as much as they can to reduce shipping weight. They often take this concept to evil extremes, and it's also the reason why boxes are at less 1/2 the volume they should be.

Most terminals are too short to mount through the thickness of a back panel, let alone through the thickness of a (usually thicker) piece of baffle material.
Explained above. There is no need for the wood to be less thick as it's cut out straight through.

I recommend flooring grade particle board.
Sure, that will work as well.
Here in Canada, Particle board and MDF refer to the same thing. There is also Chipboard (nasty stuff) and other things. It's possible that what I refer to as MDF might actually be "Particle board" in your country, I'm not sure. It is very common for terms to be slightly different even across the same country, never mind different countries.

Hi AmadeusMozart,
I've build 12 and 15" Karlson enclosures and they always worked best with ply. With MDF they would reverb tremendously, particle board was better and ply was the best.
Well, no kidding!
Karlson enclosures are exactly wrong for particle board or MDF, just because of the way they are made. I'd say the same for some horn enclosures. Whenever you have a situation that doesn't allow for proper bracing, you are locked into a smaller set of possible materials to use.
Another item to consider is that speakers are often made as cheap as possible and great improvements can be achieved by mounting the speaker by the magnet and have a flexible seal between baffle and speaker.
That can be don no matter what material you are using. Nulls out.
IMHO one of the biggest mistakes is to overlook transient response and/or dynamics in favour of frequency extension or the flatness of the response. The latter will most definitely not be flat once introduced into a living room. In the case it is not flat it better to use a good equalizer up-stream to achieve this (rather than using passive components and introduce phase issues) and focus on the other aspects.
Wow.
The better the box is to start, and driver(s), the less messing around you need to do upstream. But then again, this applies to any material and box construction.
One of my pet faves is the "beaming" and "critical placement" of speakers and although the Karlson's are poo-poo'd by a lot of people they have a lot of good things going for them when build well.
Okay, so you like Karlson's. A box made from concrete would be interesting. :)

-Chris

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As the box vibrates at a lower amplitude, it transfers a lower amplitude to the air resulting in a less audible sound.

That is what you might expect, but the research (Toole) has shown that it is the opposite. The paper linked above covers the subject referring to the same work as Toole and adds some.

The entire reason I use undercoating on the interior walls of an enclosure is to disrupt energy transfer from the air to the box material (whatever it may be).

If you are talking about energy transfer from the air space inside the box, this is only a small part of the energy input, and if the panel resonances are sufficiently high, adequate air space damping will kill most of this energy. This leaves the predominant energy source for exciting resonances as that provided by the driver's direct connection to the box. (and no, compliant mounting is a cure worse than the problem, magnet mounting is a whole nouther thing, as exemplified by the Fujitsu TEN ellispsoids can work well, but moves us into a whole new world of complexity)

Here in Canada, Particle board and MDF refer to the same thing.

No they do not. I have a set of FH Mk3 protos here made of particle board and it is a distinctively different material. We used it as it is cheaper, and by all the research, better, than MDF, and we won't feel guilty when they go to the tip,

dave

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
heres what I could find showing particle board
in my youth, when I built backloaded horns, this was all we could get, MDF wasnt yet invented

YouTube - Cutting Particle Board

YouTube - table saw particle board 1200fps

btw, I just recently got a pair of Lowther horns returned from a friend
I built them maybe 30 years ago, using particle board
modified with curves in cast concrete
they have been stored for years in an old barn, and damaged from moist, but all joints are still intact, only in need of small repair job on a couple edges
I dont know, but would be a shame to scrap them, so I will try those WildBurro I got a while ago, might work, if my diy ribbon works too :D

Here in Canada, Particle board and MDF refer to the same thing. There is also Chipboard (nasty stuff) and other things.

Hi Chris, I'm afraid dave is correct. Particle board is what we used before MDF came along. Most speakers in the 70's and 80's used it. It was also known as K3. You could get it in varying densities according to the pressure used to manufacture it. IIRC there was low medium and high and 70 lbs was one of them you could buy at the local lumber yard, the other two you had to order. The particles in particle board are much larger than the sawdust used in MDF or HDF. Chipboard is often referred to as oriented strand board, aka OSB. I'm sure there are others here that are more aware of these things than I, but this is what I remember with the remaining brain cells.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I learned from my very first step with box building.....to take exstreme care when applying the glue
ends needs to be carefully soaked, several times
that was water proof white glue

Now I mostly use foaming polyurethane
But even with that, I still soak ends with glue, several times, spreading it carefully with a knife
And I even apply glue to both parts to be joined
btw, its important to remove excessive glue before it dries, or it will be a pain to remove

It seems like this last poly glue I got is more dense, and soft, kind of flexible
Less foamy than I have been used to, and gives the feeling of good strength

oh, I forgot, have some glue to remove, have to go, cheers

(...)
The entire reason I use undercoating on the interior walls of an enclosure is to disrupt energy transfer from the air to the box material (whatever it may be). Plus, this increases the damping and kills off surface waves too.

What sort of undercoating do you use? I would imagine it to be soft, thick compared with the wavelengths involved, and internally damped.

(...)
Here in Canada, Particle board and MDF refer to the same thing. There is also Chipboard (nasty stuff) and other things. It's possible that what I refer to as MDF might actually be "Particle board" in your country, I'm not sure. It is very common for terms to be slightly different even across the same country, never mind different countries.

As others have pointed out, MDF is the same the world over.

MDF / HDF:
Manufactured from very small wood fibres with dimensions similar to those used in paper making.

Particle board / Chipboard:
A generic name for boards made from relatively large wood chips, in some cases several inches long. Usually lighter than MDF because of the air space in the wood cells and lower binder (resin) content, and can be stronger because the length of the chips forms "plies".

OSB (Oriented Strand Board):
A variant of chipboard where the wood chips are lined up parallel to each other (oriented) and then arranged in multiple "plies" in alternating layers.

Flooring grade chipboard:
In NZ, it is a board made from fibres larger than MDF but smaller than "chipboard", up to 1 cm or so. If you imagine MDF to be "white bread", flooring board is "wholegrain bread". (And chipboard is "muesli".) :) The binder is a melamine resin (water resistant) and high pressures are used to make a strong and dense board. It will withstand standing water for a reasonable time, the main effect being raising of the surface grain requiring sanding if the floor is to be painted / varnished. (Floors may be rained on several times before the building is "closed in".)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:)
Dead it may be, but here in Mississauga at the lumber stores, the terminology was the same. How am I to know in a case like that.

So, I'll describe what we used, bought as MDF. Formed wood sheets using fine wood particles and glue in a matrix. It will absorb water and swell to about 50% size and fall apart. That's serious water damage though. The stuff had to sit in water for a while before that happened. This stuff was normally stocked in various lumber stores. High density was always special order and expensive. It worked well, so we used it for all high power speaker enclosures (200 watts and up - real power).

There seems to be a couple grades of chip board. Some known as OSB, and the lighter junk known as chip board. So whatever I used (tell me) worked very well, and we knew it as MDF. It held screws very well and was pretty dense stuff. I'll admit that I have no clue what the name really is at the moment. The last time I bought this stuff was over 12 years ago.

Hi Don,
The undercoat remained pliable and thick / heavy. I think it contains asphalt or something like it. We originally used the stuff that Ford used, but moved on to better things. I'm considering it's use on our metal duct work in the house. It damps that right completely out. I have seen it in spray cans, but we used the paint on stuff. No way are you going to spray this stuff out. As a side benefit, it will seal air leaks. You shouldn't have any if your cuts are done well and the glue was spread properly.

I think any pliable coating that remains "rubbery" should work for damping out panels. I know that when knocking on a box we made, it sounded high pitched and could ring. This coating changes the sound to more of a thump (knocking on the outside) and totally kills the ring off.

Anyway, it could be that the local lumber yard or my wood guy called these by the wrong terms. I just designed the box and put some together. The stuff I used was called MDF, so I just accepted that.

-Chris

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
:)

I think any pliable coating that remains "rubbery" should work

-Chris

Here we paint bathrooms with rubber stuff, before mounting tiles or painting

Theres also another type, more glue like, and good for mounting isolating materials

And theres that black tar like stuff used for roofing work
But thats nasty toxic stuff
I suppose thats Cal´s department
btw, its very good fore coating driver diaphragms

Chris, a few years ago I also had the thought, that soft rubber paint on outer surfaces would change fore the better, mostly with regards to diffraction/reflection, but have not yet tried it :eek:

Hi Don,
The undercoat remained pliable and thick / heavy. I think it contains asphalt or something like it.

I agree it will do a good job of damping highly resonant panels (changes a "bong" to a "thud"). I'm a bit more doubtful that it would do what you wanted it to do:

The entire reason I use undercoating on the interior walls of an enclosure is to disrupt energy transfer from the air to the box material (whatever it may be).

I suspect the amount of energy transfer will be very similar with or without the coating. The only way it could reduce the energy transfer would be if it deformed significantly (compressed, like foam) and then internally dissipated the energy so stored.

As for damping materials in general, I've been there many years ago in places such as the rec.audio.car newsgroup. For example:

Dynamat- What's it made of? - rec.audio.car | Google Groups

As for the many different names for manufactured wood, it's no big deal. Stick to the definitions I gave in my previous post and you can't go far wrong. :) :) :)

OSB, or 'oriented strand board", is typically made of poplar, or similar soft-wood copmposites. The "chip sizes range in size from approx. 1/4" to about the size of a Loonie (!$ coin for you non-Canucks!)
So called because approx. 60% of it's fibers are oriented in a similar direction. Typically used for sheathing, it would belong nowhere around speaker enclosures, IMHO.
Don

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.