Frugel Horns - can't decide / need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Out of curiosity did you ever mess with the 4" Merrill drivers I abandoned? That really stunk having them damaged in transit.

On your web site you seem to be very busy and I'm wondering if you have time to work on a pair of Betsy-Ks for me.

TIA

Chris made me a jig, and i was more or less able to make them useable (althou not pretty) -- the baskets were sure cheap. After playing a bit i donated them to a poor mom who had blown up her speakers (rather her kids did). They fit almost perfectly into her existing cabs and she was thrilled to have tunes again.

Yes, i can squeeze a pair of BetsyK in. I still have stock of the phase plugs.

dave

Attachments

• betsy-eN-comp.jpg
    betsy-eN-comp.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 189
alright... I knew the basics, but not the Fostex characteristics - well, something learned

About the Lotus V2: is the side speaker supposed to be "looking" in between the speakers or to the outside? Doesn't that effect the "stage" in a bad way - because that's my experience with any drivers applied to the sides of any cabinet?

I usually face them in firing towards each other. I think it actually makes the stage a bit bigger and helps open up the room a bit. I can't comment on how it sounds with no side firing drivers at all but with them it's nothing short of bliss.

The design isn't too complicated either. For only $200 in drivers it would be hard to do better IMO.

@italynstylion/chrisb: thanks for your feedbacks... 4 CHR70s would cost around 130€ here at the moment.. thats a great value I think

@tweak: very interesting driver. Is that picture the open baffle thing? I'd rather have a usual cabinet.. I'll be looking out for some usual vabinet speakers using the Betsy-K driver

@planet10: I like the Lotus v2. The cabinet doesn't need that much ply/mdf and the chr70 is quite affordable. Are there any frequency response scripts available for this speaker? The CHR70's script alone looks great!

@italynstylion/chrisb: thanks for your feedbacks... 4 CHR70s would cost around 130€ here at the moment.. thats a great value I think

@planet10: I like the Lotus v2. The cabinet doesn't need that much ply/mdf and the chr70 is quite affordable. Are there any frequency response scripts available for this speaker? The CHR70's script alone looks great!

I dunno about whether such measurements have been taken (nor for that matter their relevance to any environment other than that of the test), but I can make one suggestion - on any of Scott or Dave's designs, don't use MDF. Either spend the money on quality plywood, or use particle board (of course the time and materials required to achieve a furniture grade finish on the latter will offset the cost savings)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.