Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Hello,

on page 2 were a question about the difference between Lotus and Coniston.

I have seen the TSP of EL 70 / CHR 70 / Alpair 70.
( For me, they looks very same ? )

I will build a double mouth BVR for my Alpair 7.

Wich enclosure schould I take ?
Coniston ( originally for CSS - EL 70 ) ?
or
Lotus ( originally for CHR - 70 ) ?

Greats , and many thanks for answers, TJ

Hello,

on page 2 were a question about the difference between Lotus and Coniston.

I have seen the TSP of EL 70 / CHR 70 / Alpair 70.
( For me, they looks very same ? )

I will build a double mouth BVR for my Alpair 7.

Wich enclosure schould I take ?
Coniston ( originally for CSS - EL 70 ) ?
or
Lotus ( originally for CHR - 70 ) ?

Greats , and many thanks for answers, TJ

I think Scott addressed these questions shortly after originally posed on page 2 - in short, different enclosure for different drivers - mix 'n match at your entertainment/risk.

I've not followed the discussions that closely - has Scott recommended a BVR for the Alpair 7? There is a Woden Design - Callanish, but I think it's classified as a "Olson" style manifold, and of course Dave's own "Fonkenish" for this driver. The former I've not yet heard, the latter definitely works very well.

Last edited:
F***... The wires inside my left speaker is glitching again and i've fastened the top-piece with 12 screws and glue... Hopefully the bottom piece is easier to remove...
Gotta solder them in some way, or use the CAT5-cables...

Edit: How much Cat5 cable would i need? Is there any difference between the different colored ones?

Sorry; Pit. But i don't understand what you are trying to say :S
I've got quite a lot of money now, around 10000 swedish kronor, but i have to divide it up well... I can also get some money from selling my current amplifier. So let's say i can spend about 4000-4500 on a tube amp... A friend of mine said Yaqin MC-100B, but some others say it's just chinese crap. I'm also a bit worried about ordering from those guys on Ebay, how safe is it?

What i'm planning to buy:
Amp for the Mar-Kel70
Amp for the sub
Behringer Digital EQ
DAC (unless the one in the behringer is good enough)

And then i'm about to build enclosures for the subs and then a rack for my stuff. So there will be a lot of money :S And it's difficult to know what's best :S

Nikolas- I think perhaps Pit is demonstrating his Teutonic sense of humor - there are none of us posting here for any length of time that haven't been misinterpreted or worse :rolleyes:

As for options for tube amp for the Mark Audio drivers, I'd suggest that 15-20W would be more than adequate, particularly as you're planning on powered woofer(s). Rather than make any suggestions on specific commercial products, have you considered that it might be time to try your hand at a kit/DIY amp project?

My first tube amp (11 yrs ago now) was a Jolida 302B - "typical" EL34 P/P rated (perhaps optimistically) at 50WPC in U/L mode, and easily converted to Triode with no feedback for approx 1/2 that. Since then I've found even less power than that to be more than satisfactory for my own needs, with amps ranging from 2watts (EL84 / SV83 SET) to 15W EL84 P/P pentode, with 2A3 / 300B / EL34 SET among others along the way. Only 2 of them weren't kits or scratch builds.

I'll have to tell you that after over 40yrs addicted to the audio hobby, only the last 10 of which have been actively involved in the DIY aspect, I get more of a kick out of finishing a new electronic project than most loudspeakers.

What i'm planning to buy:
Behringer Digital EQ

Have you seen this DSP / digital EQ? You can even get one for under 100$ if you buy it without a box (just the circuit board). I have two of them, and I'm very happy with them so far. You can use it as crossover, and as EQ.

It's even possible to input digital audio directly (but that requires a bit of DIY / more components).

Yes, I have looked at DIY but it sounds difficult. And I don't have any tools at all. Might be able to borrow from school but not sure. How difficult is it really?

Well, the one in the box doesn't require any tools at all. Just plug in, and you're ready to go - no harder than the Behringer.

If you want digital input, you will need either an extra component (minidigi), or you will need a playback device with I2S output. Just buying the device for 70 dollars would probably be easier if you are a beginner. Or just use the analog input. No DIY required (apart from setting the EQ - but you always have to do that yourself).

Yes, I have looked at DIY but it sounds difficult. And I don't have any tools at all. Might be able to borrow from school but not sure. How difficult is it really?

There must be something like a local DIY / Triode / Bottlehead community that could help you out.

The tools required for component assembly aren't that extensive - good soldering iron & or gun, multimeter(s), screw / nut drivers and pliers wire cutters /strippers - all could easily fit in a small briefcase. Fabrication of chassis etc., and elaborate testing / measurement is of course where the tools and toys can get complicated and expensive very quickly - but I'd wager there are thousands of kit/diyers (myself included) who've built very successful projects without knowing how to use a 'scope or distortion analyzer. Of course when we run into problems, our geek friends really earn their bribes. :)

Not to scare you off, but be aware that tubes do operate on moderately high to very high voltages, so there is absolutely a risk of serious physical injury or instant death if appropriate care is not taken.

Chris has something to say about that :)

Anyone want to buy some nice 300B monobloks?

dave

well I did temporarily succumb to the allure of a particular 300B amp (the least classic "romantic" tone of those I could ever afford) but of all the DHT I've heard, my overall favorite is still the 2A3

that said, the 6BQ5 / EL84 / 6P14P variants can make so much damned fine music (particularly in triode mode) for so little money that's they're hard to ignore

so yes, I'd be happy for the Wright Mono7 amps to find a new foster home