TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, i am a newbie from taiwan. Just join this big family few month ago.

I was buy a pair of Tangband W4-1320SB Speaker from online store.But i don't have a good enclosure design can install two speakers.
Then i searched internet and found TABAQ enclosure which design by Bjohannesen. It's a very good design, but it's too big for my room.
So i search this forum again and found some rules to change origional TABAQ design.
I follow these rule and MOD TABAQ to bookshelf size like Fig1, and entire structure like Fig2.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fig1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Fig2 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure entire structure.

Is this design good to use? If not, how to MOD it? Did i miss anything else?

Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you read this thread and reply. :)

intriguing

Greetings!

I don't know if this would work or not, but I really like your take on the TABAQ. I'm currently building a couple of pairs as gifts for friends.

I'm intrigued by the size you've come up with here. Would this be as versatile as the tower TABAQ- as far as rolling drivers? Could this use the W3 speakers as well as the W4? Would it use the same BSC as the tower TABAQ? If so, I think I may have just found my brother's birthday gift. :)

It doesn't look like a lot of lumber. If your ambitious enough to follow this through, PLEASE keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know!

PS: Your english is just fine.

Greetings!

I don't know if this would work or not, but I really like your take on the TABAQ. I'm currently building a couple of pairs as gifts for friends.

I'm intrigued by the size you've come up with here. Would this be as versatile as the tower TABAQ- as far as rolling drivers? Could this use the W3 speakers as well as the W4? Would it use the same BSC as the tower TABAQ? If so, I think I may have just found my brother's birthday gift. :)

It doesn't look like a lot of lumber. If your ambitious enough to follow this through, PLEASE keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know!

PS: Your english is just fine.

I I haven't build this enclosure yet, so i am not sure this design will as good as origional TABAQ design.

I found some mistake on the design, the port cross section is not as same as origional cross section.
I will fix this mistake and update figure later. :)

I I haven't build this enclosure yet, so i am not sure this design will as good as origional TABAQ design.

I found some mistake on the design, the port cross section is not as same as origional cross section.
I will fix this mistake and update figure later. :)

Ok. I just fix the port height, from 16mm to 12.5mm, and fix front pannel and internal wood board, both adds 3.5mm height from origion tabaq bookshelf design to port fix tabaq bookshelf design.:)

Update two figure here.

TABAQModbookshelf_3DSketch_FixPort.png

Fig.1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design with fix port size draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

TABAQModbookshelf_2DSketch_FixPort.png

Fig.2 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure with fix port size entire structure.

Prototype

I was build a prototype for this cabinet design, which is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare with last design, i was fix internal compartment configuration and put the BSC circuit in this space.

The sound is great. Plywood bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design, but port size is very hard to cut. So i will modified the port again in my final design.

PICT0133.jpg

Fig1. Prototype cabinet.
PICT0118.jpg

Fig2. Internal compartment configuration.
PICT0122.jpg

Fig3. BSC Circuit.
TABAQModbookshelf_2DSketch_ModBSCCa.png

Fig4. 2D Sketch.
PICT0125.jpg

Fig5. Mass Loaded Port.
PICT0126.jpg

Fig6. Compare with original TABAQ cabinet.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Fig1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

Is this design good to use? If not, how to MOD it? Did i miss anything else?

Thank you posting your design. Looks good and I am thinking building the bookshelf version (no space for the tall version)

One change I would have made is make the filter accessible - if continuously playing at loud levels the resistor may not be able to dissipate the heat.

Let us know how it sounds (Do you have also the floorstanding TABAQ? How does it compare?)

AM

Looks like you've been busy! What driver did you use for your prototype? Does this version use the same BSC?

Hi
I use TangBand W4-1320 driver and same BSC with it.

AmadeusMozart said:
Thank you posting your design. Looks good and I am thinking building the bookshelf version (no space for the tall version)

One change I would have made is make the filter accessible - if continuously playing at loud levels the resistor may not be able to dissipate the heat.

Let us know how it sounds (Do you have also the floorstanding TABAQ? How does it compare?)

AM

OK, I changed the enclosure design to let BSC space accessible.

My prototype is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare it with original TABAQ enclosure build by 18mm MDF, prototype bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design.

I just upload two designs to google 3D warehouse. One design sketch with vertical port and the other one with horizontal port. These designs has same port cross section and same port length.

Links:
1.Vertical port
2.Horizontal port

Thank you read this thread and reply. :D
Best regards.:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Hi
I use TangBand W4-1320 driver and same BSC with it.

OK, I changed the enclosure design to let BSC space accessible.

My prototype is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare it with original TABAQ enclosure build by 18mm MDF, prototype bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design.

I just upload two designs to google 3D warehouse. One design sketch with vertical port and the other one with horizontal port. These designs has same port cross section and same port length.

Links:
1.Vertical port
2.Horizontal port

Thank you read this thread and reply. :D

The google 3D looks very good.

Thank you for reporting the results, I was expecting exactly that.

The BBC had a study on the materials used for cabinets anf found that thicker is more difficult to dampen - this is in contrast to popular belief. (BBC RD1977/3 Factors in the design of loudspeaker cabinets)

I'll be making it of 12mm ply, this is the same thickness as the BBC LS3/5A.

edit: I do like the horizontal port for visual effect but the vertical port is better for horizontal dispersion and will be less affected by sitting on a table / shelf. Vertical port it will be :) .

AM

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PS

G L Auspurger mentioned that to supress resonances in a transmission line the speaker can be best placed 20% from the end (of the transmission line).

There is an offset in a line that suppresses the 1st undesirable harmonic. Where it is depends on the line taper.

There is a much more specific table in King's alignment table article.

dave

at the frequencies involved, dispersion is not something you consider. The horizontal port will couple better to any boundary it is 'near'. Given that a 3-4" usually needs as much help down low as possible, i'd be choosing that one.

dave

You are right. I was refilled 100 gram cotton to TABAQ original enclosure and prototype enclosure then re-compare both of them.

The original TABAQ sounds clean, bass won't muddy with midrange and it will get deeper.

Prototype sounds still bright and dynamic, but bass muddy and it won't get deeper bass.

Well, maybe i have to place port to other direction to aviod muddy bass.

AmadeusMozart said:

AM

About resistor dissipate the heat, i think vishay AC series resistor datasheet can explane this. You can download here.

At Page 6, AC05 pulse diagram show out when BSC circuit working at 0.00005 ti (20000Hz), resistor can hold up 1400W peak pulse power.

So i think it's enought for resistor to handling continuously playing at loud levels with vishay AC05 3.9R resistor.

If you use other resistor, you can check datasheet provided by manufacturing company to figure out resistor suitable for BSC circuit or not.

AmadeusMozart said:
The google 3D looks very good.

Thank you for reporting the results, I was expecting exactly that.

The BBC had a study on the materials used for cabinets anf found that thicker is more difficult to dampen - this is in contrast to popular belief. (BBC RD1977/3 Factors in the design of loudspeaker cabinets)

I'll be making it of 12mm ply, this is the same thickness as the BBC LS3/5A.

edit: I do like the horizontal port for visual effect but the vertical port is better for horizontal dispersion and will be less affected by sitting on a table / shelf. Vertical port it will be :) .

AM

When my prototype play music at loud level, enclosure has a little resonance. If you use 12mm plywood maybe will has more resonance than 18mm plywood, but lauan plywood is soft and flex.

Maybe you can use birch plywood or other harder plywood to build it.

PS

G L Auspurger mentioned that to supress resonances in a transmission line the speaker can be best placed 20% from the end (of the transmission line).

Kind regards, AM

Yes, but the driver position depends on the taper rate and mass loading. For instance, 15% works for an 8:1 reverse taper TL (Big at the closed end), 25% for a straight MLTL and 55% for a ML-TQWP.

Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Yes, but the driver position depends on the taper rate and mass loading. For instance, 15% works for an 8:1 reverse taper TL (Big at the closed end), 25% for a straight MLTL and 55% for a ML-TQWP.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks learned something new again.

Dave (planet 10)

do you know of anyone having a FE85 / FE103 Metronome on an elevated level ( e.g. on a desk) and what its performance would be?

PS I am looking for a "proven design" to use on my desk that has a relative small footprint and want to stay away from basreflex reasin being that the distortion in the bass region is wrecking havic with intelligibility of the spoken word - my wife has a hearing defect and we've tried all kinds of speakers and the only ones that she sofar has taken a liking to are Monitor Audio 10's. Bass reflex get rejected almost every time immediately.

Thanks, AM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bob,

do you know of anyone having a FE85 / FE103 Metronome on an elevated level ( e.g. on a desk) and what its performance would be?

PS I am looking for a "proven design" to use on my desk that has a relative small footprint and want to stay away from basreflex reasin being that the distortion in the bass region is wrecking havic with intelligibility of the spoken word - my wife has a hearing defect and we've tried all kinds of speakers and the only ones that she sofar has taken a liking to are Monitor Audio 10's. Bass reflex get rejected almost every time immediately.

FE85? I have notes for a small FF85 Met... but we never went ahead as Scott figured it would offer no advantages over the uFonken.

I'm not a big fan of typical BR enclosures. The entire miniOnken family are an attempt to get some of the advantages without all the disadvantages.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Instead of folding the TABAQ as done by the OP I wonder if it would not be better to fold it so that the pipe finishes up as a triangle. The port could be made vertically since there would be no space to do it horizontally. What are the thoughts by the learned members on this? :dunno:

(attachment is for an 8 inch TL from the early days of transmission lines)

Thanks, AM.

Attachments

• 8 inch TL.png
    8 inch TL.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,184
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.