TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2010, 01:52 PM   #1
yljhao is offline yljhao  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Default TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design

Hello everybody, i am a newbie from taiwan. Just join this big family few month ago.

I was buy a pair of Tangband W4-1320SB Speaker from online store.But i don't have a good enclosure design can install two speakers.
Then i searched internet and found TABAQ enclosure which design by Bjohannesen. It's a very good design, but it's too big for my room.
So i search this forum again and found some rules to change origional TABAQ design.
I follow these rule and MOD TABAQ to bookshelf size like Fig1, and entire structure like Fig2.

Click the image to open in full size.
Fig1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

Fig2 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure entire structure.

Is this design good to use? If not, how to MOD it? Did i miss anything else?

Sorry for my poor english.
Thank you read this thread and reply.
Old 2nd April 2010, 05:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default intriguing

Greetings!

I don't know if this would work or not, but I really like your take on the TABAQ. I'm currently building a couple of pairs as gifts for friends.

I'm intrigued by the size you've come up with here. Would this be as versatile as the tower TABAQ- as far as rolling drivers? Could this use the W3 speakers as well as the W4? Would it use the same BSC as the tower TABAQ? If so, I think I may have just found my brother's birthday gift.

It doesn't look like a lot of lumber. If your ambitious enough to follow this through, PLEASE keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know!

PS: Your english is just fine.
Old 3rd April 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvimhoof View Post
Greetings!

I don't know if this would work or not, but I really like your take on the TABAQ. I'm currently building a couple of pairs as gifts for friends.

I'm intrigued by the size you've come up with here. Would this be as versatile as the tower TABAQ- as far as rolling drivers? Could this use the W3 speakers as well as the W4? Would it use the same BSC as the tower TABAQ? If so, I think I may have just found my brother's birthday gift.

It doesn't look like a lot of lumber. If your ambitious enough to follow this through, PLEASE keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know!

PS: Your english is just fine.
I I haven't build this enclosure yet, so i am not sure this design will as good as origional TABAQ design.

I found some mistake on the design, the port cross section is not as same as origional cross section.
I will fix this mistake and update figure later.
Old 4th April 2010, 02:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yljhao View Post
I I haven't build this enclosure yet, so i am not sure this design will as good as origional TABAQ design.

I found some mistake on the design, the port cross section is not as same as origional cross section.
I will fix this mistake and update figure later.
Ok. I just fix the port height, from 16mm to 12.5mm, and fix front pannel and internal wood board, both adds 3.5mm height from origion tabaq bookshelf design to port fix tabaq bookshelf design.

Update two figure here.

Fig.1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design with fix port size draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

Fig.2 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure with fix port size entire structure.
Old 11th May 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Prototype

I was build a prototype for this cabinet design, which is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare with last design, i was fix internal compartment configuration and put the BSC circuit in this space.

The sound is great. Plywood bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design, but port size is very hard to cut. So i will modified the port again in my final design.

Fig1. Prototype cabinet.
Fig2. Internal compartment configuration.
Fig3. BSC Circuit.
Fig4. 2D Sketch.
Fig5. Mass Loaded Port.
Fig6. Compare with original TABAQ cabinet.
Old 12th May 2010, 03:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Nice work!

Looks like you've been busy! What driver did you use for your prototype? Does this version use the same BSC?
Old 13th May 2010, 01:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Fig1 TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design draw by Google 3D Sketchup.

Is this design good to use? If not, how to MOD it? Did i miss anything else?

Thank you posting your design. Looks good and I am thinking building the bookshelf version (no space for the tall version)

One change I would have made is make the filter accessible - if continuously playing at loud levels the resistor may not be able to dissipate the heat.

Let us know how it sounds (Do you have also the floorstanding TABAQ? How does it compare?)

AM
Old 13th May 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvimhoof View Post
Looks like you've been busy! What driver did you use for your prototype? Does this version use the same BSC?
Hi
I use TangBand W4-1320 driver and same BSC with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusMozart

Thank you posting your design. Looks good and I am thinking building the bookshelf version (no space for the tall version)

One change I would have made is make the filter accessible - if continuously playing at loud levels the resistor may not be able to dissipate the heat.

Let us know how it sounds (Do you have also the floorstanding TABAQ? How does it compare?)

AM
OK, I changed the enclosure design to let BSC space accessible.

My prototype is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare it with original TABAQ enclosure build by 18mm MDF, prototype bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design.

I just upload two designs to google 3D warehouse. One design sketch with vertical port and the other one with horizontal port. These designs has same port cross section and same port length.

Links:
1.Vertical port
2.Horizontal port

Best regards.
Old 14th May 2010, 02:21 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi
I use TangBand W4-1320 driver and same BSC with it.

OK, I changed the enclosure design to let BSC space accessible.

My prototype is making by 18mm lauan plywood. Compare it with original TABAQ enclosure build by 18mm MDF, prototype bring bass brighter, more dynamic and deeper than original design.

I just upload two designs to google 3D warehouse. One design sketch with vertical port and the other one with horizontal port. These designs has same port cross section and same port length.

Links:
1.Vertical port
2.Horizontal port

Best regards.
The google 3D looks very good.

Thank you for reporting the results, I was expecting exactly that.

The BBC had a study on the materials used for cabinets anf found that thicker is more difficult to dampen - this is in contrast to popular belief. (BBC RD1977/3 Factors in the design of loudspeaker cabinets)

I'll be making it of 12mm ply, this is the same thickness as the BBC LS3/5A.

edit: I do like the horizontal port for visual effect but the vertical port is better for horizontal dispersion and will be less affected by sitting on a table / shelf. Vertical port it will be :-) .

AM

Last edited by AmadeusMozart; 14th May 2010 at 02:24 AM. Reason: forgetting to mention one item
Old 14th May 2010, 02:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

PS

G L Auspurger mentioned that to supress resonances in a transmission line the speaker can be best placed 20% from the end (of the transmission line).

( http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technica...mped-Pipes.pdf )

Kind regards, AM

Hide this!Advertise here!