TABAQ bookshelf enclosure design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, interesting design.

I found out something important when I study Martin's worksheet explanation. When you folded the transmission line enclosure it will change cross section area bigger and Line length shorter than origional design. Maybe these two cause affect the bass. So i decide to buy Martin's worksheet to recaculate SPL curve.

Best regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
......When you folded the transmission line enclosure it will change cross section area bigger and Line length shorter than origional design.....

Thank you, very important information.

( When I experimented with TL 20 years ago I liked the triangular pipes since there is no reflection from the back panel. But now it turns out that folding a pipe will gives other results. )

I'll build the TABAQ as originally designed rather than experimenting and getting a result that is less than optimum. May move the speaker a bit nearer to the top and then hang the pipes upside down against the ceiling.

AM

Hi guys! I've been lurking here for quite some time, and would love to get this discussion started again...I am looking to build a low cost desktop/bookshelf speaker, and love the quality and simplicity inherent in the TABAQ theory. Designing a miniature TABAQ is a great idea, if we can effectively mimic the output of the original.

This is not TABAQ

Hi

This is my new design for TB w4-1320 with MJK's worksheet simultation.

SPL
attachment.php

Impedence
attachment.php

Baffle defraction SPL
attachment.php

series paralleled 6.8 ohm resistor and 1.5mH inductor
attachment.php

cabinet 2D sketch
attachment.php

3D sketch
attachment.php

Hope you will like it. :D
I will upload more information later.

Attachments

• screenshot.3.png
    screenshot.3.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,800
  • screenshot.4.png
    screenshot.4.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,730
  • screenshot.5.png
    screenshot.5.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,705
  • screenshot.6.png
    screenshot.6.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • tangband w4-1320 TLS.png
    tangband w4-1320 TLS.png
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,797
  • tangband w4-1320 TLS 2D Sketch.png
    tangband w4-1320 TLS 2D Sketch.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,951
Driver T/S parameters
attachment.php

Enclosure setting

attachment.php

BSD setting for desktop listening.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

BSC circuit setting

attachment.php

I just upload new designs to google 3D warehouse.
3D sketch links.
2D sketch links.

Attachments

• 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,723
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,744
  • 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,708
  • 5.PNG
    5.PNG
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,720
  • 6.PNG
    6.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,733
  • 8.PNG
    8.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,703
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Thanks for the updated version of the bookshelf system and all the hard work modeling it. Looks very good.

I have received my W4-1320 but have not build the Tabaq because I have just moved to a new house and need to finish that first. Then I need to do some more work on my 6l6GC SE amplifier before I can build the speakers.

How much damping material is being used (I can see where it goes) Am I correct in that polyfill damping material is used but how much in weight?

Many thanks
AM

Results should be essentially the same; the sections sheet has fewer simplifiying assumptions built in of course.

You can't enter different vent shapes in the MLTL sheet. Just take the radius of its total CSA; should be ~near enough, unless you're planning on employing an extreme aspect ratio, which none of the sheets account for anyway. That aside, the room will have far more of an impact on the response than the shape of the vent.

Thanks for the updated version of the bookshelf system and all the hard work modeling it. Looks very good.

I have received my W4-1320 but have not build the Tabaq because I have just moved to a new house and need to finish that first. Then I need to do some more work on my 6l6GC SE amplifier before I can build the speakers.

How much damping material is being used (I can see where it goes) Am I correct in that polyfill damping material is used but how much in weight?

Many thanks
AM

Weight of damping materials are 97g+25g. Bigger black block in 2D sketch used 97g, the other one used 25g.

Hi yljhao
I'm not so familiar with that MJK simulations, but looking your drawings it looks like MLTL design and you use section TL woorksheet for simulations.
Hope I'm not write, bur let speciallists to advice... (sims lookd prety fine) or may be even Martin could add some more light...

No, You are right. It's MLTL design. I will revise sketch's filename.

Last edited:
TABAQ bookshelf design simulation results.

I'm guessing since you took the design from the the intended 871S that this variation you have created would also work with the 871S? Thanks for the clarification!

I simulated Tabaq bookshelf design horizontal port Ver. and horizontal Ver. with these drivers.
1.Tang Band W4-1320
2.Tang Band W3-871
3.Tang Band W3-1878

I updated simulation on google doc.
Link

Hope you will like it. :)

Thanks for a nice thread and a very good instruction for how to build a Tabaq Mod. I built my pair this autumn and they sound very nice a lot like the original Tabaq but thanks to the smaller size there easier to handle. I published a building thread on the Swedish Hififorum, all text i in Swedish but lots of nice pictures. You find the thread here. :)

Thanks for a nice thread and a very good instruction for how to build a Tabaq Mod. I built my pair this autumn and they sound very nice a lot like the original Tabaq but thanks to the smaller size there easier to handle. I published a building thread on the Swedish Hififorum, all text i in Swedish but lots of nice pictures. You find the thread here. :)

Thank you for your reply and your thread. I already read it, Nice build. :)
Hope you will like this Mod. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.