Mpl

The Acoustic Resistance Frame with the Enviee and my EQ is linear phase.
The Step response shows a sharp rise and has a very wide " open time " of nearly 1.5mS.
That gives the ear ample time to focus on impulsive signals and " measure " 3 dimensional space if there is information on the recording. No multiple up and down going preasure events then in usual 2- or 3 - way systems.
There is no disturbance at " zero crossing " ( where presure goes through zero and then negative ), a problem that most boxed speakers have because the preasure from the membrane is bouncing back from the backwall.
In the longer time domain the Step response shows aperiodic behaviour. The preasure does not go positive again as in a reflex box. That comes from the gentle 6dB falling response of the frame and the low Qts of the driver. There is virtually no energy storage in the bass.
The rather flat group delay curve is just another view on the good time domain behavior. In simple words : all frequencies arive with the original timing.
I have seen a delay of more the 2mS @ 1kHz in so called " Reference Class " 3 way systems.

Here are the measurements :

Attachments

• DTZM step response open time 1,474mS.JPG
    DTZM step response open time 1,474mS.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 621
  • DTZM group delay.JPG
    DTZM group delay.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 601
The last plot is the distortion residuum after a spectral contamination test where the fundamental have being notched out. The residuum is then transfered to the time domain. This is the Gerhard Test. It amounts to plus-minus 200nP maximum.
You can listen to it when you open the ZIP file.

Attachments

• Wideband Driver Spectral Contamination fundamental notched time domain (2).zip
    210.2 KB · Views: 59
Great drivers are arriving at my door at an astounding pace recently. After the introduction of the
ring radiators 15 years ago not much happened for a long time. There where the Tymphany LAT that failed to be successful although it worked great. The Mundorf AMTS that have reached maturity but are based on an old principle.
Of cause there are the Thiel ceramic and diamond drivers.
that has chnaged and now we have a flow of really great designs :
The SB Satoris, the Thiel Cell ( more to come ), the Enviee 2013 that proves for me that a linear, high sensitivity, low distortion wide band driver can be made without compromising the frequency response even to the highest treble and now the new Scan Speak 13" subwoofer. It is so low in distortion that Holger Barske measured it and said that this is the best sub he knows.
Here are some pictures.
I will build a cardiod woofer for the Enviee with it and also a very special dipole sub-sub woofer for my listening room that should have a response from 5Hz to 18Hz.

Attachments

• scan sub 1.jpg
    scan sub 1.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 190
  • san sub 2.jpg
    san sub 2.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 178
  • scan sub 3.jpg
    scan sub 3.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 153
  • scan sub 4.jpg
    scan sub 4.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 169
This is what i am playing around with at the moment.
I build this to get a measure on the new Accuton Cell midrange.
That is not the easiest driver i encountered. I worked quite a bit on the crossover.
The woofer section is the LAT cardioid i talked about. The tweeter is a gift from Michael Böresen so both drivers are not a commercial reality.

Attachments

• Paul card 1.jpg
    Paul card 1.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 505
  • Paul card 2.jpg
    Paul card 2.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 485