Help a new guy with TL enclosure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help a new guy with TL enclosure

Hello,

I have been very tempted to build a set of tower speakers lately, but have pretty much no knowledge as to the design. So with that I started searching and found a design that I like quite a bit.

scoperta

I could simply copy it, but I want to do full range set up maybe with a Jordan JX92S.
Here comes the issue. I need to update the design for the JX92S.
Any help is appreciated.

Thank You
Old 1st March 2010, 10:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Or with the design should I stick with a two way set up?
Old 1st March 2010, 10:30 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Mercy! Don't those look nice!

Anyway, there's several popular designs around here for it as well as some new ones that are tuned a bit lower for rooms and/or speaker positions that yield enough gain down low, so do a forum search, there's a bunch of threads.

GM
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well I have done some work in Google Sketch so that when I need to make changes I can do easily. I will post the pic here so all can see. It is nothing special, but it took me a while as I am not a cad person of any type. So, any help with determining the changes one would need to make to go full range would be greatly appreciated. I am not dead set on the Jordan JX92S, but they seem like a good choose or maybe Fostex FX120 as many people seem to like them aswell. Well, I will have to see what I can come up with.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png speaker_enclosure.png (187.9 KB, 592 views)
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:07 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I much prefer the FX120 (which i like) to the JX92 (which i don't).

To get good results from the TL you will need to run the driver parameters thru Martin King's alignment tables (at least).

dave
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I much prefer the FX120 (which i like) to the JX92 (which i don't).

To get good results from the TL you will need to run the driver parameters thru Martin King's alignment tables (at least).

dave
I think there in lies the problem. I do not know much about the tables and how to use them. I have done some reading on it, but that is more math than I have looked at since cal 2 in collage. And then which one to use. I see at least 4 or 5 of them.
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:36 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I probably should have linked the page & not the document. There is also a download for a spreadsheet that does all the math for you.

Transmission Line Theory

dave
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default yup there is

i can second that. the Excel based spreadsheet, by Keith Webb, on the site is very easy to use, even for a novice.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alig...tor_3_3_09.xls

Hell i used it and ive never ventured into TL design before the present design im building!

some of the symbols used may seem meaningless unless you read at least SOME of MJK's write-ups:

ie. Dz = distance from closed end to driver centre

there may be others but i struggle to remember without it in front of me!

either way, theres plenty of people here that can help if you still require any, once youve got the spreadsheet calculator.

Good luck

Last edited by mondogenerator; 3rd March 2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: bloomin typos
Old 3rd March 2010, 01:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
i can second that. the Excel based spreadsheet, by Keith Webb, on the site is very easy to use, even for a novice.

http://www.quarter-wave.com/TLs/Alig...tor_3_3_09.xls

Hell i used it and ive never ventured into TL design before the present design im building!

some of the symbols used may seem meaningless unless you read at least SOME of MJK's write-ups:

ie. Dz = distance from closed end to driver centre

there may be others but i struggle to remember without it in front of me!

either way, theres plenty of people here that can help if you still require any, once youve got the spreadsheet calculator.

Good luck
I thank oyu all very much. I will sit down and run all the numbers tonight or tomarrow sometime and see what comes up. I did read a good bit of the papers that the previous guys link took me too and got some good info from it.

Again thanks
Old 4th March 2010, 02:21 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Have a question on where I am to get two values in required for the sheet.

For Fostex FX120:
Sd = ? I did some googling and came up with 66.5cm2, but have to clue if this is correct. The site PDF does not have the value.
BL = ? Not sure on this.

Any help on getting these values would be greatly appriciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!