Sachiko Builld Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finally managed to finish up my build today.

all glued up and set but no finish yet and so i didn't solder the drivers and the binding posts. wanted to listen to them though so just twisted the wire (single wire of cat6) around the driver and binding post terminals. terrible, i know, but i figured the sound would only improve once i had everything soldered together nicely. the amplification was whatever i could get my hands on, a cd/fm/tape player combo amplifier (again, it can only get better right?). speaker cable was 18ga. lamp wire (zip cord)

initial impressions were extremely positive, very clear and transparent. they image beautifully and disappear once you press play. i haven't damped the internal chamber yet, have some felt on hand but wanted to listen without it first. i did detect a little bit of shoutiness though,..a slight roughness in the upper mids. i think the solution to this is phase plugs...would lining the back chamber with felt help this?

what surprised me was that they handled rock and electronica without skipping a beat. what struck me was that the speakers were very rhythmic and had great timing. they sounded better as i moved further away, and i fear that i might lose out because my room will force me to be close-ish to them.

a big thanks to the designers..and to everyone for all the help... i think i might build another one for the living room!.

have put up some photos of the speakers as they looked today

cheers
mymindinside

Attachments

• Sachiko Build Photos - 20.jpg
    Sachiko Build Photos - 20.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 750
  • Sachiko Build Photos - 26.jpg
    Sachiko Build Photos - 26.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 740
  • Sachiko Build Photos - 28.jpg
    Sachiko Build Photos - 28.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 732
  • Sachiko Build Photos - 37.jpg
    Sachiko Build Photos - 37.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 713
  • Sachiko Build Photos - 33.jpg
    Sachiko Build Photos - 33.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 713
Very nice build!

In a design like this what is the max SPL of the speaker?

This is just a guess, but I'd think you would get about 96 db in 2 pi space within xmax. After that it would sound increasingly distorted but you could probably get at least 103 db (I don't know the xlim spec so it could be a lot more) before something breaks.

Last edited:
You'd need to go some to break Fostex units; suspension is progressive rate, so you'd likely fry the VC before sending the cones flying. Depends on listening distance, but in practice, figure on about 105dB 1m at Xmax, with plenty more if you're willing to accept a bit of compression (the 206 overloads fairly gracefully). Do yourself a favour though & don't try it on a regular basis. Over 85dB continuous causes hearing damage in the long term.

Last edited:
"Petite Audiophile" -

pit, is that the name of a speaker or is it a hifi magazine?

And speaking of which, do you happen to have access to Hobby HiFi back issues, specifically the 4/08 jericho 08 exotic and 1/09 fostex 138 es-r issues? I'm interested in reading them and have people who can translate German.

Our library has back issues of HiFi News and $tereophile if you're looking for anything in those mainstream publications. They actually send years of stereophile out to be bound! I also have a pile of Sound Practices, The Absolute Sound, Speaker Builder, Glass Audio and AudioExpress. LMK if you or anyone else is looking for something.

mp9, the magazine was "L´Audophile", the box was the 103Sigma in 28 liters BR - I sold some ten pairs to professors of our music academy.

Dave - I had to stop buying DIY HiFi mags ~2003 (lack of money), but both German mags back to first issue and the complete L´Audiophile...when needed (please only when you can´t get it elsewhere) I´m game.

Hi guys,
i have been enjoying the sweet sweet music playing from my sachikos for a few weeks now. i have just managed to take pictures though. i am listening to them through a firstwatt F2 clone that i have just completed.
i thought i would put up some pictures to share what they finally look like. the photos are of the speakers in my bedroom. i am totally happy with the sound, though i added 47 ohms in parallel with the speaker for a bit more damping. before i did this i felt that the bass lacked definition when used with the F2. i am using a cmoy headphone amp as the pre. this is a strictly temporary solution while i build/buy a proper pre.
a big thanks to everyone who helped; in this thread and in others.
cheers,
mymindinside

Attachments

• Sachiko-3.jpg
    Sachiko-3.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 592
  • Sachiko-2.jpg
    Sachiko-2.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 622
  • Sachiko-1.jpg
    Sachiko-1.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 624
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.