Fonken cut list and damping material question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you're really cheap (thrifty), you can raid old speaker boxes for felt. There was quite a bit in an old pair of Sansui's I found at a garage sale.

Jeff

Jeff, the word is "frugael" :) - if one is lucky, years worth of projects can be engineered around recycled materials, but eventually the local supplies will dry up.

the 1/2" Ultratouch insulation is very easy to work with - cuts like a dream, and the bonded fabric backing material keeps it from falling apart and it glues very easily with Weldbond

Jeff, the word is "frugael" :) - if one is lucky, years worth of projects can be engineered around recycled materials, but eventually the local supplies will dry up.

the 1/2" Ultratouch insulation is very easy to work with - cuts like a dream, and the bonded fabric backing material keeps it from falling apart and it glues very easily with Weldbond

Is that the same as: http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm for us in the States. Also how you achieve a 1/2" sheet, is it just split from thicker sheets, as you mention 3.5" to 8" widths available, just like Bonded Logic's Ultra-Touch Insulation.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is that the same as: http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm for us in the States. Also how you achieve a 1/2" sheet, is it just split from thicker sheets, as you mention 3.5" to 8" widths available, just like Bonded Logic's Ultra-Touch Insulation.

Yes, that is what we use. They make a 1/2" version that is denser than the thicker stuff.

Minimum quantity is a roll -- ~400 ft^2 (ie 100 ft long roll -- enuff to stuff about 200 uFonken). This is why i usually point people at Bob. He bought a roll (and i got a significant portion of that for our use) and is selling much smaller quantities -- quantities suitable for diy speakers.

dave

If you're really cheap (thrifty), you can raid old speaker boxes for felt. There was quite a bit in an old pair of Sansui's I found at a garage sale.

Jeff
My wife yelled at me for doing that the other day. Before tossing a pair of speakers I found in my parent's basement i grabbed the fiberglass fill and put it in a bag. She looked at me funny and I said "What? This stuff is valuable." :no:

Yes, that is what we use. They make a 1/2" version that is denser than the thicker stuff.

Minimum quantity is a roll -- ~400 ft^2 (ie 100 ft long roll -- enuff to stuff about 200 uFonken). This is why i usually point people at Bob. He bought a roll (and i got a significant portion of that for our use) and is selling much smaller quantities -- quantities suitable for diy speakers.

dave

Is the 1/2" stuff the radiant barrier that comes with a aluminum foil backing, actually 3/8" thick.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.