Tang Band W8-1772 Impressions.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I have the Tang Band W8-1772 assembled in sealed boxes of 8 Liters. I am using the woofers of my 3 ways floorstand speakers to reproduce the bass. The idea is to breaking in listening movies, music, and then start with the project.
After 10 hours of listening they are detailed with good dinamics. Tweeter seem not be needed. I will do more hours and write my impressions. So far I like them.
The mid/highs, sometimes seems to be a little agressive or forward, this is because they need more break in, or, it needs A LR o other kind of filter? Thx

Thank you Bob
Having a DSP active filter, I would have the same effect ?
Because I am thinking to add a second way for bass woofers and managing the woofer and the FR with the MiniDsp.

You will need some sort of filter to fix the rising FR. A L||R filter is an easy fix, components chosen for the onset of the baffle step and where you want the highs to start cutting.

Bob

.....Having a DSP active filter, I would have the same effect ?.

Indeed it would, and this is my preferred solution. It is much easier to get the desired response with DSP. I do not have passive components in any of my personal speakers. Of course, I have to put filters in my commercial products simply because most of my customers don't have anything digital is the chain except reluctantly a CD player.

Bob

Some folks have reported a difference using a zobel. Personally, a cobbled together (unoptimized) zobel seemed to demonstrate some benefit with a W8-1772 in a double bass reflex , though I can't compare with other solutions.

A zobel becomes a frequency dependent voltage divider if there is significant resistance upstream. A BSC provides this resistance. Therefore the zobel has the effect of reducing the top end. I use an R=C filter from time to time to do this, but the values are only vaguely representative of what you would expect for a zobel. I choose the values here to get the desired FR, not to flatten the impedance trace.

BTW You can get similar results by putting an other L||R filter downstream of the BSC filter.

BWT2 If your driver is weak at the top rather than hot, you can bypass the BSC filter with a capacitor creating a low Q notch filter. Whatever it takes!

Bob

Thank you for your confirmation.
The speakers are running for 10 hours now, and I listen more an more details coming, and less and less agressivity. This is expected, or, it is my subjective impressions ? How many hours to says that they did the full break in ? Thx again

Indeed it would, and this is my preferred solution. It is much easier to get the desired response with DSP. I do not have passive components in any of my personal speakers. Of course, I have to put filters in my commercial products simply because most of my customers don't have anything digital is the chain except reluctantly a CD player.

Bob

Tose are more reasonable prices. I see the same pric applies to the 1808 which i prefer. I note that the pictures are out-of-date (at least compared to the most recent ones i got)

dave

Dave,

What do the more recent pics look like? Also, why do you like the 1808 better? I read its more suited to OB applications and the 1772 to ported and more traditional styles (like Bob's cabinet for them). Curious to your thoughts for this Newb as I've been kicking around between these and the MA ALPAIR12's in SuperPensil's lately ...

Thanks!

Scott

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The 1808 sounds better. New ones have the ring of no magnets finished in black and fir & finish is a bit better.

They aren't, IMO, near as good as the A12. And don't let the efficiency figures sway you. The TBs are a couple dB optimistic, and althou the MA numbers jive with what i measure, people seem to be very happy with amps smaller than you would ever suggest based on the numbers -- possibly due to the greater downward dynamic range.

I am goning to do one of my "miniOnken" for the 1808 (as much a statement of my preference of this version), it looks like it is going to be 100 litres, not exactly mini. Ther has been a lot of requests for an 8" version of my peculiar box variation.

dave

The 1808 sounds better. New ones have the ring of no magnets finished in black and fir & finish is a bit better.

They aren't, IMO, near as good as the A12. And don't let the efficiency figures sway you. The TBs are a couple dB optimistic, and althou the MA numbers jive with what i measure, people seem to be very happy with amps smaller than you would ever suggest based on the numbers -- possibly due to the greater downward dynamic range.

I am goning to do one of my "miniOnken" for the 1808 (as much a statement of my preference of this version), it looks like it is going to be 100 litres, not exactly mini. Ther has been a lot of requests for an 8" version of my peculiar box variation.

dave

Dave,

Thanks for the insight! Do you think the 1772/1808 play louder than the A12? Not that I rock out all the time, but on occasion I do like to get the groove going :) I will be augmenting the bass with a sealed 10" sub when I want lots of bass and they'll be crossed at 80hz which will help but more often than not I'll be running full range ...

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.