microTower bipolar ML-TL for CHR-70 or EL70 - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 05:23 PM   #451
diyAudio Member

Merry Christmas Guys

I trimmed the sides and added the vents/feet to the case. The vent jig worked a treat.

Click the image to open in full size.

I've just hooked them up again but its pretty much the same, maybe slightly better. I cant think of anything else...well apart from an air leak. I'll have another go during the hols and report back.

Have a good time!
Old 24th December 2011, 09:31 PM   #452
diyAudio Member

Hey! Isn't that one of mine in the background?

Bob
Old 24th December 2011, 11:37 PM   #453
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tripmaster, et al...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all. Else Happy Holidays if you prefer (Hannukah, Kwanzaa, or whatever else is your holiday this time of year).

Tripmaster: Besides the steps that you have already suggested or have agreed could be done, please paint the inside of your enclosure. One of the most convenient and quickest methods to help seal "leaky" (as in MDF, HDF , chip board and regular plywood) enclosures. If you used an open cell type foam for the gasket(s) replace them with something more like compressed EVA material. Not sure how readily available it is, but I am sure it must be available as a tape or similar someplace.

But tonight just forget about it all and enjoy the evening.
Old 25th December 2011, 03:00 AM   #454
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob
Are you putting 'doughnut' rings on them now?

GM
Old 25th December 2011, 08:58 AM   #455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post

Bob
Might be
Old 25th December 2011, 09:01 AM   #456
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Are you putting 'doughnut' rings on them now?

GM
Those are to stop the pesky 3 and 5 yr old fingers!
Old 25th December 2011, 09:07 AM   #457
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Merry Christmas and a Happy New year to all. Else Happy Holidays if you prefer (Hannukah, Kwanzaa, or whatever else is your holiday this time of year).

Tripmaster: Besides the steps that you have already suggested or have agreed could be done, please paint the inside of your enclosure. One of the most convenient and quickest methods to help seal "leaky" (as in MDF, HDF , chip board and regular plywood) enclosures. If you used an open cell type foam for the gasket(s) replace them with something more like compressed EVA material. Not sure how readily available it is, but I am sure it must be available as a tape or similar someplace.

Will do. I will leave the painting as a last resort as its will get a bit messy ripping out the stuffing. The seal is made of rubber, rather than spongy foam. I will hunt out the packaging and check the material.

...anyway, I think another mince pie is in order!

Have a good day!
Old 26th December 2011, 06:06 PM   #458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

Hi Nanook

I hope you had a good Christmas.

I have a tub of PVA that is a few years old, and I prefer using other brands now. As I will need to reattached the lining to the cabinet sides, how about mixing up a thinned PVA solution, paint the inside and reattach the wadding...kills two birds with one stone I guess.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:35 PM   #459
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default thinned PVA...

Tripmaster:Thanks for the X-mas wishes. I can't imagine why it would not work if you are willing to pull out the stuffing. This is one of my pet peaves. MDF chipboard and even HDF "chuff". I don't wan to start another pro BB ply thread or hijack this one. Either do as you suggested or paint the interior of the enclosure using a spray can, either one will be an improvement and(I think) will be enough to improve your enclosures.

Happy New Year to all
Old 6th February 2012, 11:59 PM   #460
diyAudio Member

Default Room placement question

I will be moving to a new apartment in a couple of months and am starting to think about the placement of my castle microTowers. Obviously, I'll have to wait until I get there are start to play with the exact placement but I am somewhat constrained as to where they can go.

Below is a floor plan that shows the approximate relationship of the speakers (red dots) to the sofa (brown rectangle). The small blue rectangle is a radiator. The dark red rectangle is my source/amp table. The room is 14' wide and has an 11' ceiling. I won't be able to spread the speakers out more than 8 -9' apart because the dining table, etc need to live in the other part of the room.

My question is - how far out from the wall can I bring the castles before I start losing/defeating the effect of the top speaker? Is 18" too much or is this so room dependent that I'll just have to wait until I get everything in place? I have a small sub woofer to fill the bottom end if needed so I am less worried about bass than detail, sound stage, and overall imaging.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by bobtrancho; 7th February 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!