Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2010, 03:33 PM   #581
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanElsdon View Post
One of the problems I have found with mounting the Alpair10s and would seem to be a problem with the CHR70s is the lack of material into which to bolt the drive units - this is a problem especially with MDF.
As well as being addressed by an aluminum subbaffle (something we will try eventually (drivers mounted from rear), you can also do as per the suggestion in the EL70 dimensions document.

You could also just avoid MDF. Another discussion on that subject.

dave
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:52 PM   #582
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
As well as being addressed by an aluminum subbaffle (something we will try eventually (drivers mounted from rear), you can also do as per the suggestion in the EL70 dimensions document.

You could also just avoid MDF. Another discussion on that subject.

dave
The Jaguars are the first speakers I have built using MDF (and probably the last). I like the idea in the first link - obvious when you see it!

Since the Jaguars are already made I will modify them for the ally sub-baffle, but for the Maeshowes I will revert to birch-ply and use the indentation method advised.

Thanks

Alan
Old 23rd July 2010, 03:56 PM   #583
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanElsdon View Post
but for the Maeshowes
We have Maeshowe at the veneer stage. Aesthetics are awesome.

dave
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:06 PM   #584
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave
I have just found someone in the same town as me who makes and supplies veneers so hopefully this weekend I will having a look at what he has - and learn how to veneer - my first attempts were awful - so I will proctice on the left over MDF!!
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:29 PM   #585
diyAudio Member

AlanElsdon any pic of the jaguars? also some more listening impressions? i will eventualy start the construction this summer, i got the driver many many months ago but then been to busy with work to to the wood thing...
Old 23rd July 2010, 04:46 PM   #586
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by human.bin View Post
AlanElsdon any pic of the jaguars? also some more listening impressions? i will eventualy start the construction this summer, i got the driver many many months ago but then been to busy with work to to the wood thing...
No photos at this moment - but I will get the camera out now and take some - pleae note that thay are nude i.e. bare MDF.

The sound? Well initially I would compare to nails on a blackboard! I think that everyone should have a small soundproof room where new bits of kit can be placed to be run in - and only them listened to!

A week in I have to say that I am liking them more and more - the top-end could be a bit brighter (but not much), the mid-band is begining to open up and sound very promising. The bottom end is, at the moment, a little over-blown - again not much - but I have not yet tried any damping in the vents. I cannot compare them directly to my main speakers (Gedlee Abbeys) as they are being stripped prior to either painting or veneering, but in a month or two I should be able to do so.

I have just realised that this is some-way off topic so I will send you the photos and later comparisons and not post here.
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:27 PM   #587
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

dave

progress on these has been slightly delayed due a minor back injury (mine) and scheduling conflict with CNC for production of elliptical MDF supra-baffles for 4 pairs of drivers with which we want to experiment in these boxes

but they certainly are cute even at this stage
Old 25th July 2010, 03:42 PM   #588
diyAudio Member

^I can confirm how much of a delay not having the CNC for making elliptical baffles would be. I've been working on a larger set for a few weeks now trying to get them right. It's not easy doing it by hand!
Old 25th July 2010, 03:47 PM   #589
diyAudio Member

Oh, and I've been delinquent on posting pictures of my results...no more

(excuse the camera phone quality please)

On their own.
Click the image to open in full size.

At home with their brothers.
Click the image to open in full size.

Sound from these is quite good but response depends largely on the room I believe. It was my sisters' birthday this month so I decided that after I built and tested them I'd give them to her. Listening in my larger room yielded very smooth sound with extremely limited bottom end. However, in my sisters' smaller room these were exceptional.
Old 14th August 2010, 01:52 PM   #590
diyAudio Member

Default Henkjan's Black Beauty

Hi,

I have almost finished some of Henkjan's Black Beauty with Markaudio CHR 70 in copper.

I build it from flooring panels [MDF with 2.5mm Solid Black Walnut]
works great. The front will be 25mm Solid Black Walnut]
The Backside is black MDF.

Klaus

Bild 1

Bild 2

Bild 2

Hide this!Advertise here!