Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread - Page 51 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2010, 04:31 PM   #501
diyAudio Member

OK I'll have to appologize for my lack of input here but I've been busy with life.... Pics and review still to come folks I promise....
Old 5th May 2010, 04:56 PM   #502
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakrsrfun View Post
OK I'll have to appologize for my lack of input here but I've been busy with life.... Pics and review still to come folks I promise....

don't apologize for having a life with which to get busy - enjoy it while you can
Old 6th May 2010, 10:23 PM   #503
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default please don't apologize...

er, I thought life was the big deal...audio is but a nice little diversion
Old 6th May 2010, 11:14 PM   #504
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

er, I thought life was the big deal...audio is but a nice little diversion

I can say from first-hand experience that the resistive Onken-style cabinets are very good. I've spent perhaps a total of 2 years listening to a few of Dave's designs.(they are all very good), but the Onken styles are best (methinks). Here's a really simple experiment for any that feel that resistive vents are but a fantasy: If you have a pair of typical Bass Reflex enclosures with suitable drivers in them (commercial or DIY), get em out of storage or wherever you have them and put them into the best system you have access to. Play music that you love (and know well), preferably acoustical but electric blues/jazz, etc is good too (full orchestral pieces can be used too, if not too complex).

Listen at a reasonable level, just don't overdrive the speakers, for at least a couple of songs to re-accustom your ears to the sound. Now get ye a handful of drinking straws and bind a them together with an elastic band. Cut them to the length of the ports or slightly longer. Stuff them into the ports of the loudspeakers. Listen again, without changing anything else (including the volume control). If subjectively the level seems lower, then overall the distortions have been reduced. This suggests a reduction in bass distortion, and more accurate bass. It'll cost ya about 50˘for the whole "experiment. You be the judge.

This is what the Onken style cabinets can do (and aperiodic designs as well). It would be instructive to overlay a frequency sweep below, say, 1K, in a BR, a "stuffed vent BR, and an Onken enclosure, everything else being equal (within reason), and an aperiodic. (I have no testing equipment except what is between my ears). just a couple of thoughts.

Last edited by Nanook; 6th May 2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: removal of asterixed text.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:46 PM   #505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

..... Now get ye a handful of drinking straws and bind a them together with an elastic band. Cut them to the length of the ports or slightly longer. Stuff them into the ports of the loudspeakers. Listen again, without changing anything else......
I wonder what this effect this would have in the Metronome?

Another item I wonder about with the Metronome is what effect padding the base plate (holding the port) with damping material would have....

I am also wondering what the effect would be that instead of having a pipe (round port) of a determined length to have a pipe that has a Karlson slot from 1/4 of the end to the end. The length will need to be increased to where the "center" of the exponential opening area is at the same location as a normal port would finish.

Just musing about possibilities to improve the Metronome.

(build Karlsons in the past and found them very forgiving about different resonance frequencies in the different speakers)

AM
Old 7th May 2010, 10:56 PM   #506
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I have always used four small ports, sized to be effective with just the wood thickness as their length. You can use Bass Box Pro to model this, and I assume other programs also. By ear/sight, place a small bit of fluff in one of the four holes and tap the woofer, if it flies out you are just about perfect. I do have a set of stepped drills (both letters and numbers) for this purpose, among many others.

Bud
Old 22nd May 2010, 05:14 PM   #507
diyAudio Member

Drumroll please.....

The dMar-Ken70's are finally making music.

In brief: they're pretty nice.

Defining characteristics: Heaps more bass than you'd expect, and a nice extended top end. In this cabinet, the CHR-70 is very nearly a "full range" driver.

Oh, and for all that they're low efficiency, they play plenty loud enough - I've been testing with a 15W Class-T amp. I think we sometimes forget that 90dB is actually pretty loud.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22052010(002).jpg (47.3 KB, 949 views)
Old 22nd May 2010, 07:43 PM   #508
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

When you get a chance, send me some big pictures to post.

Is that a MacBook posing with the coffee cup?

Our dMar-Ken7 are playing (A7s are still stock, Chris has them ATM), the dMar-Ken70 await veneer and a set of the CHR Mk2.

If i feel these work out (an so far all the reports indicate they will), i'm thinking of a variation made of Blanda Bowls.

dave
Old 23rd May 2010, 03:17 AM   #509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Is that a MacBook posing with the coffee cup?
For shame, Dave, it's a TEA cup.

The Mac (as well as the speakers, once they're finished) belong to my girlfriend - I can pose my sister's MacBook for the bigger shots if you think my Dell might spoil it :P

(incidentally, Apple's habit of turning off the integrated sound card to save power is really repulsive - you hit pause and all is silent, then it starts to hum. Then you hit play and it produces an almighty POP! when it switches back on. Not exactly ideal, that.)

I'll charge up the real camera to grab some better shots later - they're still pretty rough, nailgun pockmarks everywhere - and 3 of the 4 chamfers show a brad sliced in half by the circular saw. But that'll mostly clean up once they're filled, sanded and painted.

EDIT: Oh, and do let us know how the dMar-Ken7's compare to the 70's once you have them both playing.

I'm still really impressed by these - the same comments I made back when I was playing them bare still apply. Voices are stunning, imaging is quite remarkable. The only difference is an improvement - they have ample bass, and seeing these little cones swing 4mm whilst playing (quite sucessfully) the infamous TR-808 kick drum sample is hilarious.

Oh, and they can do rock surprisingly well - they never sound strained at lounge room volumes. They're never going to give "the concert experience", but I could live quite happily with these as my only speakers - unfortunately, they're going away, to join the shiny new computer I built, and the DAC that I built, and the amp that I haven't built yet. Why can't I afford to build all these nice things for myself?

Last edited by TheSeekerr; 23rd May 2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 23rd May 2010, 04:20 AM   #510
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeekerr View Post
The Mac (as well as the speakers, once they're finished) belong to my girlfriend - I can pose my sister's MacBook for the bigger shots if you think my Dell might spoil it :P
The Dell would spoil it.

Quote:
(incidentally, Apple's habit of turning off the integrated sound card to save power is really repulsive - you hit pause and all is silent, then it starts to hum. Then you hit play and it produces an almighty POP! when it switches back on. Not exactly ideal, that.)
I've never run into that. But then i've not been able to afford an Intel Mac yet, and i almost always use an external DAC (firewire, but i have a USB backup)

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, and do let us know how the dMar-Ken7's compare to the 70's once you have them both playing.
You can be sure i will.

Quote:
They're never going to give "the concert experience"
Adding a pair of helper woofers goes a lomg ways

Quote:
I could live quite happily with these as my only speakers - unfortunately, they're going away, to join the shiny new computer I built, and the DAC that I built, and the amp that I haven't built yet. Why can't I afford to build all these nice things for myself?
Make sure you make a profit on each one...

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!