Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2009, 10:23 AM   #191
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

big impact apparently... did you guys do some measurements as well?

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek

These are transformed into a completely new and different driver, easily sounding like ones worth a HECKUVA lot more.

<IMO>

The downward dynamic range is brought up to Fostex levels and the soundstage gets a hundred feet added to it.

When I first heard the En process, when Bud switched between them, I described it as "turning the recording from the mono to stereo position". In no other speaker have I heard such a dramatic change with the En process as I did this week with the CHR's.

The top end is cleared up spectacular as well. Sonics wise, it was like in a 2-way, swapping a paper cone tweet to a ribbon. BUT... It's not harsh. It just gets that much more clear and well defined.

We listened to some more delicate female vocals and I could not hear their breath with the non-En. I could quite easily with the En version.

</IMO>

Cheers!
Old 7th June 2009, 10:29 AM   #192
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I was going to ask the same question, but was afraid I would get an answer like :

"the improvement is not measurable but you just have to listen to it... "

or something like that.

Patrick
Old 7th June 2009, 03:43 PM   #193
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Henkjan
big impact apparently... did you guys do some measurements as well?
No measures yet. We always listen 1st. To be meaningful we'd need before and after. Frankly i don't need to see them.

And the measures i do, won't be as useful as the ones Mark Fenlon does after i send his set back to him.

If they can figure this out, it may help with meauring these.

How is HOM measured?

dave
Old 2nd July 2009, 05:27 AM   #194
diyAudio Member

Just a quick update on my DCR and my listening system.

First, I finally pulled out the screwdriver and added some more acousta-stuff to the driver chamber. I added "a hand full" in each speaker with half going in the upper corner opposite the inter-chamber port and the other half in the corner opposite that. The improvement was all tonal in the bottom 3 octaves (50-400Hz). It sounds a little more balanced and less strained. I don't think it would be necessary if they were away from the wall or I was able to sit further away.

I finally got the optical digital cable for output from my computer and a PS Audio SL Three is handling the conversion duties. As much as the CD player was an improvement over my audio out from the computer, this is over the CD player. Even listening to a KEXP podcast of Steve Earle, which only 192kbps, sounded fantastic. I still find it hard to fathom that these inexpensive drivers are still not the limiting factor.

I was able to do a little A/B with my NAD C520 player with and without the PS Audio. The PS Audio adds dynamics to the upper midrange and upper midbass regions, and heft and sharpness to the bass. Alone, the NAD is a nice sounding player. The differences are not something you would have identified as missing. But with the PS Audio, it's definitely good to have.

Next on my list is EnABL'ing and doing a FAST. Right now I'm liking the CCS Trio8 and the SEAS L22, although the Dayton RSS265HF has some possibilities.
Old 2nd July 2009, 12:49 PM   #195
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

any real world sensitivity of the speaker?

considering driving it with t-amp clone.

gychang
Old 2nd July 2009, 01:09 PM   #196
diyAudio Member

Those huge Lotus BVR's I made are driven with a sonic impact T amp. It's plenty of power for them to get very loud, trust me.
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:27 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

I can support that they do get loud. I have been told several times to turn it down by my wife who was down stairs. And given it's the low frequencies that transmit best through walls and floors, I can also attest to it's ~45Hz capabilities.

You're not going to chase anyone out of the room because of the volume but they will fill a 15x15 room fairly well.
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:11 PM   #198
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HareBrained
I can support that they do get loud. I have been told several times to turn it down by my wife who was down stairs. And given it's the low frequencies that transmit best through walls and floors, I can also attest to it's ~45Hz capabilities.

You're not going to chase anyone out of the room because of the volume but they will fill a 15x15 room fairly well.

thanks, now have to decide on the cabinet style....

gychang
Old 3rd July 2009, 04:14 AM   #199
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

thanks, now have to decide on the cabinet style....

gychang

me thinks there will soon be almost too many from which to choose - I know we've got a few underway or on the drawing board
Old 3rd July 2009, 05:09 AM   #200
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisb
- I know we've got a few underway or on the drawing board
At least 4 - and that is before you consider "variations on a theme"

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!