Greenhorn Curvy Chang Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. Can someone tell me if I should double up on the damping for the back of cabinet. I have some really nice 12 mm 100% Swaledale wool felt for the job. I know Scottmoose recommends covering 3 sides but can't remember if he said more behind the driver.

Thanks.

HI. Well I've managed to get the brace and felt ready to glue in today. The brace was guite labour intensive as it took a lot of sanding to fit. The next one should be easier as I will cut it a bit smaller. Hope the holes are ok , I thought bigger would be good for air flow.

Attachments

• ccb01.jpg
    ccb01.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 721
dry fit of brace with driver cut-out and felt. I have left a 30mm gap around the vents with the felt , is that ok? I didn't want to get to close. Next up are the binding posts. I will be using Cat5
but I'm unsure how many single runs I should use. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ccb06.jpg
    ccb06.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 642
Combining all the conductors (8) in one cat-5 results in a conductor equivalent to 14 ga. Use two cat-5 minimum.
Consider combining all the solids into one conductor and the stripes into the other.
For longer runs, I suggest a tri-braid of cat-5 and still segregate the solids from the stripes.

Only for purposes of braid illustration:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ed LaFontaine said:
Use two cat-5 minimum.

We use the minimum... one pair of strands (ie 24g, use the same colour for both speakers, the twist is not the same -- leaves you enuff from a single piece of CAT5 for 3 more pair of speakers)... any less and the electrons wouldn't find their way to the speaker. Solid is better than stranded.

dave

The reason that a single pair of CAT5 wire works is that with a 90+dB/w/m full ranger, you are running at less than 1 watt average. The ohmic drop in the wire is probably less than the drop in the connectors. You are not trying to push 1000 watts through a sub.

Again I say you need to build a set of cables from 16ga zip cord to use as a standard. If you really are suffering from ohmic loss in the CAT5, you will hear a loss of bass. I bet you won't.

Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.