Saburo's Vs. DTB - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2008, 06:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Saburo's Vs. DTB

It's Christmas, I like traditional Christmas's so not being one to break with tradition I thought I'd do another build over the Christmas holidays... 2006 was WD88VA. 2007 was the MLTL's and this year it's a pair of Saburo's.

This has come about because a) I like building things b) Any foole knows 4" FR drivers are the best thing ever (!) c) I have some leave d) I'm an anti-social bugger specially over Christmas... e) Scott bought a pair to an Eggborough Fest and I'd never heard anything sound quite like them, all that music coming from that funny little driver....getawaywithya

Anyway, after months of planning and deliberating I've finally got all the wood cut today.

Oooooo...enough wood to make a pair of Sab's...
Click the image to open in full size.

The nerve centre...

....and until I make a start (very soon) it'll all stay clamped to try and reduce warping the freshly cut yummy 18mm BP.

More silly pics and posts as they're made, well, it's a tradition innit :wink:

DTB
Old 20th December 2008, 06:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice one Dave. Keep us up to date (not that I reckon you'll need any encouragement.

I'm envious of your workspace.
Old 20th December 2008, 06:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Nice one Dave. Keep us up to date (not that I reckon you'll need any encouragement.

I'm envious of your workspace.

It's just a shed Scott, a not very tall one though...as I found out trying to manhandle 6ft lengths of ply in it today.

Expect your PM box to be filled with questions this Christmas matey! Talking of which, I've a question already. Directly behind the driver on the back wall of the cabinet is an angled piece that appears to deflect sound into either of the 2 horn chamber thingys (techtalk). Any dimensions on that?

And secondly, cabinet damping, woolfelt?... and if so how much and where?

Thanks for inspiring me again Scott,

All the best

DTB
Old 20th December 2008, 07:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Trust me, it's more than I've got mate.

Triangular deflector / splitter = 1 1/4in tall x 1 1/4in deep.

Very little damping should be needed. Top, one side & rear of the filter chamber (not blocking the throat, obviously... ) with 1/2in wool felt & that should be it. The folding works with the chamber to filter off everything over ~290Hz.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Trust me, it's more than I've got mate.

Triangular deflector / splitter = 1 1/4in tall x 1 1/4in deep.

Very little damping should be needed. Top, one side & rear of the filter chamber (not blocking the throat, obviously... ) with 1/2in wool felt & that should be it. The folding works with the chamber to filter off everything over ~290Hz.
What part is the 'filter chamber' Boss? Sorry for all the questions.

DTB
Old 20th December 2008, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You are going to love them. I now have over 100 hours on mine with Dave Planet-10 126eN's. They are incredible......I have not been able to stop listening to them long enough to write a proper review (which I promised Dave I would do). Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 20th December 2008, 07:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's the chamber the driver is mounted in.
Old 20th December 2008, 09:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsinthestix
You are going to love them. I now have over 100 hours on mine with Dave Planet-10 126eN's. They are incredible......I have not been able to stop listening to them long enough to write a proper review (which I promised Dave I would do). Keep us posted on your progress.
Yup, I heard Scotts a few years ago and it was the first time I'd ever heard a single FR driver in a bigish cab, I was gobsmacked. I know what to expect I've done 100's of hours with the Fonkens and I only built them about 6 months ago. DaveD's 127eN's in those, lovely. We even take them on holiday with us, we listen to a lot of music in our house.

Quote:
It's the chamber the driver is mounted in.
Cheers Scott.

DTB
Old 20th December 2008, 09:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

No worries pal.

Quote:
I know what to expect
If you're going on the MK1 Harvey's I brought to the last Eggfest a couple of years back, I think you're going to be in for a surprise...
Old 21st December 2008, 08:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think you're going to be in for a surprise...
Yes they could've been the Harvey's. A fetching shade of greeny/blue I seem to remember, I was still wet behind the ears at that first Eggfest (still am a bit!!) .....oh....so they're gonna be crap then..... !!!

DTB

Hide this!Advertise here!