Sealed enclosure for SEAS Exotic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fostex fe138esr SEAS exotic

I have both of these drivers in proper cabinets the fe138esr is a very good driver but not = to the exotic. The fe138esr does better with low power tube amps. Fe138esr images very well but if used on SS can sound a wee bit hard. The SEAS exotic is smooth detailed images wonderfully. But doesn't do well on less than 5 watts. But for 1/2 the cost the fe138esr shouldn't be passed by its a great driver. I have tried both on OB. Best in cabinet but YMMV.

Hi all: (esp: Sclalars, rcdaniel, 'Zilla', Nelson Pass, Scottmoose)....you know, I continually learn so much from you guys..and this thread again has confirmed that I have so much more to learn. I am currently building: a pair of BiB for Fostex FE167E, a pair of KimChi Changs for a locally made 6.5 inch full range...(although this could change and end up as a pair of bob Brine's FT's or Martin King's ML TQWT's).....because I couldn't decide between either: and now damn it, I reckon I want to attempt a pair of Seas Exotic in Sclalars type of cabinets! Although, there is no way that I could build anything as good as that...hence my use of bad language! So now it is not just the cost of the Seas exotic, but I need to add a decent saw bench, a thickneser, bench plane would be good etc etc etc.........
I built a pair of Andy G's pipes before I had heard of any of you guys and your work. I have cut, hacked and torn, remodeled kicked and spat, rebuilt the crossover about 10 times and in the end I reefed the Vifa drivers out and went the hack on a pair of AAD bookesheld speakers that weren't being used (and really, deserved a better end than what they got!) and fitted them into the 'pipes' and voila!! Great sound! But it still has a crossover, has too large an openning at the bottom and the angled floor baffle does funny things to the bass... and they're not sensitive enough!!.....but at least that has slowed me down in building a SET amp!...now that's in another section....???!! But when the Bib is complete.....................
Thanks for your wisdom and insights guys! (and sorry for all the emails to a few of you as I tried to work out what the heck to build!!!)

F4 Seas Exotic

Hello Dcathro:
Mmmmm. I see you have a pair of F4 Seas Exotic you are willing to sell. I am certainly almost keen.....my dilemma is knowing exactly what to put them in to get the best out of them, as this thread notes....and has not resolved... AND, whether this will suit my listening appreciation! Single drivers present options, but also difficulties which I have not totally overcome; far less, resolved! I have committed funds elsewhere as a final "fling" with such drivers (A.N. Cast 10 inch) and I am not sure that this will work for me either....and then you have stated that you want to sell yours! The timing!?...and no doubt, they are not a cheap option even for people committed to such, none the less for me that has ordered a cheaper option, with doubts that it will work anyway. What to do? What to do?
I shall be in touch.
Rgds: Dave

Good on ya' MP9..."ah ha!" LoL...I love your response! If I was closer and not located in the @r*#-end of the world, I'd join with you to buy a pair! I'm still laughing. 'ah ha'....these Seas Exotic have created a dreadfull situation for me that I cannot resolve....and maybe others of you? I'm not so alone in my universe of torment anymore! I know that 'single driver' stuff is about audio response etc and not money, but if this was the case, I'd buy them straight out and not worry. So what stops me? For me I guess I am waiting for the creative souls of this site to suggest styles and measurements of cabinets that will work with them rather than a factory statement suggesting what is best. Sclalars put his in an 80 litre BR and says he got great sound...better than his Lowthers! The factory states: 60 litre sealed. Mr Pass has tried OB...and got great sound? Since I am not a genious with this stuff, (yeah, I know you have already noticed!) I have to utilise knowledge worked-out by others. And I don't want a failure especially if I've outlayed a couple of thousand dollars a pair (over here in Australia) and built cabinets and are dissatisfied!!!
The world of single drivers is changing isn't it? The choices are expanding each year. The sound is getting better and gaining more appeal/respect. Which is great...but with choice comes more difficulty in choosing.
But I cannot reconcile these drivers: SEAS Exotic. What to do, what to do?
Kind Regards: Dave

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ah ha, they're the second pair of exotics to come up for sale here and both had to be F4's:(

If you look at the specs you will see that the relative
sensitivities are different by about 3 dB. This means that
the 4 ohm version only requires about 40% more current
for the same acoustic output, not twice as you might imagine.

My experience is that they work fine with all but the most
wimpy amplifiers.

:cool:

Hi there Nelson Pass:
Fair point there. Apart from a collection of old amps (ie; Marantz PM4, Sansui AU999 and some vale amps), I have a Parasound HCA2200....that should drive them along a bit! However, I have a difficult room to drive sound in...it tends toward flat, dead or numb...sometimes all three! Anyway, that's a different issue. I guess the cabinet options are limited to the 60 litre sealed cabinet? This is fine, but I couldn't help but hope that there was something else that would/could get the best out of them. And yet, Sclalars put his in an 80 litre vented and liked the sound? Having less air pressure in the cabinet would result in lower cushioning effect and therefore potentially more driver movement. But this might not be good for the drivers. Ah well.
Thanks so much for responding.
Kind Regards: Dave T

Ty, but my Fi 2A3 magnequest DS-025 opt lacks a 4Ω tap. magnequest has a ES-025 opt with a different type of winding that has a 4Ω tap however the when a brand new pair came up for sale on ebay Mike L. told me the money would be better spent elsewhere unless i had planned on using a 4Ω load. not sure i have this correct but think the Fi2A3 amps damping factor output impedance/4Ω driver wouldn't be a good mix.

Or is a 60lt sealed (golden ratio) it?
That's what we have done and it behaves really nice. Wouldn't go another way, despite from a horn maybe.

Attachments

• exot.jpg
    exot.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 461
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.