Open baffles - best way to support them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just after people's advice on building a support for an open baffle so it doesnt fall over.

Would it be a good idea to have an adjustable support so the angle of the baffle can be varied?

Anyone have any tips on the best way to keep an open baffle standing up solidly?

I'm going to go for the centre 'wing' rather than the 2 side wings. My sizing is based on MJK's simulation software, which is basically modelling only the front panel - side wings would change this quite a lot. It also allows me to support the drivers' magnets (I didn't have a picture of either of the drivers I'm using, so this is just a mock up) which I like to do in my sealed boxes as well.

To stop it tipping forwards, I'm going to use a couple of little fillets, probably in both corners; maybe in the centre; possibly all across the whole unit. Not sure of the exact size, it'll depend on the SAF required...

Hi wixy, I cut up the baffles and then got a lovely ear infection and haven't been able to use power tools or listen to music for a couple of weeks... but I'm on the hard drugs now and hopefully it'll clear up soon. Then I can post some pics...

Attachments

• ob.jpg
    ob.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 695
HAY! i like my OBs. I been dinking around and have them in the corners now with a 14" square OB set 90 degrees to the LF OB. and the mid/HF OB aimed directly at my depression in the couch(OK a little higher).

Sorry, but the LF response is stronger and appears to extend lower than setting the whole thing out in the middle of the room.
The open sound is still there but with a stronger/lower LF response. The angle to my butt depression is around 37 degrees off of perpendicular to the wall intersection. Given a 45 degree from the walls.

Much better, try it. Simple (like me) and easy. Still dosent give the room filling response of the A166 (and the LF depth response as well) but for a simple build and the clean open sound , its hard to beat.

ron

I am not pushing the A166, i dont have to, its just the only comparasion i can give.

Ronc -

Glad you posted dimensions. OB's are in my plans as well and I had not given serious thought to 'butt depression' factors. Do you recommend measuring this in 'Company is here' upright position or standard 'reclined? Are these best measured nude or in skivvies or should 'Public appearance clothing' be factored in? Should the bottle of beer normally positioned resting between legs be set on the Wife provided end table to get a more accurate measurement?

Thanks -

Bluto

Cloth Ears said:
I'm going to go for the centre 'wing' rather than the 2 side wings. My sizing is based on MJK's simulation software, which is basically modelling only the front panel - side wings would change this quite a lot. It also allows me to support the drivers' magnets (I didn't have a picture of either of the drivers I'm using, so this is just a mock up) which I like to do in my sealed boxes as well.

To stop it tipping forwards, I'm going to use a couple of little fillets, probably in both corners; maybe in the centre; possibly all across the whole unit. Not sure of the exact size, it'll depend on the SAF required...

Hi wixy, I cut up the baffles and then got a lovely ear infection and haven't been able to use power tools or listen to music for a couple of weeks... but I'm on the hard drugs now and hopefully it'll clear up soon. Then I can post some pics...

Looks like a good idea. Looking forward to pics once yours are completed!

I'm still thinking though that it might be a good idea to somehow incorporate a stand that would allow for the angle of the baffle to be easily altered. Would any advantages be gained by angling the baffle so it faces 'upwards'? Or is having it at 90 degrees to the floor the best option?

ronc [/i][B]HAY! i like my OBs. I been dinking around and have them in the corners now with a 14" square OB set 90 degrees to the LF OB. and the mid/HF OB aimed directly at my depression in the couch(OK a little higher). The angle to my butt depression is around 37 degrees off of perpendicular to the wall intersection. Given a 45 degree from the walls. ron [/B][/QUOTE] I find it difficult to imagine what you are talking about here :rolleyes:. Do you mean a LF corner dipole with the baffle at 45° to each wall? And what would be the effective angle between the baffle plane and your listening axis then? Somehow like this: [IMG]https://www.kingdom.uk.com/jdfiles/in_room_close_full1.jpg[/IMG] Thanks for helping me to understand. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wixy said:
I'm still thinking though that it might be a good idea to somehow incorporate a stand that would allow for the angle of the baffle to be easily altered. Would any advantages be gained by angling the baffle so it faces 'upwards'? Or is having it at 90 degrees to the floor the best option?

For low frequencies it does change next to nothing whether your baffle is upright or angled. But for rigidities sake a non-adjustable construction would be better IMHO.
You may consider to make the HF section adjustable on its own.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cloth Ears said:
I'm going to go for the centre 'wing' rather than the 2 side wings.

That's the ticket. I've gone to center support since the system
I showed at RMAF. Side wings destroy the clean cancellation of
the flat baffle in the midrange, and the result is some serious
diffraction.

If you feel the need for side panels, I suggest using them only
at the bottom, in support of the woofer.

Why is it I don't consider wasting long expanses of timber on OB's?

How about a Shoji screen with thin silk grilles painted in some interesting watercolor style? The wings could be a muted wallpaper

I've got that pair of Roland 8 " that everyone (GM in particular) say that the OB is the only potential use for 'em.

lon (continuing to experiment with making phase plugs)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.