Making Chili

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Though if I find a recipe for Kimchi, I'm may reconsider:).

Thoughts, suggestions, comments.

I'm using Maple Plywood 3/4 no void 10 ply. Biscuit joining all joints. The triangle at back of CC, can the slope of the triangle be arced? I can make a cove on the tablesaw. I was thinking of covering the exposed plywood edges with 1x3/4 Black Walnut. Which would mean plywood-wood-plywood joint on the corners. Good or bad? It'll be pretty. Mind you, that'll be all biscuit jointed, making the biscuits cross/interlock. Thinking of spacing them 3-4 inches apart.

Planning on cutting this weekend, if I get my tablesaw out of storage and setup.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Secips said:
The triangle at back of CC, can the slope of the triangle be arced?

The purpose is to have an obstruction between the 2 port exits, so shape shouldn't be overly critical.

I was thinking of covering the exposed plywood edges with 1x3/4 Black Walnut. Which would mean plywood-wood-plywood joint on the corners. Good or bad? It'll be pretty.

Chris built some like this... a lot of work, but gourgeous. I don't see any problems sonics wise.

dave

I need some help.

I've been playing around with FE167Es. To break them in I'm using a Fostex 15l VB. First impressions, for the size it has a lot of good midbass. Its very smooth, maybe too smooth. So far, so good. Images well but it seems to be lacking in the detail department.

I'm ready to put it in a Chili Chang which is the original intent. But... I'm rather concerned that the bass may become overpowering in my room. I have double thick walls/ceiling and concrete under carpet. Its a very efficient room. Its 8x13x20 closed room, I put my speakers on the short wall. I was looking at the Pawo and it may be perfect for my application as I put my speakers 4-5 ft from the back wall and
1-2 feet from the side walls. With the ports side firing into the center of the room may help with the holes there are. Right now, I don't need BSCs even with a baffle only as wide as the speaker. But the Pawo doesn't use a 167e. I was wondering, if a 167 can be put in a Pawo. Metronome or Demetri, but I plan to use this box with a Hemp FR8. Or....(drum roll) A half-Chili-Chang :D. GR box? Side-firing port? What do you think?

I'll have to change recipes then. Too bad, I've got the ingredients prepared. Then again, I could always use it for something else. Where do I get the recipe? Thanks.

Sorry, to be a pest but a half chili chang maybe attractive size-wise. Sound-wise if its as punchy as the 15l VB.(I'm sure it'll much better) It could be quite popular.

Fire an email Dave's way & he should be able to get the preliminary plans to you.

I did a single vent version some time ago -probably buried in Dave's email. We have to fit this in amongst paying work & PhD research respectively, so it takes a while for things to appear. It won't be as effective as the double-mouth version, so the latter tends to take precidence with others following.

Just wanted to add a picture of the ingredients

Black Walnut
2187211829_803599f6ff.jpg

Chili in pieces
2187211667_6817c026c4.jpg

Here's some half-chili-changs. I modified them a bit. I use a GR box and mounted the drive on the side. I decided on a GR box primarily because of the wide baffle. Located the driver, best guess using prime numbers, listening height and baffle width. The idea is to locate the speaker close to the sidewall and port firing into the center of the room. I could also couple the port onto the sidewall to get more bass. I'm playing around with them a I'll let you guys know how it works out. So far, its promising. I'm going to build a standard half-chili-chang to compare.

I
2206871578_3aebb6b0b8.jpg

2206871844_039972b23b.jpg

Likewise. :)

Just a quick word of warning here guys: shifting air-cavity dimensions to golden ratio or whatever is all very well (assuming I designed the original as a BR, not a QW box) -but it also means the waveguide shape will change, away from the original profile, which is carefully selected. So I can't guarantee it will work the way it's intended to in advance.

Dave,

I'm glad you like the brace.

Scott,

What! No guarantees! Don't worry, I only have you to blame if things don't work my way :D. Glad you like the brace too.

Anyway, some quick notes. Compared to the Fostex 15L VB. Bass is not as punchy but more articulate. Acoustic bass sounds far better. The Fostex is too punchy for my tastes anyway, gets tiresome after awhile. Imaging, details, timbre all much improved. Need to listen to it more... and test. I suspect that a hole around 1k is gone or reduced markedly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.