Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Feastrex

Feastrex Hand crafted speakers

Old 6th October 2007, 08:53 PM   #71
diyAudio Member

Agreed 100% Martin's work and contributions have been a massive benefit to the audio community & it would be considerably worse off without him.

BTW, these cab designs will ultimately find a home with their Spawn cousins (they're intended to be part of that range) on the frugal-horn site. The larger unit already slots into Chang nicely, no mods needed, like a selection of Fostex / AN etc units.
Old 6th October 2007, 10:13 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Chris, thanks for the D5nf dimensions drawing. Do you know the diameter of the basket for cutting through hole? My calipers are not long enough to measure it myself. EDIT: nevermind, I got it. Subtraction - what a concept. hehe

Scottmoose, I am making a cad dwg of your D5nf box described above. When I finish I will post it here so you guys can check if my interpretation is correct.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 6th October 2007, 11:12 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

I made a drawing to build this, so I am sharing. Can you check it over to make sure it matches your intent? Thanks

Should driver be high as possible on baffle or centered?
All parts solid "one by" (13/16") spruce board

Design name? Design credit? Donation to Martin? Lemme know if you want me to comment the drawing, like "Designed by Scottmoose using software created by Martin King. For DIY only. Not for commercial use. "

I will update the drawing with your comments.
Thanks
Rich
Old 7th October 2007, 12:12 AM   #74
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich. The diagram is correct, though the slot-vent only needs to be the 3/4in thickness of the build material in length. Front-back it's 1in, vertical, 3/4in. I'd mount the driver-centre 5.75in down from the internal top.

This is one of my Spawn designs & part of the Frugal-horn project (a CAD diagram will appear there in the near future). As such it's free for DIY purposes; commercial use must be discussed with the relevant parties.

If you could add the 'Designed by Scottmoose using software created by Martin J. King' to your diagram, that would be great -thanks for being willing to add that. Always best to cover all bases. We'll think up a name for it too -any suggestions guys?

Speaking for www.frugal-horn.com, which I designed this cabinet for, a small donation to the site is always much appreciated -it helps keep it going (same goes for any of the Spawn boxes). That's purely a voluntary thing DIY builders can do should they wish -we don't request anything, it's there for the community. At the risk of speaking for Martin, should you wish to make a small private donation to him for the software that was used in creating the design, then again, I suspect it will be appreciated. Being a decent bloke, Martin never asks for anything for DIY boxes designed in his software, but I imagine the gesture
Old 7th October 2007, 02:18 AM   #75
diyAudio Member

Thanks Scottmoose. I will update it tomorrow.

BTW, I think it looks great too! It has that "beautiful by nature" thing about its proportions. I gotta check out your other designs.
Rich
Old 7th October 2007, 04:26 AM   #76
diyAudio Member

Drawing edited, see original post above. Refresh (F5) if necessary.

PM with any changes you would like. I intend to incorporate Chris' rear driver mounting scheme as used by Feastrex. Requires removable rear panel, and airtight seal system while still looking good and being easy to make, so that's not happening today.

I nominate the name "MooseFeast 5"
'Peta' types may not appreciate that name... haha
Thanks for the great plan Scott, I hope to get started building it on Monday when kids get back to school. I looked up Martin's quarter-wave.com website, wow, that is some heavy stuff. I see my multi-driver OB design there too. Thanks for the link.

Your Spawn designs are WILD!
Rich
Old 7th October 2007, 05:59 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottmoose
Speaking for www.frugal-horn.com,
Scott, the link as you wrote it didn't work with my browser because of the comma.

http://www.frugal-horn.com

-- Chris Witmer
Old 7th October 2007, 07:14 AM   #78
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Chris,

Thanx for the QC, i've fixed Scott's link. (i'll move yours and my post out in a bit)

dave
Old 8th October 2007, 03:02 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Default Frugel Horn and Feastrex D5nf

I'm thinkin about stuffing the D5nf into my Frugle Horn Box...
It's built with a removable supra baffle...so it would be easy to add or subtract CC internal area.

Do any of you have a clue if this might work.

Phil
Old 8th October 2007, 03:39 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

If you have a decision to purchase D5nf drivers hinging on the ability to use them in your current enclosures, I would try to beg, borrow, or steal one D5nf unit from somebody to try it out first.

Click the image to open in full size.

They are much different but the Hasehiro company in Japan makes constant-width horns for a large selection of drivers which they accommodate using a relatively small number of basic templates by adding more layers for some drivers and using fewer layers for other drivers.

I was present when the D5nf was demonstrated in this box and was surprised to see people placing orders for the D5nf drivers in Hasehiro boxes on the spot. I was surprised because even though the D5nf drivers sounded better than many other drivers demonstrated, to my ears the D5nf were not realizing anywhere near their proper potential.

Mr. Teramoto hit upon the main reason immediately. He told the proprietor of Hasehiro, "You have to add more layers -- with this small number of layers the horn throat is overly constricted and the drivers can't move the amount of air that they would normally want to move." The proprietor was surprised because what Mr. Teramoto was specifying was a number of layers that would be appropriate for a much larger driver. Especially with its high Qts of 0.6 (!), the D5nf is comfortably capable of a much larger range of cone movement than most horn-loaded fullranges. So you don't want to overly constrict its throat.

In fact, of all the Feastrex drivers, it is, based on its T/S parameters, the last one that one would intuitively think horn-loading. And yet . . .

http://www.maxxhorn.com/

WITH THE RIGHT HORN DESIGN, I'm quite sure good results can be achieved. I'm just not sure you can pop it into a box designed for a much lower Qts driver and get really ideal results.

Rich Hollyday fell in love with his D5nf units when he heard them playing through Hedlund Horns, which were surely a mismatch in various ways, but one good thing may have been that the larger horn's throat was a good enough match.

Of course, hopefully people more closely connected with the project will give you their opinion, which probably counts for more than mine since they can punch in numbers where I can't, and they have a lot more experience than I do.

-- Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!