• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THOSE LEATHER SURROUNDS, PLEASE.

Until very recently I was using a pair of Exact drivers that had been in service since the early 1970s. (Feastrex was originally a joint venture between the founder of Exact and the principals of Feastrex.) When I sold my Exact drivers they still had a lot of life left in them after more than 30 years of use.

I know from conversations with Exact's Mr. Sano that the surrounds of the Exact drivers of that era are less than what he considers ideal in terms of durability. He told me that new methods of treating leather that were developed since then greatly improved the durability of the surrounds.

The bottom line is that the Feastrex leather surrounds will likely outlive most of their owners.

On the other hand, putting any treatment on the surrounds runs the risk of creating unforeseen and undesirable consequences for the driver (such as changing their sound), so I advise against it.

By the way, as long as we are talking about driver longevity, degredation of the lignin in paper is one factor that causes it to deteriorate over time. The paper used in Feastrex drivers contains no lignin at all. I don't know if that's the only reason for the stability of the paper, but there are plenty of specimens of this paper still in excellent shape after five centuries.

-- Chris

Feastrex cones are very durable and not as easiliy damaged as the cones of other speakers. However, if the cone needs to be replaced, it is not something that a speaker repair technician can easily do. Not only is the surround made of leather, it is a ROLLED leather surround. A flat piece of leather is formed into a three-dimensional curved shape so that it functions well as the surround of a cone transducer . . . I think it is safe to say there is not a speaker repair technicion on the planet who could do that without a LOT of practice. So as a practical matter, reconing can only be done by the manufacturer.

A $0.05 urethane edge or a cloth surround could be repaired by anyone. But there are valid sonic reasons for using leather surrounds rather than conventional surrounds. Feastrex had to make a choice between the better sound or the greater convenience, and they chose the former at the expense of the latter . . .

leather...

I did feel that the leather surround contributed well to the sound of the driver.

I also sincerely hope that feastrex is in fact making them as durable as they say...

I have a 1929 radio with a leather surround on the 10 inch field coil driver. the thing has not been treated well in its day to say the least. tube electronics are extremely robust, however. the amp has only needed minimal repairs since i got it. The leather, as well, is in fact in tact, and the thing sounds great. lots of that big ol'-microdynamic triode sound.

so it is possible to use leather properly.

I tend to like cloth surrounds, rubber impregnated, or even foam, rubber impregnated. I feel that these styles also age well sonically, and perhaps are a little more practical in a home.

then again, how practical is a multi thousand dollar full ranger anyways?

so there you go. (I am not knocking the concept, I mean geez, I own a pair of expensive drivers myself...). I just feel that the mega expensive market in general is not necessarily the direction that audio is going for many reasons. these are all the things that nag us in the back of our head when we try to go to sleep: the Ipod, the ever compressing dynamics of recorded music. our collective lack of attention span for music. this is only a pendulum swing lets hope... well lets hope. the history of audio (and music, for that matter) simply points in the unfortunately obvious direction that I have laid forth here.

art relies on the few that remember, however.

headphones, computer speakers, et cetera lead to the path of the single driver for home hifi use. that is, if people get a clue...

I guess I hope that the feastrex technology trickles down to the masses in some way or another. that we can trust that in time, people will hear them, become inspired, and continue the search for musical exstacy through this wonderfully dynamic world single drivers.

The owners will hopefully take care of them. I think it would be alright to treat the leather with moisterizers at the discretion of the owner.

leather can dry under certain conditions. I mean, it isn't stone. It will change eventually. factory treatment can only delay that inevitable change and breakdown.

Clark

Glad to hear you finished already Phil. It is simple to make huh? You received your drivers and installed already? How bout a link to that Jasper circle cutter? Thanks!

Planet10, just teasing with the names. Waiting for the official christening, then I will behave ;) The designs on your site are very interesting.
Rich

Wild Feastrex Box

I didn't like the pine box...I scrapped it and rebuilt it with 3/4" baltic birch. The ply birch is FLAT.
I talked to Joe (US importer) today and he said the Drivers are delayed until the end of the month. (Oct 30)...

So at least my credit card is happy, at the moment.

The rebuild I think will be a better choise for me cause I live in a climate the is really dry. Typically under 10%. That low humidity plays havoc with dimensional lumber. It will cup twist and shrink all at the same time and this will happen with in one day. Pine is maybe the worst. Maple is good.

I'm making the back fit within the sides. Still removable but it looks better to me.
I do not try to cover up the edges of the plywood since I like the way they look and it clearly shows what the box was built with.
I'm not a big fan of MDF...To my ears it has a funny ring.

Phil
Santa Fe

Feastrex D5nf availability

I spoke to Joe Cohen today, factory has completed the run of drivers and he expects to seem them next week. I also ordered a pair which should arrive to me within 10-14 days.

Looking forward to playing with these, looking at doing a TL design with them and SET power.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.