Temp job

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DigitalJunkie said:
Dude...Don't feel bad.
I can't even get the gas station to call me back. :bigeyes:

I flat out gave up looking for a short while..I handed in countless applications and resumes..Nada damn thing.
Then I got a good lead on an apprentice gig at a local A/V repair place...but it fell through too. (Damn,and I *wanted* that job.)

Highly Discouraging. :dodgy:

Employment in Oregon has been crap ever since the Dot-Com crash..
They say it's getting better,But I dont believe them. :whazzat:

Cold calling is actually a good thing.

Switchboard operators are actually trying to stop bill collectors or 'accounts recievable' total PITA collectors from bothering the accounting folks at a given firm. Someone sounding bright eyed, bushy tailed and ambitious can actually work. And many companies ARE actually looking for a new employee or two..as they may be saddled with idiots whom they want to get rid of. There's about a 100% chance of that.

This is commonplace.

So continue to cold call, but be upfront about your intentions. And sound cognizant and eager, but not rude or pushy. Start the conversation with an outright apology for taking up their time-put them in a position where they have the upperhand..and can afford to -and desire to- be gratious and accomodating to a reasonable, caring and thinking individual..such as you. And they will likely give you the name and the extention of the correct individual to speak with, or the address to send the resume, and the right names to send it to. This won't work every time, but it -will work-far more often than a standard cold call. What you are doing is attacking them on their blind side, playing the emotional card to sneak past their intellect. This tactic works best with women, in being a guy searching for work. Sound slightly wounded, if you have to, but not whiney. ie, the emotional undercurrent of the conversation is the critical component. Play around with it. Think about it. who wouldn't want to be working with such a nice, friendly, thinking, and hard working guy..such as you? This must be their immediate impression. Impressions are an emotional thing.

Get it?

For example, I go to a Timmy's coffee shop, in particular. This one is full of 60 year old grannies, where their kids have left home, and their grandkids come around at times. They want to feed somebody. I'm very friendly and personal in my conversations with them, like I've known them all my life.

They mother me...they feed me. I get HUGE sandwiches from them. Way overloaded.

Now that I think about it..I have never failed to get past the switchboard, using this technique.

KBK said:
What you are doing is attacking them on their blind side, playing the emotional card to sneak past their intellect.
As a PUA, I'm good at doing these things in that in face to face meetings (I even got the account manager in my bank to reduce all my bank fees to student levels even though I wasn't a student without me having to ask directly), but I'm not very good over the phone, where I can't rely on body language and touching. Still, I'm going to try this if my current trial doesn't lead to a permanent.

60 year old grannies, where their kids have left home, and their grandkids come around at times. They want to feed somebody. I'm very friendly and personal in my conversations with them, like I've known them all my life.
I can see that working, and I get along very well with the elderly, but I'm not sure in Vancouver specifically it would be easy to pull off (though when I was in Italy, I got a bunch of Italian old ladies to give me food and we didn't even speak each other's language...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.