Temp job

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently completed the requirements for my degree (MSc in comp.sci.), and started looking for a job. But I realized that this is something that takes time; worse, being close to the holidays, I actually had one person I spoke to on the phone tell me "we don't really want to make hiring decisions around Christmas". So I guess I have bad timing. Unfortunately, I cannot survive for the month or so it will take me to find a job, so I'm curious how I'd go about getting a low skilled temp job. Should I omit mentioning my education, lest they say I'm overqualified or something? As someone that's never worked a day in his life, I'm at a total loss in approaching all this. But I've no choice, as my bank account is at the overdraft limit, credit cards maxed out, and bills unpaid for over a month (and I'm too close to the end of the term to apply for a student loan, something I didn't do before since I underestimated the time it will take to get started with the job search). So, any random advice is appreciated. I don't even know where to best look for jobs. In Vancouver classifieds or job sites, temp jobs don't really seem to be advertised, and I've seen very few 'help wanted' signs when walking around the neighborhood or downtown...

I suggest you look at dice.com and try to get an entry-level job in your area. If you are proficient in C++ or C#, there is always maintenance work to be done. That will also give you the opportunity to get to know staffing agencies, as many of the jobs are posted by them on behalf of their clients. They can help you get a short term contract to get started.

Here in the US we have what are called "Temp Agencies". They are companies that are paid to find workers for other companies. They will find you a job based on your skills and/or work history.

They are not the best choice for a permanent source of income, but they can usually find you a job pretty fast. Most people resort to them when in a situation like yours.

You should see if there is such a service up there.

Best of luck.

Not at all. In the type of contract jobs that are listed on dice.com and other job boards, you turn in your time sheet, with the client's signature, to the staffing agency, that pays you on a weekly, bi-weekly or semi-monthly schedule. However, the bigger agencies, like Tek Systems for example, have dealt with people in your situation before and may be able, at the account manager's discretion, to advance you some money after you start working.
The contracts in which you are paid after delivery are those you find at rent-a-geek or similar web sites, a totally different thing.

I find a lot of companies very opaque to applicants. They have online application submission form and that's it. Tried calling a few to get more information about the company and/or job, but can't get to talk to anyone with anything, they just say, submit the online application...

Geek, I didn't meant recruiting agencies, but companies that have job postings, such as MacDonald Dettwiler. I called up the switchboard at MDA, for example, and asked to be transfered to the specific division, but they said if I was looking for a job I can't talk to anyone and can only do the online submission.

Nixie said:
Weak mind? I'd think that a master's degree in computer science is not indicative of that.

I call bullspit on that one, I have a Master's as well and went to graduate school with a lot of people I wouldn't even want doing my taxes :D

But back to the show, anyway to get to Calgary? The job market here is insane, some businesses here are starting to close up shop because they just can't hire staff.

Jebus Nixie, you are cutting it close.

I'll contact Curt Palme, a member of the AVSforum. He is a longstanding resident of the Vancouver area (~20 years), and has serviced and installed audio/video systems there in just about every single building and commercial enterprise. a damn fine human being....Whom I (just remembered!...oops...) still owe $300 to... Hi Curt! :D :xeye: (hides under couch) I still have the damn tubes too. Although he probably has no use for them now. crap.

If anyone can help you, he can.

I'll go and drop a private message in his PM box at the forum, and I'll follow up with a phone call, and direct him to this thread. No PM, I dumped this right into a thread he contributed to, this very afternoon.

Ok. Done. He has been directed..uh..directly to this thread.

Heh... actually my weight has been pretty much constant despite any variations in food intake (as in, +/- 1000 Cal/day variations for long period at a time each). Went to all the doctors, underwent an insane array of tests, and... nothing abnormal. Genetic predetermination.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.