Amazing $1.50 DIY interconnects!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tonight I made up a "Dr.Gizmo" recipe magnet wire interconnect, with the cheap stamped Radio Shack plugs. This was described in the 'Wire Men' issue of Listener, Vol.7 No.2. Not much to it, but if anyone wants the article I can scan it. I made a very short pair, only around 10" long (25cm). Not sure what guage magnet wire this is, I'd guess it's 28 or 32 awg. I haven't as yet arranged the wires in the prescribed way.

Y'know what... It sounds damn good! .:bigeyes:

Better than the DH Labs Silver Sonic wire I was using- DIY made with "Teflon" style plugs. Those plugs are such a tight fit they'd become a real PITA to use...my amp only has one input so I need to pull i/c's a fair bit. Good riddance to them, I won't need 'em now.

I also use magnet wire #32 for my 4 meter interconnect. I cannot afford the commercial ones, due to the lenght so I made this.

The hard part for me is putting it inside the teflon tube, and then braiding it, all 4 meters of it / interconnect. Of course stereo so, 8 meters total.

Sonically, I would say it is satisfying.

However, my last room re-arrangement caused the 4 meter to be unsufficient in lenght :( So I bought a commercial interconnect which is dirt cheap- Quantum, I use it now, but I still prefer the magnet wire.

When I find time to braid a 10-meter one, I'll go for it again ;)

Eva said:
Isn't placebo effect a wonderful thing? :)

It makes people happy, sometimes without expending a fortune.

Explain what you mean. What part of two simple wires carrying audio signal is succeptible to a "placebo effect?"

AFAIK, there are no outlandish claims made about the technology these interconnects. Just claims that they sound good. That's not out of the realm of the very possible for this technology.

Also, have you listened to these interconnects? If you haven't, don't make broad dismissive statements. If you have, please limit the statements to your own personal experience.

I, myself, have made these intereconnects and find that they sound very good. Incredibly good, in fact. Overall, though, I prefer an intereconnect with a little more body and richness. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these to friends who don't want to spend a fortune on components, however. My brother uses them in his system and he really enjoys it.

Best,
KT

KT, you are experiencing the placebo effect, and are unaware of it; OR, you have ears that should be insured by Lloyd's.

Most people probably need not contact Lloyd's.

How about a spectrum analyzer to see what different flavors of noise are coming through with the different interconnects? What? You don't have a spectrum analyzer? Well, in that case, I have a very affordable brand of interconnects about to come on the market...

:) all in good fun... Some are believers... the rest, the believers would say have poorer equipment be it electronic or biological! ;)

The only problem with the rca plugs from Cheap Radio Shack is that they separate at the GND ring. If you move them one way they open up and they don't provide a proper ground. Thus why i don't use them. But the other trick is Thin wire.

Attachments

• rca plug-1.jpg
    rca plug-1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 553
hi y'ALL

so I have been making a cable for some time now called the breath of god. it is very similar. I personally use cryoed magnet wire, but cat5e is easier to deal with. usually the cat5e (more glare) is best for tube and analogue, and magnet (chiller) for SS, but eh...who cares. no hard set rules.

this is the message I attach to the cables:

This is the Breath of God Cable

Upon insertion, you will hear the Breath of God gently blowing through your entire audio system. If you lack the ability to hear this -not- so minute detail among the rest of the musical signal, then it is your problem. There are no returns, no refunds for your utter lack of innate musical and religious awareness.

I reserve no intellectual property rights on this design. All of the parts are available from Radio Shack. The RCA connectors are the venerable part no. 274-451. Solder is “high tech” silver bearing solder, part no. 64-035. Paste Flux was used, 64-022. The wire is a single twisted pair of cryogenically treated CAT5E network cable. The insulation is PVC electrical tape. The center conductor of the connector was soldered to the positive tab for added strength.

Minimalism is the only design philosophy behind this cable. Think: hookup wire inside your vintage tube amp and output transformer wire is likely very similar. There is consistency here. The benefit of this consistency, most usually, is beautiful music. Theoretically, every system needs a different type of cable to get the best tone. Every ear needs a different tone to attain a consistent ear-gasm.

This cable is pretty well rounded sonically I think. It is very detailed. A good motivator, it works well with vinyl, tube equipment, and chiller sounding solid state in general. Course, you might find that it serves better chopped up for use as twisty ties. Just because it came in a plastic bag, cost a few dollars in parts and has this angry note attached does not mean that it won’t bring the very breath of god into your already highly refined audio system.

The wire and connectors are relatively delicate, so don’t be fumble fisted when tearing down and setting up your system. You would not stick your finger through your speaker drivers, so don’t yank on your cables. You may find a benefit of the thin solid core conductors it that you can bend them into the right shape to stay put and avoid EMI. Bent over and over again, however, the wire will break. Sad day.

If they break, you will find them very easy to solder back together. In an effort to emphasize the impermanent nature of our tools of musical ecstasy, I have deliberately tried not to immortalize these cables. They will not transfer electricity as long as the roman aqueducts water. When music is over, it is gone. It disappears into the air.

An experiment by Harvey “Gizmo” Rosenburg was my personal inspiration for this design. His spirit no doubt lives on in all of us ultra-fi diyers.

Clark Blumenstein of -Cain & Cain-
Whitman College or -941 North 8th Ave-
Walla Walla WA 99362

blumenco,

I use some silver connectors on my cables. Altho i have researched and researched connector ends that does not have a mass metal on them. Still not able to find any. So for now i use the Solder less silver connectors from Johnson Audio. What ones would you recommend or do you use ?

I've tried the almost famous bullet plug but have to say they are the worst i have used and tried.

One : They are to tight.
Two : They wear out after about 8 time of un-connecting / Connecting
Three : They cost sooo much money.

pinkmouse said:
I would be a little worried about a 10m unscreened cable picking up noise...

That's why they invented the balanced circuit ;)

I think braiding will do in this relatively short cable. I believe anything under 100 m is short everywhere except in the la-la-land of high-end audio. The phone companies did it all the time in the old days.

jleaman said:
blumenco,

One : They are to tight.
Two : They wear out after about 8 time of un-connecting / Connecting
Three : They cost sooo much money.

Did you read the instructions on the packaging that tells you to heat them first before you use them? I have mine for over a year now swapping with 3 different amps, preamps, and still works like new.

phn said:

That's why they invented the balanced circuit ;)

I think braiding will do in this relatively short cable. I believe anything under 100 m is short everywhere except in the la-la-land of high-end audio. The phone companies did it all the time in the old days.

That's precisely why I braided my DIY interconnects. Unless I wrap the cable into my GSM phone, I never had problems with that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.